Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Hi All, This female decided the front of her container looked like as good a place as any and has been at it for two days now. This pic was from early this morning. I just checked in on her and she has added a lot more webbing and looks ready to deposit some eggs tonight -- I hope. Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i have a good imagination...but not that good :D

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
B I N G O

edesign, does this help your imagination? LMAO

She was hanging half in and out of her webbing all day long and at around 11:00 PM she finally deposited.

Now for the hard part - leaving her alone for the next 5 weeks so she doesn't make lunch out of it.

Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Hi All, BlkCat thanks for the kind words!

I took one last peek at her this AM -- she has it rolled up and hanging on to it. I wish I had bought one of those mechanical mom incubators (going to get on ASAP) so that I could remove the sack from her. 5 weeks is a looong time for things to go wrong :eek:. Guess all I can do is to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I also have an Ephebopus uatuman on another eggsack that was laid 2 weeks prior to this one :D. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
ya that helps :D

hope the breeding is a success...how many eggs do they usually lay?

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wesome. Hope you have a good hatchout.

I just hatched a P. cancerides eggsac for a friend of mine. 21 slings and probably 60+ black eggs. If all the eggs had hatched we would be looking at 80-100 slings. I have no idea how typical this sac size was,

rubra

Arachnopeon
nice job getting that thing in focus - it usually takes me several tries to get a sling picture I like...

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My girlfriend actually snapped the shot during feeding last night. Our digital camera has a sweet macro on it.

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Update - Day 26

Hi all, Here we are at day 26 with budding Phormictopus cancerides nymphs from the female pictured above, she did a great job! :clap:

I mentioned earlier about also having an Ephebopus uatuman with another sack, well at day 24 I decided to take a look at her and was disappointed to see no sign of it. That made me decide at day 12 to pull the P cancerides sack as some was better than none. With the help and encouragement of good friends I set up an incubation container and began turning it 5 to 6 times daily with temps between 80 and 83.

Nine days later at day 21 I was starting to wonder when it was going to end LOL. I had to look and see what was going on in case it was infertile so I cut a small slit and saw that they all were clean and dry with no sign of bad eggs. I twisted it closed and continued to turn it until day 23 when 7 eggs rolled out as the slit kept reopening. I set these 7 up in another container and continued to watch them. On the morning of day 24 they began to bud :) so I thought the same was happening in the sack. Today was day 26 and I was hoping that there were no decomposing eggs in the sack contaminating the nymphs so I decided to dump them out. Here they are moments later, soon after spread out in one layer.

There were only 4 black eggs as well as 5 nymphs that were already cannibalizing, one which can be seen at the very top center as darker than the rest just munching away. I'll continue to post pics as they develop.

Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

pharaoh2653

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P.cancerides is one of my favorite species. i have one thats only 3/4" and its great. congrats on the sack and dont be afraid to send some of those slings my way. :worship:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been impatiently waiting the last few months for my cancerides to make a sac :evil: she still hasn't :wall: :wall:.... Congrats on the nymphs....

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Phormictopus cancerides spiderlings

Hi All, Here they are - all 174 of them after they stopped munching on each other. Doesn't really look like there are that many until you count them. They were 1st instar at day 40. These pics are at day 48. I seperated them into two incubators so that they would have more room.

Close up

Now all I have to do is nothing until they hit 2nd instar. It's been 5 weeks and I'm still waiting for them to molt as they're all sold and just waiting to be shipped.
Thanks for looking, Motz

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome pics. It looks like you have some Ts to sell:D

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did u mean 5 weeks since they moulted into 1st instar? I dont get instars lol. I have nymph2 grammy aureo slings and that is one up from eggs w/legs and 1 down from spiderlings.

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Hi Versimomma, Yes it has been 5 weeks since they molted for the first time. Upon the next molt (2nd instar any day now I hope LOL) they should begin feeding and be ready to ship. Thanks for looking, Motz