Genus Phormictopus

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phormictopus cancerides

Later, Tom
Congrats Tom!! I'm looking forward to seeing a few of those slings here!

---------- Post added 04-22-2012 at 08:58 AM ----------

The Phormictopus cochleasvorax is gorgeous! Nice photo Martin!!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Suppose ill post here.. Was sold as Sp. Purple.. But im begining to wonder as shes not rly purple in person... Heres a few pics and last one without flash she looks only purple in images but not so much irl looks brownish anyone elese have another idea?

Next by 1" vent and water cap

Last edited:

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice shot!! Hopefully you have a few females of that species too.

Are you maintaining Phormictopus platus as well?

David

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
phormictopus.jpg

This was sold to me as Phormictopus sp Purple. At 6", and a molt confirmed female, I'm starting to suspect its not. Am I crazy?

(photo taken with flash, in the dark)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This was sold to me as Phormictopus sp. Purple. At 6", and a molt confirmed female, I'm starting to suspect its not. Am I crazy?
Looks normal-ish P. cancerides to me. The problem is, what is sp."Purple" in the first place ? P. cancerides seem to vary in color. Is species "purple" a different species, or just a color variant of P. cancerides :? This is a spider I hatched from 2 "normal" P. cancerides.

Later, Tom

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks normal-ish P. cancerides to me. The problem is, what is sp."Purple" in the first place ? P. cancerides seem to vary in color. Is species "purple" a different species, or just a color variant of P. cancerides :? This is a spider I hatched from 2 "normal" P. cancerides.

Later, Tom
So would that mean that Phormictopus sp. Green could also possibly a color form of P.Cancerides?

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I thought it looked a lot like Cancerides myself. I've been trying to find information on Phormictopus in general (that isn't Cancerides), I've found some, but a lot of it is just brief descriptions. I wanted to breed these two females at some point, but now, being so hazy on what they are, don't think I will.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a female that was 6 1/2 inches and very reddish brown with a pink carapace . She recently molted into 7 inches and turned dark purple brown she is about 5 1/5 years old got her as a 1/2 in sling February 2011 .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjkun

Arachnopeon
I am about to receive a Phormictopus Cautus myself. Question is that how do they differ from the "sp. purple"??