1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phiddipus audax cohabitation

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by nageuse, Jan 10, 2018.

1. nageuse

nageuse Arachnopeon

Detroit
    Advertisement
    Hello,
    I once kept a Phiddipus audax and it was such an enjoyable pet. I'd like to start collecting them again, and hopefully trying to mate them, but I haven't been able to find any, so I'm planning to buy a couple on-line. My question is, can I keep more than one together, or will they just gobble each other up? The sellers do not guarantee the gender, so I'm eventually going to have to try introducing them to each other. I just don't feel comfortable about that...
    Thanks!

2. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    Tried this with my female and she was eaten by the male. Keep them separated.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Welcome to AB!

Keeping them together doesn't work. You'll eventually end up with one. If you want to breed them make sure both are well fed before introducing them, and keep an eye on them during the process because there's still a halfway decent chance one will try to eat the other.

If it's successful, expect a good number of slings that you'll probably want to leave together to cannibalize and decrease the total numbers.

4. nageuse

nageuse Arachnopeon

Detroit
    Thanks so much for your replies! As I suspected, it won't be easy to mate them, but I'll give it a go. I let my first pet audax go in late summer because I figured she'd want to mate...
    Now I'm wondering how I'll separate them after they mate! :cool:

5. Vinny2915

Vinny2915 Arachnopeon Active Member

Breeding these is relatively easy. I noticed if both are sexually mature there is near 0% chance of cannibalization. When I was younger I used to collect these and once noticed I caught a male and a female that were both mature. I put them together and almost immediately the male started to "dance". They ended up living together in the same structure until the female laid the egg hammock (I'd like to call it that because it is on the wall of the tube she created). After eggs were laid the male left and lived on his own until he died. Though, when keeping immature specimens together it always ended in death, always, no matter how much they were fed or if they were equal size. So if you are looking to breed for the most part they are like poecilotheria in the sense that they can cohabitate with very low risk of cannibalism so long a they are both sexually mature. I have noticed this with a few other species of true spiders as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. nageuse

nageuse Arachnopeon

Detroit
    That's a romantic story :)
    Maybe it was love at first sight. Hopefully it works every time. Hope so. I would love to see the male dance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. arachnoherp

arachnoherp Arachnosquire Active Member

The hardest part for me is making sure both are mature, i currently have one i suspect to be male but im not sure.