Peruvian Amazon -- arachnids

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In January, I went to the Peruvian Amazon with Margarita Tours. The purpose of this trip was primarily to photograph reptiles. The tour leaders, however, were all too happy to assist those of us who wanted to look at other animals as well. I spent a great deal of time birding, photographing butterflies and searching for other exciting invertebrates.

Here is a link to the website of Margarita Tours:

http://www.amazon-ecotours.com/

Our tour visited two of the research stations affiliated with Margarita Tours. The first stop was Madre Selva which was located about 12 hours down river from Iquitos. Here are a few pics of the journey to Madre Selva.

A new boat, the "Nenita", operated by Margarita Tours:

... buildup of a big storm in the afternoon while heading down river:

... later it cleared and the river was as reflective as a mirror:

We turned south into the Rio Orosa, one of the myriad of tributaries of the Amazon. Madre Selva is located a few kms upstream.

Dining hall at Madre Selva:

Dormitory at Madre Selva:

Madre Selva was covered with old secondary forest. The original forest must have been cut long ago since the canopy was closed and the forest understorey was open. Antbirds and other forest interior birds were abundant and diverse.

Our second stop was at Santa Cruz, a recent acquisition by Project Amazonas. This site was only about an hour by fast water taxi from Iquitos. Santa Cruz was accessed by the Rio Napo, another tributary of the Amazon.

The forest here was cut much more recently than at Madre Selva. Many areas were dense and impenetrable. There were small patches of primary forest along some of the drainages but in general, birdlife was not so diverse. It was good for reptiles and invertebrates.

The infrastructure here was much more basic than at Madre Selva.

This report will cover the arachnids encountered on the trip. I would be grateful for identifications as I know little about these creatures.

Harvestman with extremely long legs:

Harvestman of some sort? I love the strange pattern and shape.

Another that had been killed by a fungus. Skeletons like this are not all that uncommon. It seems that there is a fungus that attacks and consumes the inverts. When finished, all that is left is the exoskeleton and portions of the dried fungus.

Web-casting Spider. I saw a few of these amazing creatures at both Madre Selva and Santa Cruz.

Tarantula. This one was hunting in a banana plantation.

A real monster, the largest arachnid that I have ever encountered. It was heavy enough to be heard as it ran across the floor of the photo lab.

Jewel Spider? Amazing body form. Does anyone know why these animals have this form? Is it somehow disruptive so that it is not recognized by predators?

Another Jewel? Pretty but not as elaborate as the species above:

... big and nicely coloured:

... big and "relaxed":

Is this some sort of Wolf Spider? It was defensive and it jumped onto my boot when I disturbed it.

Wolf Spider?

This was the largest spider (non-tarantula) that I have ever seen! Someone called it a "Banana Spider". Does anyone recognize it?

I saw a few scorpions like this at night. They were usually sitting quietly, head downwards, on small tree trunks within a meter of the ground.

I saw these Tail-less Whip Scorpions every night in the forest. They were usually on fallen logs or on the trunks of big trees.

Sunset on the Rio Orosa:

Thanks for the help,
David

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I'm in heaven :drool: .......

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spider 5th/ 6th photo from bottom is a Phoneutria!! :D

That looks like an incredible trip. Nice job on the photography!

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The spider 5th/ 6th photo from bottom is a Phoneutria!! :D

That looks like an incredible trip. Nice job on the photography!
Think that's 6th-7th from bottom.

Nr 8, 9 and 10 from the bottom are Ctenidae (same family as Phoneutria).

Nr 11 from the bottom, that nicely colored one, is a Sparassidae (huntsman).

Wouldn't say no to any of those ;)

Looks like an awesome trip! Did you go for 1 or 2 weeks?

Excellent photography btw!

Tiggy

Arachnopeon
OMG I AM SO JELOUS!!!!

That looks like an unforgetable trip you took, and those photographs were wonderful!

Thanks for posting! :D

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Fantastic shots, David! Thanks for sharing.

I believe: #6 is Avicularia sp., 8 & 9 are some sort of Micrathena sp.

The first tailless whip is a female, the 2nd a male, maybe Heterophrynus?

How would you rate the guide service overall? This company's on my list for a future possible trip.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Was the Web-Casting Spider directly above H2O ?

Curious.....

Great Pix! :worship: I wanna go too, me too, me too.

That Bottom pick, Wow!

TY - Jason

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great pics!! It makes me want to come back there... I was there last year, exactly a year ago! But went to explore the Pacaya-Samiria area. I found the same Pamphobeteus sp. and a different Avicularia (sp. peru purple), also Cyriocosmus bertae, Tapinauchenius sp....
This year, another Amazon trip for sure!!

Cheers,
Pato

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think spider pic #1 looks like a Pholcid more than an Opilionid harvestman.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello all,

Thanks so much for all of the help with the spider identifications. Sorry for not numbering the pics as that would have made it easier.

Do you have any ideas about the identity of arachnid #2 from top? The harvestman with spikes on the abdomen? What an odd creature it was.

Erik,
I was in Peru for 14 days. Ten of these were on tour and the other four I spent with friends at the Allpahuayo Mishana Reserve near Iquitos. The latter site is an interesting white sand area. This reserve protected primary forest but this was dense with stunted trees due to the soil conditions.

zonbonzovi,
I would highly recommend Margarita Tours to anyone interested in seeing the Amazon. Although I was on a reptile tour, people were free to do anything. I usually went with a couple of friends or alone into the forest. There were guides available but once I was familiar with the trails, they were no longer necessary. We did use a bird guide a fair amount of the time since he was so good at recognizing the calls of various birds.

The cost of the tour was much less than I expected. Facilities were perfectly adequate and food was good. We had a varied lot of participants but we all got along well. It really was a wonderful experience.

Jason,
No, I only saw the web-casting spiders in the forest or in banana plantations. None were over water. Strange beasts!

Super-pede,
I know nothing about the banana spiders. Are their bites really that toxic? I was under the impression that they delivered a painful bite but nothing worse. I read a report of another guy who visited Madre Selva a couple of years ago. In front of the dorm were poles where we would place our gumboots. When he picked his up one morning, he tapped the boot before putting it on ... fortunately! One of these monsters emerged and it was highly defensive.

Thanks again,
David

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
Super-pede,
I know nothing about the banana spiders. Are their bites really that toxic? I was under the impression that they delivered a painful bite but nothing worse. I read a report of another guy who visited Madre Selva a couple of years ago. In front of the dorm were poles where we would place our gumboots. When he picked his up one morning, he tapped the boot before putting it on ... fortunately! One of these monsters emerged and it was highly defensive.

Thanks again,
David
quick google search brought up this:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-banana-spider.htm

"The South American banana spider's venom is neurotoxic, or acts on the nervous system, and is similar to the venom produced by redback spiders, also known as black widows. A phoneutria banana spider's bite will cause immediate pain, a cold sweat and irregular heartbeat. Antivenin does exist and the bite can be deadly so immediate medical attention is necessary."

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are three more:

1) Looks similar to the animal in aollgaard's report from Ecuador. Unfortunately, I had my zoom rather than macro mounted and did not take the time to change lenses.

2) An arachnid with its own collection of arachnids:

3) another scorpion. This one was from Santa Cruz but I suppose that it was the same as the one already posted that was photographed at Madre Selva:

Regards,
David

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks, pwilson.

Here is a closeup of one of the Banana Spiders:

It was sitting quietly on the upper leaves of a small shrub along the trail. A couple of branches below was this feeding katydid and cricket. Talk about living dangerously! They were no doubt in for a surprise if they climbed abit higher.

Regards,
David

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very nice pictures.

banana spiders are very deadly and rumor has it the venom from that spider will give you a really painful erection and if you live, you will not be able to have erections afterward.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Alejandro,

Thanks for the info. I don't think that I like Banana Spiders anymore!

Regards,
David

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is another shot of a Banana Spider. This one was from Santa Cruz whereas the others were from Madre Selva.

More pics of a Micrathena sp. that I encountered at night at Santa Cruz:

... cryptic pose:

... is this its nest?

... feeding whip-scorpion. It was munching a small cockroach:

Regards,
David

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very nice pictures.

banana spiders are very deadly and rumor has it the venom from that spider will give you a really painful erection and if you live, you will not be able to have erections afterward.
Stop telling crap. Like you said: "rumor".

It's the truth that Phoneutria sp. have venom that is more much more dangerous then other spiders, but aren't as deadly as you say.
You probably read that in a magazine. Try getting some serious info before talking bs.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0036-46652000000100003&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stop telling crap. Like you said: "rumor".

It's the truth that Phoneutria sp. have venom that is more much more dangerous then other spiders, but aren't as deadly as you say.
You probably read that in a magazine. Try getting some serious info before talking bs.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0036-46652000000100003&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en
well... they definitely can give arise to priapism. search for the paper http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rimtsp/v42n1/v42n1a03.pdf online. i don't know as it is going to break your junk, though.

awesome pictures! looks like you really got to see a lot of bugs down there :)

Last edited: