Personal Experiences with Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola pulchripes)

Potential

Arachnopeon
After reading about several species and looking through beginner species ideas, (still confused why an OTB would be considered a beginner species), I'm looking closely at the Chaco Golden Knee (Grammastola pulchripes).

I'm sure members have kept this species and I would love to hear personal experiences, good or bad, if you'd be willing to share.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
still confused why an OTB would be considered a beginner species.
So are we.

Pulchripes is a great species, usually docile but individuals vary. Big, beautiful, hardy, grows at a moderate rate. Enthusiastic eaters (keep your fingers away so they're not mistaken for food, which can happen with any docile species. Remember, they are wild animals). Highly recommended.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
I have had a sling since july and it has molted once, no problems or anything so far. Mine likes to burrow a lot, definitely suggest a lot of dry sub. It is pretty nervous and dives for it's hide/burrow a lot - but it is a sling so that is to be expected. Before purchasing I read a bunch of stuff about them and read people's experiences on here. My impression is they are very good beginner T's and from all reports I have read they tend to be very docile but as always, every specimen is different. It seems when people ask, "what is a good beginner T?" the G. pulchripes often comes up in discussion. Try searching through old threads as well though I am sure you will get plenty of helpful responses from people much more experienced than I.

Edit: hah, see! Poec54 already said it: "highly recommended"

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My G. pulchripes female is stunning. I'm glad I have her, as she was my dream T before I really began to look at all the tarantulas available in the hobby. They are subtly beautiful, mostly dark brown with those sparks of intense gold on their knees. She's slow and easy to care for, which is a good combination for a newbie. They get to impressive sizes as adults-- 8" I believe. I'm not sure what the time period is in years for them to go from sling to adulthood though. Mine is about 3.25" right now, so she still has some time to grow.

However, my little lady (Morticia) is definitely moody. She'll flick sometimes when I open her enclosure to feed or take out her water dish. Her feeding response is intense and I've had her attack tongs and water. She almost rivals my A. geniculata as far as her voracity goes. She's an A. geniculata without the speed or color practically.

My experiences with her are all positive, and I highly recommend this species as long as you aren't getting a T solely for handling purposes. If you want a spider you can let crawl on your hand, you might be disappointed. As mentioned, grammys have their mood swings.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have three, they're all from the same egg sac - two females and a male. All three are pretty much the stereotypical G. pulchripes, docile and slow to kick hairs - I've never witnessed a threat display. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to beginners. After two years, they're all roughly four to five inches in leg span (dls). They grow surprisingly quick given their genus, and, they're always hungry.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine is probably my most "defensive" tarantula surprisingly, anytime I go near the enclosure it starts running around or throws a pose; it's even haired a cricket that was drinking out of its water cap. Of course I love the little guy as it tackled and chases whatever I put in there and probably has grown an inch in the year I've had it (just starting to get the gold). Pretty simple set up of some dirt and a water cap as mine has a tunnel it hides in but they like cork too. Everyone has a different story, mine just happens to be very excitable.

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Pulchripes is a great species, usually docile but individuals vary. Big, beautiful, hardy, grows at a moderate rate. Enthusiastic eaters (keep your fingers away so they're not mistaken for food, which can happen with any docile species. Remember, they are wild animals). Highly recommended.
Basically what Poec has stated, G. pulchripes is a great beginner species. I've kept tarantulas for over 5 years now and I've kept all different types of beginner to more advanced species. Just last summer I gave in and got a .75" - 1" sling for $10 at a reptile show just to see what the hype was about. Well, a year later and it's a little over 2 inches, it destroys any mealworm/cricket/roach that it comes in contact with, and is finally getting out of its shy stage. I'm sure it would be larger by now with more feeding, but I'd rather see this one live longer than powerfeed it so it grows and ages too quickly. I have to say, the little bugger is really growing on me and I wish that I had gotten on when I first got in the hobby.

Last edited:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
My guy is still pretty small at 1" so he's skittish but he acts like a mini LP when feeding. Obts are considered good beginner species because they won't die (although I had two die on me).

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
My girl is about 4 inches now and she's the best. Always out in the open, an eating machine, never flicked hair or threat displayed. I don't handle her however. She's only out of her tank for maintenance for short periods.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't handle her however. She's only out of her tank for maintenance for short periods.
You don't even need to do that. I have a lot of OW's and high strung NW tropicals and I wouldn't dream of taking them out of their cages for maintenance. That cage is their home, the only thing in the world they can call their own. I don't want to take that away from them.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to slightly disagree with that poec. If I'm trying to remove a cricket from an OW enclosure which I'm positive is going to molt any day, I'm not going to be chasing the thing around the enclosure with a pair of tongs while the tarantula is in there. Too many things could go wrong.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have to slightly disagree with that poec. If I'm trying to remove a cricket from an OW enclosure which I'm positive is going to molt any day, I'm not going to be chasing the thing around the enclosure with a pair of tongs while the tarantula is in there. Too many things could go wrong.
OW's usually seal themselves in their retreats when shedding. If they don't they're not going to be very active when they're premolt. I'd rather not take a premolt spider out of it's cage; things can go wrong with that too.

CBickert

Arachnopeon
I may be a bit biased since it was the G. pulchripes that got me into this addicting hobby in the first place. I got her for free after a friend got it as a joke gift for Christmas, and she was going to leave it outside in the middle of December. I decided to take the little 1/2" sling in and that was in December of 2012. She just molted a week ago and is now a solid 3.5". Very good eater, docile enough to handle if you must, and mine has always been out in the open since it reached 1.5-2". Personally I think a very underrated T in the hobby. I think she is just gorgeous after a fresh molt. I am excited to see how big she will get in a few years, and to see how long she is with me.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After reading about several species and looking through beginner species ideas, (still confused why an OTB would be considered a beginner species), I'm looking closely at the Chaco Golden Knee (Grammastola pulchripes).

I'm sure members have kept this species and I would love to hear personal experiences, good or bad, if you'd be willing to share.

Not sure where you got the idea that a Pterinochilus murinus was a great starter T, but it typically isn't. Granted, I've started a LOT of people off on them, but there are reasons and exceptions to every rule. Let's examine real quick why an OBT may be a good starter into the hobby.

1. It's beautiful. Can't argue there. Orange and fiery...when out, it's a great attraction and conversation starter.
2. They lack urticating hairs. If there's one thing I've seen turn people away from the hobby, it's that they HATE urticating hairs and they don't realize there are other species without, or other keepers tell them the lie that one must be more experienced for an OW T. FYI...there are MUCH easier OW Ts than this.
3. They are cheap, and easy to come by. Very attractive to a newbie that doesn't want to spend a ton of money on the animal itself. Not a great valid point to most of us, but it's a fact we live with.
4. They are extremely hardy and adaptable. As far as husbandry goes, probably one of the most forgiving species. There are numerous jokes about how difficult it is to kill this species.
5. Need I really go on?

However, just because most people I've started into the hobby, I've had start on OBTs, does NOT mean they are for you. There are many species to select from and neither Pterinochilus murinus nor Grammastola pulchripes is for everybody.

Let me say this, though: If you are going to start NW, I don't think there is a better species to start with.

1. It's NOT a Rose Hair! Everyone and their dog...and their dog's cat, has a Rose Hair. You're already a step ahead. ;)
2. They are generally docile, and easily handleable. A plus for people with small collections that can't not touch. Haha
3. They HAVE colour and are interesting to look at. They stay in the open a lot and make good conversation starters as well.
4. They get BIG and grow at a fairly rapid rate. In accordance, are also typically good eaters for a Grammastola sp.
5. It's NOT a Rose Hair!
6. Need I really go on? I figure you get the point by now. :)

Potential

Arachnopeon
Wow! I really appreciate so many people sharing their experiences! I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I'm not very fast, so am really interested in a slow species. I have no allergic reaction to bee venom, so could take a bite, but don't have the pain tolerance to handle anything with lasting effects. I have read the forum bite reports trying to understand every aspect I can.

I can think quickly and have great reactions when working with dogs and horses, but I have YEARS of experience with them and understand their communication very well, which is something I don't have with T's. I have been watching videos to understand threat displays, nervousness, etc from a T, but I think everyone would agree that what is seen on a video is much different than being in the actual situation.

Something I have learned when doing research is that T's don't need to be handled, although it's personal preference on whether a person does or doesn't. More than likely, I wouldn't be handling my T much, but I would like to be able to handle it if needed to be done to safely remove it from a potentially dangerous situation, such as falling, etc. Obviously, prevention is important in this regard, but like I tell my animals, I'm only human.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Wow! I really appreciate so many people sharing their experiences! I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I'm not very fast, so am really interested in a slow species. I have no allergic reaction to bee venom, so could take a bite, but don't have the pain tolerance to handle anything with lasting effects. I have read the forum bite reports trying to understand every aspect I can.

I can think quickly and have great reactions when working with dogs and horses, but I have YEARS of experience with them and understand their communication very well, which is something I don't have with T's. I have been watching videos to understand threat displays, nervousness, etc from a T, but I think everyone would agree that what is seen on a video is much different than being in the actual situation.

Something I have learned when doing research is that T's don't need to be handled, although it's personal preference on whether a person does or doesn't. More than likely, I wouldn't be handling my T much, but I would like to be able to handle it if needed to be done to safely remove it from a potentially dangerous situation, such as falling, etc. Obviously, prevention is important in this regard, but like I tell my animals, I'm only human.
I've got a decent suggestion for you. Euathlus sp. "red" is a great species for dipping your toes into the water so to speak. They're very, very slow though I've noticed quick little bursts once in a while. By burst, I mean it only lasts for about an inch or two and then they're back to a snail's pace. Very gentle, very docile, and they are not defensive. Not that I've heard anyway, but I'm sure there is always that one case that's an exception to the rule. I've never witnessed hair flicking, threat postures, or any other such defense mechanism from mine. Easy to handle, if you'd like to get a feel for that.

Best beginner T in my personal opinion, but I'm very new and have only worked with a few species. Brachypelma albopilosum and Eupalaestrus campestratus are also very good choices as well, I see them suggested a lot. I have no personal experience with those two yet, but I've heard good things.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had that exact situation with one my C. fimbriatus once. Since their burrows are heavily sealed with webbing there's no freaking way that cricket could get to the T. Just fish the noisy thing out and be done with it.

I've got a decent suggestion for you. Euathlus sp. "red" is a great species for dipping your toes into the water so to speak. They're very, very slow though I've noticed quick little bursts once in a while. By burst, I mean it only lasts for about an inch or two and then they're back to a snail's pace. Very gentle, very docile, and they are not defensive. Not that I've heard anyway, but I'm sure there is always that one case that's an exception to the rule. I've never witnessed hair flicking, threat postures, or any other such defense mechanism from mine. Easy to handle, if you'd like to get a feel for that.

Best beginner T in my personal opinion, but I'm very new and have only worked with a few species. Brachypelma albopilosum and Eupalaestrus campestratus are also very good choices as well, I see them suggested a lot. I have no personal experience with those two yet, but I've heard good things.
Well, friend of mine had an AF that flicked hairs readily, but that one was probably WCed.

At any rate, G. pulchripes are great. Just keep in mind that as a Grammostola, chances are it'll go fasting at some point. And when it happens, it can last literally for months. They're also "moody" (in lack for a better term). My big girl is usually a doll and very chill, but there are days where she is the direct opposite and is annoyed the moment I open the enclosure to refill her waterdish. She has never flicked a single bristle, but she as thrown threatpostures and tried to bite the straw. I really love mine, but I'm not as silly as to believe she wouldn't take a nip at me given the chance.