Pesticide question

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
The pest control guy comes once a month and sprays liquid pesticide all around the eves and windows. Should I ask him to avoid the windows on the room where my T is kept? The windows are never open, but I'm worried it could affect my baby T. Also, he wants to come in and spray for inside pests like spiders:( and such. How can I protect my sling? Any suggestions?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
The pest control guy comes once a month and sprays liquid pesticide all around the eves and windows. Should I ask him to avoid the windows on the room where my T is kept? The windows are never open, but I'm worried it could affect my baby T. Also, he wants to come in and spray for inside pests like spiders:( and such. How can I protect my sling? Any suggestions?
You should definitely not let him in order to spray pesticides inside of your apartment! If he refuses not to spray outside of your window, you might move the T to another room for a period? Anyways, why does the pest control come once a month?

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I take it you have no control over this pest control person? I.e. you didn't hire him?

I'm having trouble understanding how this person got to the point of wanting to spray indoors in the first place? Is it a communal building / appartment? Is there an infestation of sorts in your building?

Thanks for any extra details you can privide, may help in getting more precise and detailed recommendations from the knowledgeable folk here.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Tough one.

I would think the outside spraying is probably not an issue. Better safe than sorry, but a house should be well-built enough not to allow outside environments inside. There always exists the possibility of bringing the pesticide into the house with you - on your hands, your shoes, whatever.

Inside is a different matter. Now the pesticide is placed in the home and it isn't necessary for you to have to track it in. I'd be especially cautious of this.

All is not lost. Just treat your T room like a clean environment - remove your shoes, wear disposable gloves, and don't go in if you're wearing clothing you think may have pesticide on it.

I don't think there's any perfect answer, but I just try to hedge my bets and take precautions when I can. Sometimes bad things happen and that sucks, but hopefully it isn't for lack of trying.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input, guys! I live in a rented house, so I'm guessing my landlord has them come out once a month. I've made excuses for him not to come in this far, but I'm afraid they will mention it to my 'LL. He knows about my pets, so that's not an issue. I always wash my hands before feeding and caring for my little one anyways.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the input, guys! I live in a rented house, so I'm guessing my landlord has them come out once a month. I've made excuses for him not to come in this far, but I'm afraid they will mention it to my 'LL. He knows about my pets, so that's not an issue. I always wash my hands before feeding and caring for my little one anyways.
If your landlord seems like an OK guy, you might want to talk to him about it. As long as there´s no major roach infestation etc. in the house he might understand your concerns?

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
I'll try to talk to him, but I'm not very good at talking to people in person, I get flustered easily. It suuucks. Even on the phone I usually sound like an idiot. Lol.

cold blood

Staff member
but I'm afraid they will mention it to my 'LL. He knows about my pets, so that's not an issue.
If the LL already knows about the pets, who cares if they mention it to your landlord,...the fact that the LL knows about your pets would be a perfect reason to expect cooperation regarding pesticides NOT being sprayed....I don't want that crap around my dog any more than my spiders.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Pesticides are not good for your Spider, your Bird, any of your other Pets, and also not good for Yourself. Unless there is some kind of insane Alien infestation of Radioactive Roaches in your Domicile I would kindly ask that the Pesticide Applicant not apply the said Chemicals inside of your place of Residence.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll try to talk to him, but I'm not very good at talking to people in person, I get flustered easily. It suuucks. Even on the phone I usually sound like an idiot. Lol.

Generally speaking if you tell your landlord, you will be told to get rid of your pets, or worse try and evict you. BEFORE you speak, read your lease agreement. DO NOT count on the good graces of people when it comes to exotics. You will regret it 99% of the time.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
Every time I see these threads, I can't help but be completely baffled at the idiocy of it. No wonder the frigging bees are dying out.

Christopher Wilson

Arachnopeon
As you are not allowing the pest controller to spray in the windows, there can be chances that mosquitos can be hidden there and can bite you and spread disease later on. You can do one thing, you can move your little T in some another room for the time pest control team is spraying in that particular room. Some pest control company like Exterminator New Haven County CT, Exterminator Newtown CT, Exterminator Redding CT, Exterminator Ridgefield CT use eco-friendly chemical solutions that do not harm other things that are around. You can ask that team which chemical solutions they are using.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Don't even mention your pets. Just tell your landlord you don't want chemicals in the house with you. If you don't have any complaints about pests, he should be glad to be saved the expense.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I am currently keeping 3 T's (tiny B. albo sling, GBB juvie and an AF P. regalis) in the office and we have an exterminator that comes and regularly sprays for pests with no adverse effects for over a year. Contact pesticides will be fine, which is what is usually sprayed on the floors/corners and around window sills (as long as the T's aren't directly sprayed).

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Every time I see these threads, I can't help but be completely baffled at the idiocy of it. No wonder the frigging bees are dying out.
I concur. I stopped using pesticides in the house years ago and haven’t seen a single roach in years. Occasionally I see a jumping spider and there are tons of wolf spiders outside all doing their job to keep the pests away naturally.

All the time I get pest companies knocking on the door offering a discount on the first year of treatment plus they’ll knock down spiderwebs and kill all the spiders for me. I just tell them no the spiders ARE my pest control!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ours is a chemical spray loving society in the US. We always learn 25 years later that the sprays that were researched to be completely safe then come back later as "ooops, sorry about the birth defects and endangered species...."
Re-read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.
Sad.

Natural is best. One reason so many ABers let those corner spiders stay and toss 'em a small pinhead here and there.

I understand more if someone has a serious roach infestation in their home -- allergies, kids getting bit. But even then -- specific targeting insides walls or something -- not just 'an extra spray here there and everywhere for good measure'.