Philoscia muscorum?

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Anyone have success breeding these isopods? I managed to get one female to reproduce about a year ago, but have since had no such luck. For those wondering how I kept them, I used a substrate mix of about 80% Eco Earth and 20% soil from where I found them (my yard). Low ventilation, high humidity, low ventilation, leaf litter and sphagnum moss scattered about. I also used cricket quencher (the little jelly crystals), I don’t know if that played into the one successful breeding tho. Now that I’m more acquainted with isopod care, I think I have a better shot this spring. Has anyone gotten these guys going, and if so, did you also experience adults dying off soon after they reproduced?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't have experience with this species, but hopefully someone who does will chime in. I'd make sure there's lots of rotting wood and leaf litter. Any pesticide use in your yard or by your neighbors?

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Nope, no pesticides. My other two species (Porcellio scaber & Porcellio ornatus) are doing great on the same leaves & wood I used for the muscorum. My scaber colony will have been going for a year now in a month or so. Muscorum are such neat little isopods with a really nice variety of natural morphs that could be expanded upon in some neat ways, it’s a shame they’re so overlooked in the US hobby, at least in my experience.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
My yard had a thaw just last week and I collected a small starter group of Philoscia muscorum found in the leaf litter inside my home's window wells. We're due for another thaw this week and I plan to collect more. They were found mixed up and living alongside P. scaber, so for now my enclosure is set up according to P. scaber specs. Hopefully this thread will develop with good advice and sharing of experiences. I also think these isopods are attractive and fun and would love to have some success with them!

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
This week’s supposed to be pretty warm for me as well, I may have a look for some if I decide to collect leaf litter today!

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
I had success though I don't keep them anymore. Had them in earth from the woods, added moss and rotting wood for them to munch on, leaf litter as well. I generally don't bake/otherwise sterilise their food. Sometimes they got fish flakes like my other pods. A calcium source is also pretty important for keeping isopods in general. My box was kept moist but had high ventilation.

I also heard a lot of US keepers struggle more with this species than European keepers, which leads me to believe that they may not appreciate the higher temperatures in some parts of the US.