Phlogius Hirsutus? Phlogius Crassipes "Eunice"?

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
Good Sunday to all, I hope everyone's having a fantastic weekend.

I was scouring GumTree for ads on Ts, just being nosey, when I came across one selling P Hirsutus (captive bred) slings (seller said they were approx 5cm in leg span) for 70 AUD each and another one selling captive bred P Crassipes "Eunice" male/female juvie for 200 AUD.

I couldn't really find much information anywhere about these 2 sp. I recognize that phlogius' tend to prefer substrate that is moister as they come from the rainforest (correct me if I'm wrong!) but nothing else on husbandry. Judging from the other phlogius slings I have, I would think that phlogius' are obligate burrowers as well? I'm asking because I'm trying to collate information about the Ts I have and their habits, husbandry etc:happy:

Another thing I wanted to find more about is the pricing of Ts. Are the prices I mentioned above reasonable for captive bred Ts? Should captive bred Ts be priced more highly as that would mean lesser chances of parasites etc? 70 AUD for a sling seems pretty steep to me. The ad has pictures (which the seller said were current) and most definitely didn't seem like only 5cm in LS to me.

Lastly, I'm also interested in expanding my current supplier list. So far, I've only come across 3 - JJs Little Stings, The Insectory and James Bindoff. Only bought from JJs and TI as I've heard not so good things about JB, also have had some first hand experience. JJs is fantastic; quick to respond, excellent customer service and reasonable prices. TI is alright; reasonable pricing but he does take quite a while to reply which I don't mind but it's on the level of ghosting sometimes:arghh: I know most people recommend GumTree but I'm iffy because I'm afraid of scammers. It would be nice to know more Aussie based suppliers!

This is such a long post but thanks in advance for reading and sharing your thoughts!:embarrassed:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hi! It's me again sorry :rofl: for suppliers, Minibeast wildlife is great. Their stock varies per season and if you check their Breeding Room page you can see all their current projects. I think Phlogius Kuranda is currently available but they have a lot of spiders and are the only way to currently but Australian whip spiders. The only people I've been scammed by on Gumtree are reptile sellers. I think the invertebrate hobbyist community is more respectful of its members just because of how few people enjoy it compared to other types of animal keeping.

As a general rule, Phlogius care is basically all identical with the exception of the pygmy rainforest tarantula (also only sold by Minibeast and kept communally) and Stents. Those 2 like it slightly more damp. You can't overfeed them or anything. Most species dig but a few like Rubiseta's and Goliath will display terrestrial behaviour. Just damp soil, starter burrow, a piece of bark, and spag moss in a corner for drinking.

Aussie T's are priced rather high, but $70 for 5cm DLS is actually pretty reasonable. $200 for an adult P.C."Eunice" is also surprising. As a general rule;
. $15-20 for a sling
. $30-50 for juvenile
. $60-75 for an adolescent
. $90-120 for a subadult
. $150-200 for a large adult

People rarely price correctly like this and Ive seen subadult Goliath males go for $300 in one petshop.

A but more info on Eunice, basically they are a lighter colour form of Crassipes. Being a Crassipes also means you should expect an insane growth rate. I would ask how big it's diagonal legspan is. If it's around 20cm, that's a spot on price. Hope this helps a bit

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
Hi! It's me again sorry :rofl: for suppliers, Minibeast wildlife is great. Their stock varies per season and if you check their Breeding Room page you can see all their current projects. I think Phlogius Kuranda is currently available but they have a lot of spiders and are the only way to currently but Australian whip spiders. The only people I've been scammed by on Gumtree are reptile sellers. I think the invertebrate hobbyist community is more respectful of its members just because of how few people enjoy it compared to other types of animal keeping.

As a general rule, Phlogius care is basically all identical with the exception of the pygmy rainforest tarantula (also only sold by Minibeast and kept communally) and Stents. Those 2 like it slightly more damp. You can't overfeed them or anything. Most species dig but a few like Rubiseta's and Goliath will display terrestrial behaviour. Just damp soil, starter burrow, a piece of bark, and spag moss in a corner for drinking.

Aussie T's are priced rather high, but $70 for 5cm DLS is actually pretty reasonable. $200 for an adult P.C."Eunice" is also surprising. As a general rule;
. $15-20 for a sling
. $30-50 for juvenile
. $60-75 for an adolescent
. $90-120 for a subadult
. $150-200 for a large adult

People rarely price correctly like this and Ive seen subadult Goliath males go for $300 in one petshop.

A but more info on Eunice, basically they are a lighter colour form of Crassipes. Being a Crassipes also means you should expect an insane growth rate. I would ask how big it's diagonal legspan is. If it's around 20cm, that's a spot on price. Hope this helps a bit
Suuuper duuuper helpful! Thanks so much @RezonantVoid:happy: Just to further clarify the part about the P Crassipes - Is the PC "Eunice" just one type of PC? Are there other forms or just the "Eunice" at the moment?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Suuuper duuuper helpful! Thanks so much @RezonantVoid:happy: Just to further clarify the part about the P Crassipes - Is the PC "Eunice" just one type of PC? Are there other forms or just the "Eunice" at the moment?
Yea there's a bunch of different forms but I reckon there will be a clarification soon that should class them all seperately. I can't remember all the forms off memory, but my favourite one is PC "Hampden", the grow to look a bit different than the other forms

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
Yea there's a bunch of different forms but I reckon there will be a clarification soon that should class them all seperately. I can't remember all the forms off memory, but my favourite one is PC "Hampden", the grow to look a bit different than the other forms
Woah! I've never even heard of that one before. I'm looking forward to that classification.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
If I can put in my 2 cents regarding pricing, buying privately should be around half the price of buying from a reseller or pet shop which is understandable, legally, pet stores can only buy from suppliers with a permit which isn't cheap, for the greater good of the hobby/industry dirt cheap, wild caught are detrimental to those purchasing relevant permits and doing the right thing.
I purchased hirsutus slings earlier this year at 20 each but is a good price as they can be hard to get despite the fact that they grow like weeds lol.
As far as slings go phlogius species are generally commanding a higher price than selenotypus due to being more popular.
Other than this forum, I have nothing at all to do with social media so can't comment on those other suppliers but have bought from JB before with no issues, the amount of breeder tubs and not for sale stock james has on his shelves is phenomenal, chances of getting wild caught through him is slim, and will also second mini beast these guys are solid.
This season I've noticed a trend with australian breeders that insist on keeping slings on sopping wet sub with no air vents, I've seen it online, gumtree and quite a few pet shops and is piss poor practice that needs to be discouraged, I walked away from a $200 purchase of bulk slings after an hour long drive due to just this.
The other concerning thing is people crossing locales either intentionally or not, it's not on and then these mongrels get ploughed back into the hobby with slings sold as either soecies ( for eg p.proserpine X p.kuttabul or s.champagne X s.yellow).
I texted a screen shot of a gumtree hirsutus ad to @RezonantVoid recently and the main pic is like no hirsutus I've ever seen, so always a case of buyer beware.
There are secure ways of buying privately say via PayPal etc.
I always have Gumtree ads up (keeps my gorgeous wife off my back lol), but honestly I don't want to sell anything atm and tend to just trade/swap mostly.

Oompoofishy

Arachnopeon
If I can put in my 2 cents regarding pricing, buying privately should be around half the price of buying from a reseller or pet shop which is understandable, legally, pet stores can only buy from suppliers with a permit which isn't cheap, for the greater good of the hobby/industry dirt cheap, wild caught are detrimental to those purchasing relevant permits and doing the right thing.
I purchased hirsutus slings earlier this year at 20 each but is a good price as they can be hard to get despite the fact that they grow like weeds lol.
As far as slings go phlogius species are generally commanding a higher price than selenotypus due to being more popular.
Other than this forum, I have nothing at all to do with social media so can't comment on those other suppliers but have bought from JB before with no issues, the amount of breeder tubs and not for sale stock james has on his shelves is phenomenal, chances of getting wild caught through him is slim, and will also second mini beast these guys are solid.
This season I've noticed a trend with australian breeders that insist on keeping slings on sopping wet sub with no air vents, I've seen it online, gumtree and quite a few pet shops and is piss poor practice that needs to be discouraged, I walked away from a $200 purchase of bulk slings after an hour long drive due to just this.
The other concerning thing is people crossing locales either intentionally or not, it's not on and then these mongrels get ploughed back into the hobby with slings sold as either soecies ( for eg p.proserpine X p.kuttabul or s.champagne X s.yellow).
I texted a screen shot of a gumtree hirsutus ad to @RezonantVoid recently and the main pic is like no hirsutus I've ever seen, so always a case of buyer beware.
There are secure ways of buying privately say via PayPal etc.
I always have Gumtree ads up (keeps my gorgeous wife off my back lol), but honestly I don't want to sell anything atm and tend to just trade/swap mostly.
Always would want yours and @RezonantVoid’s thought on things!

I personally prefer captive bred as well due to reduced chances of parasitic infections, unknown age etc.

I’ll definitely try JB some day and I’m waiting for Minibeast Wildlife to update their inventory as well.

Why do I have a feeling that it’s the same ad I’m asking about...The main pic looked like a Stents to me (or at least looked like the Stents I’ve seen on here as well as other forums).

If you ever want to sell, please keep me in the loop. I’m always keen to see what people are offering.

Thanks so much for your input

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My only experience with JB was 2 WC S.Wallace, first one packed horrendously with no ventilation and it died, and second replacement with even worse packaging, more mites and one ventilation hole that was probably it's saving grace. And some pretty unhelpful messages in between placing the death of the postage team and not the obviously terrible packing.

I'll give it them to them that it the company was transferring elsewhere and it was probably busy, but IMO that's no excuse to drop the shipping standards

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This sounds terrible. People don't consider that hybridization?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
How was this conclusion reached? I'm just rather curious is all.
It'd not really much different than the B.Albo forms. Crossing the 2 is easy but is looked down upon. Most Phlogius are so similar, take Stents and Rubiseta for example, that it took a lengthy amount of time before the 2 were even classified seperately as different species. This has resulted in the many different forms like "Phlogius sp. Black" and all the different forms of Crassipes. Occasionally like @Rhino1 stated, you even see Phlogius 1 X Phlogius 2 or Selenotypus 1 X Selenotypus 2 and so on for sale. I don't believe the crossbreeding issue is as prevalent in Selenotypus since the majority in collections are WC, but it can also be done

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Interesting. Also my tired brain at the time read that as inbreeding and not crossbreeding haha. Anyways, thanks for the info as always.