Peru Field Pics: If you have a slow connection don't open this. 200+ Pics!

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I'm insanely jealous. Is that a jaguar you saw???

Christoffer

Arachnosquire
Incredible! You are so damn lucky :O And to catch a jaguar picture... WOW!
LOVED the pictures. Those dwarf macaws are so cute, i had one named lulu :D She was the most gorgeous bird in the world :D i miss her now :(

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome trip. thanks for sharing the photos.

i liked the pepsis wasp.
and that water bug was huge.

moose

jim777

Arachnosquire
Stunning pictures, absolutely breathtaking! Thanks so much for sharing :)

VickyChaiTea

Arachnosquire
WHAT!?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!

Everything is SO BEAUTIFUL OH GOSH I'm dying over here. Things just kept getting more and more interesting and SOOOO GORGEOUS!

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Perhaps I should put a disclaimer next time warning that hands may be present in the photos. :)

If I were just sight seeing I would have tried to photograph them in natural settings as I prefer them that way as well. On this trip I was collecting for my research and I didn't want to risk losing the insect solely for the aesthetic quality of a photograph.
Makes perfect sense, I forgot that this could be a possibility and I totally understand. In the past, when I made trips to collect tarantulas, I have very few pictures of these specimens since I did not want to loose them.

All the best

Martin

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So much to gush over and compliment on but seeing and photographing a jaguar in the wild, just. so. awesome!

colorcham427

Arachnopeon
I am so jealous! lol great shots man! hey, not sure if you saw many mantids? but did you and just didn't bother taking pix? I have a fever for mantids! lol

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am so jealous! lol great shots man! hey, not sure if you saw many mantids? but did you and just didn't bother taking pix? I have a fever for mantids! lol
We went during the dry season, but we did see plenty of mantids. The most common were bark mantids running up and down the trunks, but we saw some larger mantids that resembled walking sticks (Phasmatodea).

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! what an array of all kinds of sp. awesome place,and soooo many kinds of crix,grass hoppers,and that water bug biggie!!,great shots of all of the animals:)

Last edited:

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello All,

How hard was to get permits to bring specimens??????? I love the pics of the phasmids and the proscopids, as well as the M acteon and the A longimanus. You got to love those Harlequin beetles.

regards

Francisco

Robotponys

Arachnoknight
This is an old-ish thread, but did you collect some of these and bring them back? Or was it just for research there?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These were brought back with us as dead specimens. We didn't have export permits to allow bringing back anything alive.

Nebulosa

Arachnopeon
Dude, you saw and photographed a jaguar!?! Awesome! Like the Acrocinus longimanus and Macrodontia sp. too! Nice shots. Thanks for sharing!

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
Where in Peru were you?

My hubby & I stayed in the Colca canyon in the mountains (very high altitude), and it seemed oddly devoid of animal life. This was our honeymoon trip, though, so I didn't specifically go looking, but we hiked a bit & spent much of our time outdoors. I should note that this trip happened *before* I had a real interest in tarantulas (otherwise he wouldn't have married me,:laugh: jk...sort of ). Arequipa was the closest bigger city. The landscape was similar to that seen in the alpaca (or was it a llama?) pic. It was so quiet in the mountains--only a few insects (flies, gnats) & birds (looked similar to robins; one particular area had condors). We didn't see any small native mammals at all!!

I'm guessing you were in the rain-forest-y part of the country, lol...looks like it's teeming with life! Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I'm vegetarian, but Aaron tried whatever meat he could get. He had the same reaction you did--he said the guinea pig was disgusting & he wouldn't eat it again. We were in an awesome restaurant at the time. Must be an acquired taste?

Did you have a few pisco sours? We definitely enjoyed them... and there were some really delicious red/purple maize drinks that for the life of me I can't remember their name. The helado queso was amazing, too!

Lovely country--I would love to go back someday.

Jeni

ColcaCanyon.jpg view.jpg prohibido pasar.jpg

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Perhaps I should put a disclaimer next time warning that hands may be present in the photos. :)

If I were just sight seeing I would have tried to photograph them in natural settings as I prefer them that way as well. On this trip I was collecting for my research and I didn't want to risk losing the insect solely for the aesthetic quality of a photograph.
Same as Martin, amazing that you could spot a wild Jaguar ! Pretty impressive.
Just curious, what research are you doing?

Pato