People Kill Record Mako for no Reason

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...00-lb-mako-shark-caught.sharkfootage-com.html

So people's reaction to finding an enormous shark is to kill it and gain publicity? What if I told you that sharks are essential to the oceans and the oceans allow us to live? Would you still being killing sharks then? Or what if I told you over 10 million sharks are killed by people for every shark related death? People just are so stupid sometimes and have no right to be on this plant.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Keep your eyes open for an old Sci FI book. I can't remember title or author. Maybe Asimov. It fielded the theory humans are actually a virus. Made a very good case for it too on many levels.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Keep your eyes open for an old Sci FI book. I can't remember title or author. Maybe Asimov. It fielded the theory humans are actually a virus. Made a very good case for it too on many levels.
That sounds interesting but I usually don't read books unless I have to for school, or they involve animals I like. I do however think that humans are the worst thing to happen to this planet.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i hate humanity. We should be eradicated (looks down, realizes what I am, shudders, screams, and ends this post ominously)

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
i hate humanity. We should be eradicated (looks down, realizes what I am, shudders, screams, and ends this post ominously)
I don't think ALL people should die, that would be very evil. I do however think that some people need to learn respect for nature and try hard not to destroy the wonderful things on this earth. If they can't keep their home home clean, they don't deserve to live in that house.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Very sad. Sharks have been my favorite animals since before I can recall. Things like that make me sick.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Very sad. Sharks have been my favorite animals since before I can recall. Things like that make me sick.
I too have loved sharks since the beginning and I think that sharks are one of the most amazing kinds of animals because of how they vary in size, how old they are, and how they adapted to living in specific parts of the ocean. For example, the Megalodon was at least 2 times the size of the Great White, and the Cookie Cutter shark is no bigger than your hand. Sharks live all over the oceans too, even in the abyss where there is no sunlight.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
i would keep a smaller mako, but not a huge one like this..

if only all fishermen were responsible..

crap like this really gives us responsible anglers a very poor image... :(

i enjoy shark, and will continue to enjoy it RESPONSIBLY.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I saw that too. I think that guy should be shot on site, or hunted down like the animal he is, he sounds like one of those backwater good ole' boys too. Just because you can kill something, doesn't mean you should.

Go swim in the ocean, and take out the mako by yourself, then I'll be amazed. Wearing it down on a line, oh takes a real man to do that.

I hope those guys die a very, very long slow painful death of cancer. Every time you kill a shark, you kill a potential cure for cancer. Sharks don't get cancer. If scientists could understand their cellular mechanisms it MIGHT just help people, dumbasses.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I hope those guys die a very, very long slow painful death of cancer. Every time you kill a shark, you kill a potential cure for cancer. Sharks don't get cancer. If scientists could understand their cellular mechanisms it MIGHT just help people, dumbasses.
No one deserves that.

Also, "sharks don't get cancer" is a myth.
I've no doubt a significant number of sharks are killed by people because of this myth.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I saw that too. I think that guy should be shot on site, or hunted down like the animal he is, he sounds like one of those backwater good ole' boys too. Just because you can kill something, doesn't mean you should.

Go swim in the ocean, and take out the mako by yourself, then I'll be amazed. Wearing it down on a line, oh takes a real man to do that.

And you think wishing cancer on someone is any better?

Fishing for makos the traditional way is very brutal. They dont just pull on the line, they do giant spinning backflips out of the water, and if you're not careful, they'll yank you right off the boat and give you cavitation burns from dragging you at super-speed under the water.

I don't approve of people killing a giant fish, either, but when I hear people say things like "I wish they die a very very long slow painful death", it just makes them seem even worse...

