Peru, November 2006

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just returned from a little trip in the mountains. I will post both photos of the animals and the scenery in this thread.

First stop was in a place called Sayan. When walking out of town I found a rock with 2 juvenile Latrodectus geometricus.

This is the typical habitat there, rocky and very very dry.

Not really much in Sayan other than a few True Spiders, so we left there after about 3 hours.

Next stop was in Churin. This area is a little more lush and the scenery is breathtaking.

The crickets there are HUGE!!!! I know some tarantulas that would love to sink their teeth into one of these LOL

It didsnt take very long until I found a baby scorpion under a rock. Probably a Hadruroides sp

Check this out!!! I finally found a tarantula down here. I have no idea which species it is. Check out the mite on the back leg. And no thats not my cigarette butt in the 2nd pic. The only place I find stuff down here is where there is alot of trash on the ground.

Found this little Jumping spider on a flower.

The scenery is just awesome in Churin. It reminds me of Canta which is also in Peru.

Here is a scorpion I found. Another Hadruroides sp I presume. Looks just like the ones I found in Canta this time last year.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Is that the tarantula's true coloring? Or isn't it all covered in that ashy-dirt?
Great pics by the way! I've been to Peru, but didn't get to look around for stuff out there. Did that in Ecuador.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that the tarantula's true coloring? Or isn't it all covered in that ashy-dirt?
Great pics by the way! I've been to Peru, but didn't get to look around for stuff out there. Did that in Ecuador.
Actually both LOL. It did get some dirt on it when I kicked over the rock. All in all it is just a boring brown juvenile T. Still I am happy to have found it since out of 5 trips here this is the only one I have found. I need to go to the Amazon since that is where all the good stuff is.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The t reminds alot of Chaetopelma gracilis (which of course it isnt) but might be a Ischnocolidae

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh jeez!!! I forgot to post pics of the little toad we found

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The t reminds alot of Chaetopelma gracilis (which of course it isnt) but might be a Ischnocolidae
Lelle, Do you know of a source that might have Ts listed by region? If so, I could narrow it down alot since I know the exact place where it lives.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just for the fun of it, here are some pics that I took between Sayan and Churin. The road is very narrow and probably dangerous. One slip up and its a loooooong ways down LOL

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lelle, Do you know of a source that might have Ts listed by region? If so, I could narrow it down alot since I know the exact place where it lives.
I dont know any list but you can always search on Platnicks site for "Peru"
Should give you some info atleast
Email Rick West, he might have more info

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is back in Churin again. Note how much more lush it is there. Naturally that is where all the good stuff is.

I find it fascinating how these little villages pop up out of nowhere in the Andes Mtns

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont know any list but you can always search on Platnicks site for "Peru"
Should give you some info atleast
Email Rick West, he might have more info
Yeah I am planning to email Rick West. He would probably have a general idea or at least know to point me in the right direction.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I need to go to the Amazon since that is where all the good stuff is.
Yeah, my tour guide was more then happy to help look for tarantula burrows and nests. He liked to see me get them out, and tell him about them.
However, we only did it for like 2 half-days and a night. Not near as long as I would have liked.;)

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Brian,

Awesome pics and it looks like a pretty sweet trip! Nice looking Latro as well. I may just be crossing my fingers too hard, but how big would you say it was?

Adios,
-Matt

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Brian,

Awesome pics and it looks like a pretty sweet trip! Nice looking Latro as well. I may just be crossing my fingers too hard, but how big would you say it was?

Adios,
-Matt
Matt, Its about 1 or at the most 2 molts from adulthood. They are the same size as all other Latros I have seen so that is what I am basing that on.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice photo's Brian ! I will aso say thank you for sharing, some of the views are stunning.

Cheers Wade

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Wade, The photos really doesnt do those places justice. You really need to visit in person to see the real beauty there. The road that goes to Churin is very narrow and gravel. I honestly dont know what keeps the road from sliding off the side of the mtn LOL

tarantulasperu

Arachnopeon