Petstores GBB

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Today I bought a pet store GBB, I understand that this special is terrestrial that loves to web a lot. Currently keeping in the enclosure that it came in.

If I could get feed back on other people's setup for this species would be great, I'm thinking of rehousing it to more of a typical terrestrial style with anchor points.
Possibly give it an option to hide.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Not bad really, but I personally prefer terrestrial set ups with less substrate so there is more vertical space. People have done more arboreal-type enclosures but I like to give them more horizontal space to roam and web. A hide would be a good idea. I made my own hide for my GBB and hot glued fake flowers to it to give them even more material to web onto.

This is her sitting -right- outside the homemade den. You can tell she definitely webbed it up quite a bit.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
That enclosure is set up in more of an arboreal design, but GBBs are a somewhere in between, part terrestrial and part arboreal. They will always appreciate more webbing points. Using the search function you’ll be able to see a ton of good GBB enclosures. In the meantime what you have is fine but not rhe best.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Not bad really, but I personally prefer terrestrial set ups with less substrate so there is more vertical space. People have done more arboreal-type enclosures but I like to give them more horizontal space to roam and web. A hide would be a good idea. I made my own hide for my GBB and hot glued fake flowers to it to give them even more material to web onto.

This is her sitting -right- outside the homemade den. You can tell she definitely webbed it up quite a bit.
This is what I would prefer, mine isn't big a juv 4-5cm. Might rehouse tonight,
In a bigger tub so he can web everywhere.
As I've said this is not my setup but the pet stores set up. May I have a full view of your enclosure?

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I agree with @miss moxie regarding more horizontal roaming space, otherwise as far as sub and anchor points it looks pretty good! My GBB decided it prefers lower networks of web tunnels under the anchor points.

One thing is certain, this has to be one of the most adaptable species. It will create a home with whatever you give it! Just keep it dry and with a full water dish. ;)

20170918_110518.jpg
(Its more webbed up now, but you get the idea)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This is what I would prefer, mine isn't big a juv 4-5cm. Might rehouse tonight,
In a bigger tub so he can web everywhere.
As I've said this is not my setup but the pet stores set up. May I have a full view of your enclosure?
That was an old tarantula that I don't have anymore, and I don't have a full picture of the enclosure unfortunately. I can show you these pictures of my M. balfouri's enclosure. I give them more substrate to burrow, but they're heavy webbers so having lots of webbing points like for GBB is important:

And this is the hide I made for the GBB, recycled in my G. pulchra's home.

It was a 16 oz. deli container that I burned in half with a soldering iron so the edges were rounded and not sharp. But you could use a half of a wood log like they sell for reptiles, or some cork bark and hot glue some leaves/flowers/whatever onto it.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
That was an old tarantula that I don't have anymore, and I don't have a full picture of the enclosure unfortunately. I can show you these pictures of my M. balfouri's enclosure. I give them more substrate to burrow, but they're heavy webbers so having lots of webbing points like for GBB is important:

And this is the hide I made for the GBB, recycled in my G. pulchra's home.

It was a 16 oz. deli container that I burned in half with a soldering iron so the edges were rounded and not sharp. But you could use a half of a wood log like they sell for reptiles, or some cork bark and hot glue some leaves/flowers/whatever onto it.
Thank you, the only box I have is a storage tub I don't think the height is good enough for this T, it is 12.5cm height..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thank you, the only box I have is a storage tub I don't think the height is good enough for this T, it is 12.5cm height..
Mmm, no that's too short for a semi-arboreal like GBB. After you put in 2.5cm of substrate or a little more then you don't have much to work with. It'd be okay for short term but if I were you I'd try to find something a bit taller. The enclosure they're in now won't hurt them, so don't feel like you HAVE to rehouse them now or they'll die. So find something you really like and feel free to take your time.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Mmm, no that's too short for a semi-arboreal like GBB. After you put in 2.5cm of substrate or a little more then you don't have much to work with. It'd be okay for short term but if I were you I'd try to find something a bit taller. The enclosure they're in now won't hurt them, so don't feel like you HAVE to rehouse them now or they'll die. So find something you really like and feel free to take your time.
I will keep him where he is for now unless I can find a suitable enclosure tonight.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I don't believe it but I've spilt water all over his enclosure and I mean EVERYWHERE with no suitable enclosure to rehouse him in

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I don't believe it but I've spilt water all over his enclosure and I mean EVERYWHERE with no suitable enclosure to rehouse him in
Come on Paul. You didn't just let the tarantula down, you let yourself down.

Water won't kill it, it just isn't going to want to touch the substrate for a while.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Come on Paul. You didn't just let the tarantula down, you let yourself down.

Water won't kill it, it just isn't going to want to touch the substrate for a while.
No he darted off straight up his web hammock I'm such a clumsy idiot! It wasn't just a little water it was the whole bowl full! It's soaked right into the bottom of the substrate on every little bit of substrate

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
No he darted off straight up his web hammock I'm such a clumsy idiot! It wasn't just a little water it was the whole bowl full! It's soaked right into the bottom of the substrate on every little bit of substrate
You're not an idiot. An idiot would dump the water on purpose. You made a mistake, relax. Dumping water into your substrate is one of the more mild mistakes a hobbyist can make.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You're not an idiot. An idiot would dump the water on purpose. You made a mistake, relax. Dumping water into your substrate is one of the more mild mistakes a hobbyist can make.
I was trying to make sure my neighbours didn't see what I had lol. Anyway I can get an enclosure tomorrow.
Is there anything you would recommend?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I was trying to make sure my neighbours didn't see what I had lol. Anyway I can get an enclosure tomorrow.
Is there anything you would recommend?
I'm not sure where "the north east" is. Is that America, or another country? Because Europeans have better enclosure choices than we do over here in the US. You used CM before so I'm thinking you're not American because we're like one of the only countries who use inches for whatever reason. Because we can I guess.

If you're American then Kritter Keepers aren't bad. You can't really see top down but you can see in from the sides well and they're readily available and cheap. An acrylic enclosure might work out well for a GBB considering they're arid and don't need much substrate. I've heard humidity and weight can bow the plastic quickly. A front open exo-terra could work since they don't need much substrate, those can be found internationally. A glass tank with an acrylic lid w/ ventilation holes in it could work too.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I'm not sure where "the north east" is. Is that America, or another country? Because Europeans have better enclosure choices than we do over here in the US. You used CM before so I'm thinking you're not American because we're like one of the only countries who use inches for whatever reason. Because we can I guess.

If you're American then Kritter Keepers aren't bad. You can't really see top down but you can see in from the sides well and they're readily available and cheap. An acrylic enclosure might work out well for a GBB considering they're arid and don't need much substrate. I've heard humidity and weight can bow the plastic quickly. A front open exo-terra could work since they don't need much substrate, those can be found internationally. A glass tank with an acrylic lid w/ ventilation holes in it could work too.
North-East in England I should probably just change it to Newcastle, we can get Kritter Keepers here, 30Lx19Wx21H maybe something a little smaller.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
North-East in England I should probably just change it to Newcastle, we can get Kritter Keepers here, 30Lx19Wx21H maybe something a little smaller.
I'll tag in @KezyGLA & @basin79 as they are the first european keepers that come to mind. Oh and @boina as well. They'll likely have some good advice on enclosures.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I did this for my Chilobrachys fimbriatus. Obviously not the same T but they're both heavy webbers.

Planted a fake fern under the sub and had it coming up at various points. Didn't take her long to do her thing.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I did this for my Chilobrachys fimbriatus. Obviously not the same T but they're both heavy webbers.

Planted a fake fern under the sub and had it coming up at various points. Didn't take her long to do her thing.

Seems simple enough, DIY enclosure using a storage box? That is a lot of webbing.