People Kill Record Mako for no Reason

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Same goes for Deer hunting. Everyone wants to bag the largest bucks, all they are doing is killing the strongest males and leaving the young and weak to reproduce which can negatively affect health of the population.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
Same goes for Deer hunting. Everyone wants to bag the largest bucks, all they are doing is killing the strongest males and leaving the young and weak to reproduce which can negatively affect health of the population.
Nope not agreed I go deer hunting and if I see a big buck I'm shooting that thing besides the does are what people need to keep around they are way more important than the bucks. And honestly I really don't care about the shark being killed after all whats one less shark gonna hurt?

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Nope not agreed I go deer hunting and if I see a big buck I'm shooting that thing besides the does are what people need to keep around they are way more important than the bucks. And honestly I really don't care about the shark being killed after all whats one less shark gonna hurt?
So 100 million sharks dont matter?

Last edited:

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
1 shark was killed not 100 million.
But 100 million sharks are killed each year. If everyone said "1 shark doesn't matter", theres 7 billion sharks. Now I know not everyone says that, but do you think that 1 human life = 10 million sharks?

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
But 100 million sharks are killed each year. If everyone said "1 shark doesn't matter", theres 7 billion sharks. Now I know not everyone says that, but do you think that 1 human life = 10 million sharks?
No sorry I do not think that 1 human life=10 million sharks most people don't even care about sharks. But if I caught a record shark I would have that thing mounted on my wall.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
No sorry I do not think that 1 human life=10 million sharks most people don't even care about sharks. But if I caught a record shark I would have that thing mounted on my wall.
You should care, because sharks are signs of healthy reefs, and health reefs mean healthy oceans, which generates almost half of the oxygen and is necessary to the survival of humans.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
You should care, because sharks are signs of healthy reefs, and health reefs mean healthy oceans, which generates almost half of the oxygen and is necessary to the survival of humans.
Why are sharks a sign of a healthy reef, just curious?

I too am into fish, mostly 'cichlids'. I probably know more about cichlids than anyone here, I've kept them my whole life.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Here's my question if sharks are the biggest predators of the sea what do the the other sea predators do? sharks aren't the most important sea predator there are other predators.
What do you mean by that last part?

Interesting read.

But us humans are already controlling much of the fish populations in the ocean. We fish like maniacs! We probably kill more fish than sharks.
Many of the fish species that we eat are sustainably raised or have restrictions to some extent.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Yes, but we still fish many wild species.
So were lobsters. Their population was declining until the fishermen and scientists teamed up to work to keep the fishery sustained and as a result the lobster population in the Atlantic is stable due to their actions. One thing they did was determine sizes/ages of which they could or could not fish out. An example would be not keeping pregnant or immature lobsters. Also, any lobster over a certain size could not be fished whether male or female, because they were so old and almost were rewarded for being that size.

This info was from what I read in the book "The Secret Life of Lobsters".

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Here's my question if sharks are the biggest predators of the sea what do the the other sea predators do? sharks aren't the most important sea predator there are other predators.
"Most" important or not, they are still an important and vital piece of the ocean's various ecosystems. Your statement betrays a misunderstanding of the delicate balance each part of an ecosystem plays.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
So were lobsters. Their population was declining until the fishermen and scientists teamed up to work to keep the fishery sustained and as a result the lobster population in the Atlantic is stable due to their actions. One thing they did was determine sizes/ages of which they could or could not fish out. An example would be not keeping pregnant or immature lobsters. Also, any lobster over a certain size could not be fished whether male or female, because they were so old and almost were rewarded for being that size.

This info was from what I read in the book "The Secret Life of Lobsters".
I've read about that before.

There are still a lot of illegal fishing done, for example how Japan fishes whales. It happens still.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I've read about that before.

There are still a lot of illegal fishing done, for example how Japan fishes whales. It happens still.
Well, Japan does a lot of illegal stuff, but people do things to stop whaling. The Sea Shepherds are doing a great job of that.

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Well, Japan does a lot of illegal stuff, but people do things to stop whaling. The Sea Shepherds are doing a great job of that.
Japan's illegal fishing was just an example, there are many more dreadful fishings going on. It's doleful.