Phlogiellus sp. "palawan" = Phlogiellus johnreylazoi?

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kind of an obscure question, but does anyone out there know for sure if the spider often/previously sold as Phlogiellus sp. "palawan" (Palawan blue) is Phlogiellus johnreylazoi? Looks like P. johnreylazoi was just described in 2016 and the photos seem very similar, but just wanted to see if anyone can confirm.

@viper69 - looks like you posted the describing article when it was published... any ideas?

Thanks!

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Well, in the article it says that P. johnreylazoi is from Palawan Island, so I would hazard that they are one in the same.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, in the article it says that P. johnreylazoi is from Palawan Island, so I would hazard that they are one in the same.
Indeed. I'm certainly assuming they could be the same, just curious if anyone can confirm it before I change labels or anything like that. Kind of a long shot, but thanks to anyone looking/with more information.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Maybe get a molt and compare the features on it to the description in the article for a comparison.

I don't know if you have access to a dissecting microscope or not, but some of them can be purchased for less than $1,000.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe get a molt and compare the features on it to the description in the article for a comparison.

I don't know if you have access to a dissecting microscope or not, but some of them can be purchased for less than $1,000.
That's a good idea! I was hoping to take the easy route and have somebody just tell me, but doesn't seem like that's going to happen at this point.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Unless there are other Phogiellus sp. found there as well, its most likely the same species that was renamed after the locale.

Light08

Arachnopeon
The P. johnreylazoi is from Brooke's Point, Palawan. Which is from the southern part of palawan, and the palawan sp. blue is from the northern part of palawan if iam not.mistaken. iam a friend of johnrey,

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I received Phlogiellus Johnreylazoi Sling (Palawan Blue) along with Orphnaecus Philippinus Sling from Shane's Spiders a couple weeks ago.
My Father Served in the Philippines.
Maybe Shane could be of help with inquiries?

Last edited: