Philth's non-theraphosid mygalomorph and true spider photo thread.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks Martin, got a eggsac from this pair now ;)

Heteropoda sp. "burgundy" female

Heteropoda sp. "burgundy" male

Africactenus poecilus fresh molted female, about 6 inches. Big spider

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Heteropoda lunula juvie starting to show purple.

Heteropoda boiei penultimate male

Deinopis sp. Cameroon

Deinopis sp. Cameroon. I don't normally post cell phone pics, but it was all I hand handy and i liked it.

Later, Tom

IoUrylia

Arachnopeon
What's the care like on the Africactenus?

Also, I am so jealous of that Lunula. Here in the UK you'd find it easier to find diamonds, I swear.

Great post, and one I shall be following!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I really dig the looks of the lunula! Always have...should've snatched a couple over here when I had the chance a year ago! Oh well...they'll be available again.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How do you get your sparassids and ctenids to cooperate and stay on that piece of bark you use for photoshoots? I'd like to try to get some nice shots of mine, but I suspect they would go shooting off in all directions (especially my Gnathopalystes).

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
WOW, beautiful pics! That Heteropoda boiei is a very nice shade of green, love it! :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
How do you get your sparassids and ctenids to cooperate and stay on that piece of bark you use for photoshoots?
Its not always so easy. The piece of cork bark is placed in a large clear plastic tub. I keep the lid on as much as possible. I remove the spiders from their enclosure buy catching them in a clear 16oz cup then invert the cup over the piece of bark. Usually if you leave the spider in the cup on the wood for a few minutes, they will get comfortable and you can gently remove the cup. Obviously it doesn't always work and many spiders will take off as soon as you remove the cup. That's why it helps to have the cork bark in a larger container, so if the spider jumps off the wood they are still somewhat contained. I still have my share of fast spiders that zip right up and out of the top of the container though, so doing all of this in a room that is not cluttered with stuff helps if you need to chase after a spider on the loose ;) Here's my basic set up, with several catch cups in case one takes off.

Later, Tom

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing those photos Tom. Now I have a few more species on my "want" list.

David

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cool, Tom, thanks for the pic of the set up! I know what I'm going to be trying this weekend ;)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Latrodectus tredecimguttatus Israel local

Later, Tom

Are you sure that isn't an L. revivensis? L. tredecimguttatus usually has very prominent dorsal markings in bright red. This looks more like L. revivensis to me....

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Are you sure that isn't an L. revivensis? L. tredecimguttatus usually has very prominent dorsal markings in bright red. This looks more like L. revivensis to me....
I simply just label them the way they are sold to me, until a better fitting name comes along. You may very well be right as it does look like the google images of L. revivensis. Thanks for that. The all black ones were labeled Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (Israel) , and then the same dealer was calling these that I got Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (Croatia) which is probably labeled correctly then. Thanks!

Later, Tom

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I simply just label them the way they are sold to me, until a better fitting name comes along. You may very well be right as it does look like the google images of L. revivensis. Thanks for that. The all black ones were labeled Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (Israel) , and then the same dealer was calling these that I got Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (Croatia) which is probably labeled correctly then. Thanks!

Later, Tom
What if this isn't old good Latrodectus tredecimguttatus, four fatalities here due to their bite in the early '90. Not anymore spotted today in the five lands.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
What if this isn't old good Latrodectus tredecimguttatus, four fatalities here due to their bite in the early '90. Not anymore spotted today in the five lands.
Hi Chris, can you elaborate, I'm not sure if I understand what your saying.

Thanks, Tom

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hi Chris, can you elaborate, I'm not sure if I understand what your saying.

Thanks, Tom
Sorry Tom, my English is crap. The spider in the pic, is definitely imo Latrodectus tredecimguttatus, Theridiidae family, in sum the "Mediterranean Black Widow", or, as we call them using her common name, "Malmignatta" :)
This spider (however i've heard not anymore spotted today, here in the wild, from years) is, along with Loxosceles rufescens, two of Italy's (they are native of other Mediterranean nations as well, of course) "hot" spiders.
In the time period between late '80 to early '90, four fatalities happened in Italy due to their bite (Latrodectus, i mean) near the "Cinque Terre" (Five Lands) in Liguria region, Italy.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Sorry Tom, my English is crap. The spider in the pic, is definitely imo Latrodectus tredecimguttatus, Theridiidae family, in sum the "Mediterranean Black Widow", or, as we call them using her common name, "Malmignatta" :)
This spider (however i've heard not anymore spotted today, here in the wild, from years) is, along with Loxosceles rufescens, two of Italy's (they are native of other Mediterranean nations as well, of course) "hot" spiders.
In the time period between late '80 to early '90, four fatalities happened in Italy due to their bite (Latrodectus, i mean) near the "Cinque Terre" (Five Lands) in Liguria region, Italy.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to keep my finger out of their cages ;) So L. tredecimguttatus can come spotless too? Interesting, thanks again!

Later, Tom

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to keep my finger out of their cages ;) So L. tredecimguttatus can come spotless too? Interesting, thanks again!

Later, Tom
Absolutely. You know better than me now this, deal with them as you would do with a USA Black Widow and everything will be fine. No enthusiasts have spotted them anymore in the wild in Liguria region, but i don't know for center Italy, like in Lazio region (where the local people call the spider "button spider").

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Artema sp. Israel

Deinopis sp. Cameroon

Heteropoda tetrica mating

Dolomedes tenebrosus, Long Island native. Probably the largest spider we have in NY. Nice to see this one, only the second time I've ever seen them.

Africactenus poecilus mature male

Africactenus poecilus mature male, these males are huge. This is a 6 inch cup and the legs touch both ends.

Later, Tom