1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phoneutria Fera

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by Brownsberg, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Brownsberg

Brownsberg Arachnopeon

I went on a trip to suriname and I saw to specimens of phoneutria fera.
    now the stupid thing is, I forgot my camera. So I got no evidence to provide that I did see it. Underneath it had the typical tiger marking so to speak above they were black wit a redish abdomen. On specimen was pretty big I'd say aproximately 15 cm and a smaller specimen floating upside down in the river, I aproached it while swimming and confirmed tha it was Phoneutria fera.
    Poking in the leaflitter I saw a big spider, at first when I saw the big one I considderd it to be a smaller tarantula, after close inspection I changed that preconceived notion and asked the guide to reconfirm my hunch, yes a Ctenidae. And yes phoneutria fera they call it (grote bos spin) in Suriname. And locals are terrified with this species, so the guides walked past it pretty quick. I saw only two specimens on my expedition, so I would gues that Phoneutria fera is not realy a rare or seldom seen species for these parts of the Amazon.