Phormictopus cancerides behaviour question

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
My female P. cancerides is exhibiting unusual behaviour and I'm hoping someone may have some insight. She molted on Jan 04/16 and is now approximately 7" and has been generally a pet rock. I noticed today that she has dug out the corner of her enclosure and filled her water dish with substrate. She was also sitting high on her legs and very slowly, alternately tapping her pedipalps. At this point I'm having doubts regarding gender. No clubs or hooks visible and the dealer I bought her from is very reliable. Any ideas?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sounds like a tarantula being a tarantula. They never have reasons for what they do. My mature female G. rosea has just recently started filling her water dish full of substrate for no reason. I really wouldn't think twice about it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We need pics. Male Phormictopus are much more colorful than the females. They have iridescent purple on most of their bodies, whereas females just have a little around the eyes.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
I wouldnt worry... Spiders are kind of like us homo sapiens, weird as hell.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spiders dont read the books that the 'experts' write so dont know how they are supposed to behave and they will do what they want to do, when they want to do it without worrying about their owners ideals what they should be doing :D