Pet hole gracing us with her presence

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
We 'rescued' a Cyriopagopus lividus, the previous owner was new to the hobby, he liked her coloring, but didn't know he would never see her. They gave her to the animal shelter who kept her in less than an inch of substrate. They called me and asked if I would take her since she looked stressed. She sort of was just sitting in a ball in a small web. We got her a nice deep sterlite container, we planted it with some small leftover plants on the surface.

She took to a nice deep burrow on the side of the container. But we rarely saw her. Recently, as evening falls she climbs up to the top of her burrow sneaks from plant to plant and waits in between two planted closely together to hunt. It has been such a treat. She wandered around for at least two hours the other night, but I wimped out and went to bed, no idea how long she was out.

This was the first time I considered planting in an obligate burrower's enclosure. Anyone else try this? (I got the idea from Mike's care sheets) Anyone else who did try this experience more movement from deep burrowers?

basin79

ArachnoGod
We 'rescued' a Cyriopagopus lividus, the previous owner was new to the hobby, he liked her coloring, but didn't know he would never see her. They gave her to the animal shelter who kept her in less than an inch of substrate. They called me and asked if I would take her since she looked stressed. She sort of was just sitting in a ball in a small web. We got her a nice deep sterlite container, we planted it with some small leftover plants on the surface.

She took to a nice deep burrow on the side of the container. But we rarely saw her. Recently, as evening falls she climbs up to the top of her burrow sneaks from plant to plant and waits in between two planted closely together to hunt. It has been such a treat. She wandered around for at least two hours the other night, but I wimped out and went to bed, no idea how long she was out.

This was the first time I considered planting in an obligate burrower's enclosure. Anyone else try this? (I got the idea from Mike's care sheets) Anyone else who did try this experience more movement from deep burrowers?
My recently acquired Cyriopagopus doriae hung out under her live plant. Just last night/this morning she's decided to dig a burrow so I shall be interested if she hangs out under them as much now.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
My Aphonopelma seemanni is like a little bulldozer. He always redecorating his burrow. Brings out mouthfuls of substrate all the time.

cold blood

Staff member
This was the first time I considered planting in an obligate burrower's enclosure
Not the one to plant IMO...I wouldn't want to have to care for a plant around this species....lol....plus chances would be it would just be webbed up anyway....lol.

Its a nice treat, I have two, my two most reclusive actually, have both been showing themselves. The P. irminia adult recently molted, so its hunting time all the time for now. The schioetdtei on the other hand, was out this morning for the first time in so long I can't recall.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The live plants will eventually get buried and incorporated into the sub, they're odds of survival long term are slim to none with most fossorials...unless you place them somewhere very strategically in the enclosure.
Not the one to plant IMO...I wouldn't want to have top care for a plant around this species....lol....plus chances would be it would just be webbed up anyway....lol.

Its a nice treat, I have two, my two most reclusive actually, have both been showing themselves. The P. irminia adult recently molted, so its hunting time all the time for now. The schioetdtei on the other hand, was out this morning for the first time in so long I can't recall.
Looking good man, my female has been hanging out a lot lately too...enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I view my - hungry like 'Slimer' - sweety quite often, always a joy :angelic:

C.lividus 1.jpg

No live plants, however.

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
They were extras from my chameleon's enclosure. I am a whiz at killing house plants, and figured I would just put them in there and see what happens, what's the worst thing, they die. I was going to kill them anyhow. I thought it would be fun to try. So far, so good. Golden pothos can take a serious beating and live. And until the plants die I am genuinely appreciating seeing her.

My H. minax, no, no, no, no. He likes dark, he wants to be left alone he does suck fake plants into his webs and then down his tunnels. I have actually considered giving him a Lego minifigure put a night vision motion camera in there and become a YouTube sensation. H. Minax rarely comes out even at feeding time, he waits for me to go away.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The live plants will eventually get buried and incorporated into the sub, they're odds of survival long term are slim to none with most fossorials...unless you place them somewhere very strategically in the enclosure.

Looking good man, my female has been hanging out a lot lately too...enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

I use Devil's ivy in a lot of my enclosures. It's as tough as old boots. Thriving in my Tokay gecko's enclosure, in my Tiger salamander's enclosure, my pokies, C. Hati Haiti, T.blondi and up to press my C. doriae.

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
The lollipop rating threw me. Dum dum? Sweet? Everything is better on a stick? Sticky topic? In the middle of this post there is a tootsie roll?

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I use Devil's ivy in a lot of my enclosures. It's as tough as old boots. Thriving in my Tokay gecko's enclosure, in my Tiger salamander's enclosure, my pokies, C. Hati Haiti, T.blondi and up to press my C. doriae.
I have Devil’s ivy aka Pothos plants in my Avic and A seemanni enclosures. Once it rooted even my little bulldozer of an A seemanni can’t uproot it. And it’s so tough my Avic uses the leaves to make his tube web; yet the plant keeps on growing those leaves even all neatly bundled together. And they require very little water. So no worries about too much humidity in the Avic enclosure. Pothos plants are very hardy and resistant. They are invasive in Hawaii and South America. So bad some places have no undergrowth. It’s just trees and Pothos vines from the ground to the tree canopy.

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
[QUOTE="MikeofBorg, post: 2808602, member: 125787"They are invasive in Hawaii and South America. So bad some places have no undergrowth. It’s just trees and Pothos vines from the ground to the tree canopy.[/QUOTE]

I did not know it had become an invasive, but that makes sense, it is hardy and reroots easily. That really stinks, invasives are an enormous problem everywhere. We just didn't know or didn't think what would happen if we released plants and animals where they did not originate. I spent a summer working on aquatic invasives. And you have some people who realize how serious it is to accidentally transport invasives and others who assume it is someone else's problem.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The lollipop rating threw me. Dum dum? Sweet? Everything is better on a stick? Sticky topic? In the middle of this post there is a tootsie roll?
Muahahahah, this is nothing. You should had seen a good two years ago with a lovely 'Lollipop' battle. Now it's a 'truce', apparently :angelic: