People Kill Record Mako for no Reason

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
I've read about that before.

There are still a lot of illegal fishing done, for example how Japan fishes whales. It happens still.
Another question who are we to say that Japan can't fish whales if they want too? We don't own Japan so I personally think that if the Japanese want to fish whales they can go right ahead.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Another question who are we to say that Japan can't fish whales if they want too? We don't own Japan so I personally think that if the Japanese want to fish whales they can go right ahead.
True, but again whales are pretty important for the oceans.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
"Most" important or not, they are still an important and vital piece of the ocean's various ecosystems. Your statement betrays a misunderstanding of the delicate balance each part of an ecosystem plays.
Where is it you infer that I don't understand it. Sharks don't need to be around for the ocean creature to survive. Sure they cut down the fish population but compared to us they are just scratching the surface.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Where is it you infer that I don't understand it. Sharks don't need to be around for the ocean creature to survive. Sure they cut down the fish population but compared to us they are just scratching the surface.
Well, I now infer it by you saying "sharks aren't needed". You don't get how important each piece of an ecosystem is to a whole if you honestly believe what you typed.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
True, but again whales are pretty important for the oceans.
I get that but if it is not illegal there then why do we feel the need to worry about it over here in other countries?

---------- Post added 06-12-2013 at 09:06 PM ----------

Well, I now infer it by you saying "sharks aren't needed". You don't get how important each piece of an ecosystem is to a whole if you honestly believe what you typed.
Well understand it or not, I stand by my statement.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
http://iwc.int/members.htm

Note Japan is a member.

And I stand by mine, as well.
Still illegal or not who are we say there are too many laws and regulations these days because people are nothing but greedy and want money whaling used too be a.big.business back in the 1800s why could it not be today? As long as they aren't being so overhunted that they become extinct. Again I stand by my opinion.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Still illegal or not who are we say there are too many laws and regulations these days because people are nothing but greedy and want money whaling used too be a.big.business back in the 1800s why could it not be today? As long as they aren't being so overhunted that they become extinct. Again I stand by my opinion.
Most whales are endangered due not just whaling, but large shipping boats hitting them like manatees in Florida. Note this list: http://www.sarkanniemi.fi/akatemiat/form.html

Also, sharks are very important. They are the oceans garbage cans, heath monitors of reefs, population controllers, and stop the spread of diseases. It would be like humans having no way to dispose of trash, no medecine, no doctors, and if humans were cloning themselves like bacteria. The result would be widespread disease, hunger, overcrowding, and sleeping in garbage.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Ok let's just end this pointless argument it is obvious that we aren't going to get along very well so let's save every one the pain of reading through this and end the argument here.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
There is one way to stop japan from whaling and that is kick them out of important activities, stop buying perfume or through war. For some reason as well most people say Chinese people hunt whales. However if war breaks out against japan I will go against japan.

---------- Post added 06-13-2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Japan is a member and still hunts them omg heaven help those id10ts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scubazaru

Arachnopeon
Actually sharks promote cancer in humans due to high mercury content they accumulate as apex predators. I could go on and on about sharks as my lively hood, hobby, and passion runs in line with them but I'll keep it short. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, Stupidity is when you posses the knowledge and ignore it. I can forgive the ignorant, I can teach them. Education and the learning process can be an amazing thing. It's the fact that people don't know what they don't know that I can get over. It's the greed and "no F's given" mentality where my frustration lies. Education is working, not at the pace that we need it too, but it is making a progression. Hell even Jacque Cousteau used to kill whales in order to lure sharks, only to bash them and kill them. Look what he learned and the legacy he left due to the knowledge he obtained. It can make a difference. All of this aside, the original posted picture is NOTHING compared to by-catch loss and big industry. One shark? no big deal, the worlds fishing industry destroys 100lbs of sea life for every ten lbs. you consume. Stop the demand, stop the supply. It sucks not to be able to relish in sushi bars here in Japan, but unless the catch is coming from local fisherman, I do not eat at the establishment. That's the small part I can do without even doing anything at all really.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 03:03 PM ----------

There is one way to stop japan from whaling and that is kick them out of important activities, stop buying perfume or through war. For some reason as well most people say Chinese people hunt whales. However if war breaks out against japan I will go against japan.

---------- Post added 06-13-2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Japan is a member and still hunts them omg heaven help those id10ts.
You do realize that countries like Norway and other Icelandic countries kill just as much whale if not more than Japan? All under the guise of laws.

---------- Post added 03-09-2015 at 03:23 PM ----------

Why are sharks a sign of a healthy reef, just curious?

I too am into fish, mostly 'cichlids'. I probably know more about cichlids than anyone here, I've kept them my whole life.

Coral reefs make up less than 1% of the worlds oceans. 96% of consumable foods that us humans eat live on coral reefs. Sharks are the apex predators of the oceans. They are what keeps the bio-eroders in check from overpopulating and destroying the reef. They also prevent sedimentation of the coral reefs by keeping them clean since they also eat pretty much anything that would otherwise pollute the reef, suffocating it and causing the Zooxanthellae to leave the coral they inhabit, causing the coral to die, breakdown, cause more sediment, to suffocate more coral ect ect..... Pretty much if you find a lot of sharks on a reef, the reef is usually in pristine condition, because the balance is maintained. This is just a piece of the puzzle in the ongoing fight for supremacy between coral, algae, and sponges. I can go on and on and on,,,, but sharks are needed. I'm new, so I don't think I can post links to sources here but perhaps I can get away with mentioning that a course Biology of the coral reefs was an awesome course of which the text we used went by the same name. Great read if your into that kind of stuff. Sorry for the lengthy post, ahh now back to what I came here for, looking to T groups in Japan LOL so off track here.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome to the forums, I do not believe anything inhibits you from providing sources, I'd even say its encouraged :)

On topic: I am glad to see education is beginning to take hold, but I do wonder if sometimes its not a little too late.

cold blood

Staff member
Actually sharks promote cancer in humans due to high mercury content they accumulate as apex predators.
That's one of the reasons it was needless to kill a giant mako. In fish, those toxin levels only go up, and the bigger the fish, the bigger the prey, meaning they are ingesting and storing larger amounts of toxins. The "if the fish was consumed its all good" mentality has it a bit skewed, eating this fish would not be your healthiest fish choice. Education goes a long way, if you understand this relationship, you'd never feed your family most fish that are large for their species.

Then there's the issue of genetics. Not all fish have the genetic capability to reach exceptional proportions, like most humans never get to 7'. Also they are typically the most proficient breeders, more young, that are born larger, giving them a distinct advantage over other yoy.

All around, larger fish are more important, and more valuable to the fishery, and more important for the good of the species (numbers, size and even recruitment)and as a result, more valuable to humans swimming free than on a plate or over a mantle. Its as simple as C.P.R Catch, Photo and Release. If you keep fish that's fine, just practice selective harvest. That's harvesting the right fish for the health of the fishery (whether its a lake, river, pond or an ocean), which is generally the smaller, more abundant, more easily replaceable fish, while releasing the fish that will help maintain the fishery (breeders and genetically superior specimens) so that it can be used for years to come and help more people feed their families in the long run. Overall health of all fisheries is a very important consideration more people should pay attention to. Its a sustainable resource with proper education and restraint...

Giant fish take a LONG time to replace.

On another note, this thread had possibly the biggest hi-jacking job that I may have ever witnessed.:wall:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Wait, what about all the bacteria that die in overcrowded Petri dishes each day?!?

Last edited by a moderator: