Pet Hole Advice Needed

KooBea

Arachnopeon
I haven't seen my 1/4 inch Ami sp. Columbia sling for about 6 weeks and haven't seen any signs of life from the enclosure for about a month. After reading about pet holes not being seen for long periods of time I wasn't alarmed at first. But all the offered food is still in the same position when I check on it the next day (I even bought different feeders in case its just a picky eater) and there is no sign of redecoration which was common with this T. I'm not concerned that it escaped so my question is at what point do I rummage around the enclosure to find it?

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
Just went through a similar experience with my N. Chromatus sling! I bought the little sling and soon after that it buried itself with no entrance to the surface! It stayed this way for around a month until one night I looked and suddenly my N. Chromatus reappeared! I would always smell my enclosure and it never smelled like anything was dead so that's generally a good rule to go by. I would wait at least 3 months with no sightings before I'd be concerned.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
I haven't seen my 1/4 inch Ami sp. Columbia sling for about 6 weeks and haven't seen any signs of life from the enclosure for about a month. After reading about pet holes not being seen for long periods of time I wasn't alarmed at first. But all the offered food is still in the same position when I check on it the next day (I even bought different feeders in case its just a picky eater) and there is no sign of redecoration which was common with this T. I'm not concerned that it escaped so my question is at what point do I rummage around the enclosure to find it?
Quarter inch?

Go for it before it rots away and then you'll be posting asking if it escaped.

Slings suck because they die at a high rate. My advice is to never purchase a sling smaller than one inch.

KooBea

Arachnopeon
Quarter inch?

Go for it before it rots away and then you'll be posting asking if it escaped.

Slings suck because they die at a high rate. My advice is to never purchase a sling smaller than one inch.
It came as a freebie with some C. versicolors. Never would have bought it but glad I got it.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Can't comment on if you need to dig out your T.But slings definitely do not suck!
They require more time and care than juvies and adults.And the number of keepers who raise slings to adult are everywhere and numerous.

KooBea

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help. I rummaged around the substrate to no avail but noticed a little hole in the cork bark that could be a cozy spot. Going to watch the cork bark closely before poking around and possibly interrupting a molt or injuring the poor little thing.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
It came as a freebie with some C. versicolors. Never would have bought it but glad I got it.
The last two freebie slings I received - one a "3/4"" irminia and a " 1 1/2"" regalis both died. The irminia was dead in less than 36 hours though it seemed very healthy when I unpacked it.

You know what sucks about slings the most though? It's not that they die so often, it's the people who will tell you that it's your fault the sling died. Those people really, really suck because they're 100% wrong. It's like telling someone it's their fault they got brain cancer.

I should also clarify what I wrote too. Most tarantula dealers in the USA are so money hungry they estimate how big a sling is if you stretched the slings legs diagonally. Seriously. So I should have wrote: If you're in the USA I recommend you never order a sling that is smaller than one and one half inches.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The last two freebie slings I received - one a "3/4"" irminia and a " 1 1/2"" regalis both died. The irminia was dead in less than 36 hours though it seemed very healthy when I unpacked it.

You know what sucks about slings the most though? It's not that they die so often, it's the people who will tell you that it's your fault the sling died. Those people really, really suck because they're 100% wrong. It's like telling someone it's their fault they got brain cancer.

I should also clarify what I wrote too. Most tarantula dealers in the USA are so money hungry they estimate how big a sling is if you stretched the slings legs diagonally. Seriously. So I should have wrote: If you're in the USA I recommend you never order a sling that is smaller than one and one half inches.
Typically slings over 3/4" are reasonably hardy. For both of your specimens to have perished at the sizes mentioned is an immediate red flag, especially considering the species.

I suspect your husbandry may have been off somewhere. I raised three P.irminia from 1/2" to roughly 3" with no issues whatsoever. All three are still thriving. Same goes for P.regalis, although my specimens were slightly larger upon purchase.

In fact 90% of my spiders were raised from slings, and my losses were few and far between. Slings aren't so bad man... they do require more attention though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

I've raised very nearly my entire collection from slings. Including many 1/4" and even smaller. I've had 1 random death I could blame on genetics.

Slings are cheap and can be fun to raise.

Interesting, neither of my two Ami sp Columbia ever burrowed. Had them from 1/6".

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Typically slings over 3/4" are reasonably hardy. For both of your specimens to have perished at the sizes mentioned is an immediate red flag, especially considering the species.

I suspect your husbandry may have been off somewhere. .
So you seem to have read my post. You read the part where I noted that the irminia kicked off in less than 36 hours? You're telling me that's my fault?

Did you read the part about how I compared people like you to someone who tells a person just diagnosed with brain cancer that it's their fault?

Some people in this world really, really suck. It pains me that they can hide behind their keyboard from me. They know what they've got coming and they never say these things in person because that's what they are.

Slings suck because they die.

Let's do some math and see if we can figure out why there would be people in forums perpetuating this big lie about how slings are easy to raise.

Lasiodora parahybana sack can have as many as one thousand slings hatch.

Hmmmmmmmm........

$10-
x 1,000
---------

10,000-

Ten thousand bucks.

Crack dealers would raise their eyebrows at that kind of return. Survival rate? Maybe five percent.

What can you sell where 95% of the product fails and not get sued or jailed for consumer fraud?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
So you seem to have read my post. You read the part where I noted that the irminia kicked off in less than 36 hours? You're telling me that's my fault?

Did you read the part about how I compared people like you to someone who tells a person just diagnosed with brain cancer that it's their fault?

Some people in this world really, really suck. It pains me that they can hide behind their keyboard from me. They know what they've got coming and they never say these things in person because that's what they are.

Let's do some math and see if we can figure out why there would be people in forums perpetuating this big lie about how slings are easy to raise.

Hmmmmmmmm........

$10-
x 1,000
---------

10,000-

Ten thousand bucks.

Crack dealers would raise their eyebrows at that kind of return. Survival rate? Maybe five percent.

What can you sell where 95% of the product fails and not get sued or jailed for consumer fraud?
I've now started seeing you for what you really are, a ignorant and frankly embarrassed keeper who can't stand learning that they are wrong.

Shame, I had much more respect for you before.

From how strongly you reacted on learning you may be at fault, I'd say that it being your fault is a good guess.

We're not all breeders either. Only a few of us really.

This is captivity. Not the wild. Where your figures may be more accurate.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak

Hmmmmmmmm........

$10-
x 1,000
---------

10,000-

Ten thousand bucks.

:troll::troll::troll:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Hmmmmmmmm........

$10-
x 1,000
---------

10,000-

Ten thousand bucks.

Where do you pull out these statistics? Clearly your the type who blames the game rather then the player. You probably won't understand that analogy either. Judging by your lack of reason. Believe me I wouldn't shy away from you in person.

Slings are easy to raise, especially once they surpass 3/4". It's true, sometimes casualties happen, but it is not the norm. Especially if you have your husbandry on point.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that over 95% of my slings survive. I can't speak for the slings of other vendors. But your clearly overexagerating here, maybe look back at how you kept them rather then just saying "slings suck and slings just die" you come across as very ignorant.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Back to the OP’s question: I would wait it out a bit longer. Spiders will test your patience sometimes. Honestly though, I’ve carefully dug around to find a spider before. You always run that risk of disturbing a molt, but that’s really up to you. I can tell you that once I found my slings alive and well (and not molting), I haven’t seen any negative effects from the disturbance.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love how SingaporeB argue with anyone about everything, from Shampain88 'OBT Bite' to 'T's venom and Dogs' to whatever, ah ah, he's funny :)

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
I've now started seeing you for what you really are, a ignorant and frankly embarrassed keeper who can't stand learning that they are wrong.

Shame, I had much more respect for you before.

From how strongly you reacted on learning you may be at fault, I'd say that it being your fault is a good guess.

We're not all breeders either. Only a few of us really.

This is captivity. Not the wild. Where your figures may be more accurate.

You've inspired me to create a signature.
-

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You've inspired me to create a signature.
-
Always happy to be an inspiration..

You've obviously never bred Lasiodora. Those slings don't sell to anyone but the inexperienced who think they get 12". They're fairly boring looking compared to other tropical terrestrials as well.

Breeders always have them in stock. They don't make 10k a sac lol. That's why they're always freebies.

I really thought you were a very experienced old school keeper. That's my let down for the day.

KooBea

Arachnopeon
Back to the OP’s question: I would wait it out a bit longer. Spiders will test your patience sometimes. Honestly though, I’ve carefully dug around to find a spider before. You always run that risk of disturbing a molt, but that’s really up to you. I can tell you that once I found my slings alive and well (and not molting), I haven’t seen any negative effects from the disturbance.
I think its in the cork bark, I'm going to try to lure it out with a cricket drumstick when I feed the rest of the "kids".