Personal Opinion on Avicularia Diversipes?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People fear what they don't understand.
Wise and true.

I was thinking it'd be better to maybe look online
Many online retailers, and many in the classifieds. The only absolutely NEVER BUY from site, is Blackwater...aka Slackwater, aka "Burning your money gives one more enjoyment"..NEVER EVER buy from them.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Wise and true.
I try to keep things in perspective.

Many online retailers, and many in the classifieds. The only absolutely NEVER BUY from site, is Blackwater...aka Slackwater, aka "Burning your money gives one more enjoyment"..NEVER EVER buy from them.
Yeah I saw that in someone's signature. I am curious, what exactly do they do? Corporate conglomerate type of stuff?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try to keep things in perspective.

Yeah I saw that in someone's signature. I am curious, what exactly do they do? Corporate conglomerate type of stuff?
Not sure what you meant

cold blood

Staff member
Mmmm, Like . . . a corrupt business with no care for anything but money and how to make it.
They do everything wrong, from poor shipping, to mis-identified species to sending the wrong sex. Most places you would order from are really good, this one is the black eye of the tarantula dealers. Regardless of who you buy from, always check their review page...everyone selling here in the AB classifieds is required to have a review page...this allows you to buy with confidence...we have a ton of very good sellers here, way too many to mention.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
They do everything wrong, from poor shipping, to mis-identified species to sending the wrong sex. Most places you would order from are really good, this one is the black eye of the tarantula dealers. Regardless of who you buy from, always check their review page...everyone selling here in the AB classifieds is required to have a review page...this allows you to buy with confidence...we have a ton of very good sellers here, way too many to mention.
Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. So-far I can tell this is probably my best bet for buying a tarantula online. Very friendly atmosphere here and you can tell the people care about what they're doing.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Absolutely...best option for both selection and prices.
I still think I've got a ways to go before I purchase a tarantula either way. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one any time soon, however I will remain interested and seeking knowledge.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Tarantula's are not pets to be handled. You need to treat them like fish. If you are looking for an exotic animal to care for AND to handle, do yourself a favor and get a kitten or a snake.

Just because you see people doing something, doesn't mean it's correct or safe. It's particularly not safe for the tarantulas.

I STRONGLY suggest you do a lot of reading here at this forum. There are PLENTY of threads for "Help my T escaped"...why? Because they were busy handling the animal.

Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something.
Wait a second. A kitten is an exotic pet?!?!?!?!?!?! :troll:

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I still think I've got a ways to go before I purchase a tarantula either way. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get one any time soon, however I will remain interested and seeking knowledge.
You seem to be over-thinking this. Yes, it is VERY important to do research before buying a T. You want to make sure you're getting an appropriate level T, and that you know how to take care of it. But it seems you have done all that. Find one that is beginner-friendly and appeals to you, and then jump in.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
You seem to be over-thinking this. Yes, it is VERY important to do research before buying a T. You want to make sure you're getting an appropriate level T, and that you know how to take care of it. But it seems you have done all that. Find one that is beginner-friendly and appeals to you, and then jump in.
I probably am a little bit to be honest, I tend to do that. Part of it is also money, something I don't have a whole lot of. I go to school too so there's those expenses. I just wanna make sure I touch all the bases however, I don't want to improperly care for the Tarantula. However, mainly the issue is just money.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I probably am a little bit to be honest, I tend to do that. Part of it is also money, something I don't have a whole lot of. I go to school too so there's those expenses. I just wanna make sure I touch all the bases however, I don't want to improperly care for the Tarantula. However, mainly the issue is just money.
Ah, well yeah... that's a different story haha.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yes money is the main issue for me too.

i've seen two adds in the classifieds just from today that i would jump on if i had an extra 400 bucks. LOL

Ilich

Arachnosquire
Ah, well yeah... that's a different story haha.
Also, I seem to have a tendency to sometimes go all out on something too quickly and then get very bored of that thing. I wanna make sure that this is something I really want to do. It would be unfair to the tarantula if I wasn't really passionate about this.

Yes money is the main issue for me too.

i've seen two adds in the classifieds just from today that i would jump on if i had an extra 400 bucks. LOL
It's a hard knock life, for us both then. I'm a student at a technical college, so money is sparse.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
To be frank, a sling wouldn't cost much and could be fed for about $3 every 6 months. You couldn't ask for a lower maintenance, lower cost critter to buy.

I do commend you on wanting to be sure this is something you will maintain interest in...too many just impulse buy. I always hate to see someone get a live animal, especially one with a potentially long life, then get rid of it shortly after.

Ilich

Arachnosquire
To be frank, a sling wouldn't cost much and could be fed for about $3 every 6 months. You couldn't ask for a lower maintenance, lower cost critter to buy.

I do commend you on wanting to be sure this is something you will maintain interest in...too many just impulse buy. I always hate to see someone get a live animal, especially one with a potentially long life, then get rid of it shortly after.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind owning a sling, I live in Washington state as well for the moment. I'm mostly thinking about the long game, where I will be at in a few years, done with school and living with my soon-to-be-fiance, and convincing her to let me have one, lmao. She's has arachnophobia, I'm trying to explain to her that they're not scary at all and I almost got her there. So far she's agreed to let me have them as long as they're not in the house. Which I could do, I was thinking about building a sort of "shed" or "shop" to keep them in. Obviously with insulation, heating, electricity, etc.

Thank you, regardless of whether or not what I decide, I love animals in general so this is important to me. I've always liked spiders and growing up on a ranch often handled wild tarantulas as a small child. I know, I know, that's a no-no, but luckily I never had problems.

cold blood

Staff member
I've always liked spiders and growing up on a ranch often handled wild tarantulas as a small child. I know, I know, that's a no-no, but luckily I never had problems.
As children, I think most of us probably handled just about any and everything we could get our hands on.;)

Sometimes we still do.