Pet grade peat moss?

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, I've been reading through some of the threads on peat moss and came up with a question for you guys. Is there a pet grade peat moss, or are people just buying from the local hardware or landscape shops? I haven't had to peat moss shop yet, so I'm curious if some brands should be avoided (chemicals, fertilizer, etc..in them), or not? Thanks in advance for any and all moss type comments. ;)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
When I do buy peat I buy it from my local garden centre. You can buy it in big bales which is a heckuva lot cheaper than buying it in a pet shop. I saw peat in a pet shop and they were asking a ridiculous price for it. As long as it is pure peat moss, it should not have anything else in it.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get mine from a local farm supply store. It comes in a 50 lb bag, but it has twigs in the mix. What I do is rub the stuff through a screen mesh, to filter out the sticks and larger junk, and get pure peatmoss. This gets the pokey things out that could hurt a falling T, and also makes the substrate more mold-resistant. The brand name I get is called "Bacto." Hope that helps. :)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as it says "Organic'...you're cool. Garden centers are waaaaaay cheaper than pet stores. Every time.;)

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As long as it says "Organic'...you're cool. Garden centers are waaaaaay cheaper than pet stores. Every time.;)

I know I can remember 'Organic', it's close to sounding like 'Orgasmic'. I'll just wander in the local garden center and ask for some Orgasmic peat moss and see what they say. {D But seriously, thanks for the advice....

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm on the right track now: O.R.G.A.N.I.C Got it! :clap:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, in this context, "Organic" doesn't mean much. Some of the most powerful insecticides can be labeled "organic" and "all natural".

Avoid anything with pesticides (obviously) but I don't worry much about the rest. I use peat that has fertilizer in it all the time, and have done so for many years now.

Eric

Aunt Ant

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You may notice that the pet store has a peat moss/ douglas fir bark mix by Zilla meant for reptiles. Don't get it, the fir bark chips are supposedly not good for inverts.
It was annoying having to change the substrates when I found that out :wall:
All my little buddies are fine though

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I get those coco bricks from pet shops. But I only keep aboreals so pretty much any substrate will do. If you keep terrestrials you might want to mix peat with soil to get a heavier substrate for them to dig in.