pet store pissed me off now i have a pede

meier link

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i walked into nj pets today , with intentions of looking,but i wound up buying a viet nam giant Cpede.now im a tarantula guy myself, but the way they were keeping this thing was atrocious!!!!! first of all they were feeding it lettuce....lettuce!!!!! secondly, the kid that was in the exotics dept was trying to handle the thing. 3rd nobody even knew anything about it, they thought it was just a "red millepede" ughh anyway so i bought a veit nam giant pede for $20 will get pics up soon... and as i said b4 im a spider guy, so any and all pede advice is welcomed :wall:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
meier link said:
i walked into nj pets today , with intentions of looking,but i wound up buying a viet nam giant Cpede.now im a tarantula guy myself, but the way they were keeping this thing was atrocious!!!!! first of all they were feeding it lettuce....lettuce!!!!! secondly, the kid that was in the exotics dept was trying to handle the thing. 3rd nobody even knew anything about it, they thought it was just a "red millepede" ughh anyway so i bought a veit nam giant pede for $20 will get pics up soon... and as i said b4 im a spider guy, so any and all pede advice is welcomed :wall:
actually there is decent evidence some centi's eat vegetative matter in wild and captivity. i, myself, have seen captive S. polymorpha eat apple :)

i'm not saying that is the ONLY thing they eat... the studies i was reading about indicated it wasn't their mainstay by anystretch, nor did any of my pedes (with one possible exception) continue to eat the apple after i introduced live animal prey

but it doesn't sound like they got milli and centi mixed up

i suspect if you hand't bought the pede nature would have corrected that misapprehension right quickly.

i'm not saying you can't handle centis... but i *am* saying you can't handle them like millis hehehehe

EDIT:

argh! my fingers won't obey me today

i should have said it DOES sound like they got mixed up

Last edited:

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to work at a pet store and I ordered two centipedes and they sent me two millipedes. so it was probably just a mix up from the distibuter. and the store just did what they thought was the proper care for what they ordered?

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah, petstores don't know what they're doing. you should have had the guy hold it for a while for u, it'd be good for a few laughs. course that's kinda messed up since viet cents have some really powerful venom..... :D