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Humans are stupid we kill rhinos for no good money and we damage the environment. If we kill one thing we upset the ecosystem get that into your 13Watts machine in your heada.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Humans are stupid we kill rhinos for no good money and we damage the environment. If we kill one thing we upset the ecosystem get that into your 13Watts machine in your heada.
13 watts! 13 watts! Great Scott.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm turned off by this kind of thing too, I would hunt primarily for food, then I'd consider making a sport after the fact. If they stored shark meat, then I don't have a problem with this, maybe they did. At least use what you kill, that feels to be the proper thing to do to me. There are other animals that seem to kill for entertainment too, it's how it appears anyway. A lot of us have seen cats kill things, play with it, keep it alive just to play around with it while the thing they are messing around with is tortured to death, probably clueless about death as animals escape death through instinct and fear. But I think that is the difference, we have a better idea of what death is, other animals don't appear to understand that so in that sense I see how many think we should know better. I also saw a vid of a killer whale playing around with a seal before killing it, as if it was seriously having fun doing it. Then it would flip it waaaaaay up in the air with it's tail, apparently just for fun, that was spooky, who knows what is going on in those brains. But again, I don't think death is comprehended when it comes to other animals. Instinct to survive, yeah. Is it our perception of death that's so bad, ...because nature doesn't care what dies and what doesn't. It doesn't care what goes extinct and what doesn't. Daahhh, when I look at the big pic, not that big a deal, ..astroides, earthquakes, whatever. Nature, whatever you want to call it has wiped out 1000s of sps, maybe millions, or billions, or trillions. Anyway, about the self-hate, who here is going to be the first to kill their self, any volunteers? You go first ..then I'll take you bug stuff.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I'm turned off by this kind of thing too, I would hunt primarily for food, then I'd consider making a sport after the fact. If they stored shark meat, then I don't have a problem with this, maybe they did. At least use what you kill, that feels to be the proper thing to do to me. There are other animals that seem to kill for entertainment too, it's how it appears anyway. A lot of us have seen cats kill things, play with it, keep it alive just to play around with it while the thing they are messing around with is tortured to death, probably clueless about death as animals escape death through instinct and fear. But I think that is the difference, we have a better idea of what death is, other animals don't appear to understand that so in that sense I see how many think we should know better. I also saw a vid of a killer whale playing around with a seal before killing it, as if it was seriously having fun doing it. Then it would flip it waaaaaay up in the air with it's tail, apparently just for fun, that was spooky, who knows what is going on in those brains. But again, I don't think death is comprehended when it comes to other animals. Instinct to survive, yeah. Is it our perception of death that's so bad, ...because nature doesn't care what dies and what doesn't. It doesn't care what goes extinct and what doesn't. Daahhh, when I look at the big pic, not that big a deal, ..astroides, earthquakes, whatever. Nature, whatever you want to call it has wiped out 1000s of sps, maybe millions, or billions, or trillions. Anyway, about the self-hate, who here is going to be the first to kill their self, any volunteers? You go first ..then I'll take you bug stuff.
THose are all good points. I too don't mind if you eat what you kill, or find a use. However, when you kill things for fun or hunt in unsustainable ways, as in the fishing industry, I am going to oppose your actions.

Also, I just read from the link that friendttyy put up that it was a female. That means less sharks are going to be born, hurting the population. I should point out that killing female sharks, lobsters, crabs, etc. is something I don't think is right.

Last edited:

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
And you think wishing cancer on someone is any better?
I don't approve of people killing a giant fish, either, but when I hear people say things like "I wish they die a very very long slow painful death", it just makes them seem even worse...
Agreed.

The people that kill these innocent sharks are just poorly developed humanoids.

---------- Post added 06-06-2013 at 05:14 PM ----------

I too don't mind if you eat what you kill.
Hmmm, I don't like that. We have more than enough food at the grocery store.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Geesh, but the PETA-Heads "We Hate All Humans and Humans Should Be Eradicated Except for US of Course" folks are out in force. Makos are not a protected species, and game fishing is monitored as is LEGAL hunting of big game land animals. This is pure AR mentality, that humans are a blight upon the earth and should be eliminated, that the life of an ant is worth more than the life of a human-"a rat is a dog is a pig is a boy". Now WHERE have we heard that?
California actually carefully monitors shark populations in its waters, and much of the research, leading to what we know about sharks, comes from animals like this, caught by game fishermen. Shark populations in So.Cal waters have actually been on the increase, due to the increase in sea lion populations, which are a major food of both Mako and Great White sharks. Trust me-if the Mako population in those waters was not stable, these fishermen would be dealing with CA's Fish and Game Dept in ways they never wanted to imagine!
And you know the old saying: Change begins with YOU. YOU set the example for what you want to change, so when you go saying things like "all humans should be eradicated", unless you're willing to take that first step to set that example, better be careful what you wish for. I have yet to see an AR activist start by eliminating themselves, though.

And Marc, seriously? "We have more than enough food at the grocery store?" Yeah...and enough growth hormones, antibiotics, and ingredients you probably cannot even pronounce, let alone be able to explain what they are actually ARE. When the grocery stores start giving it all away for free or when YOU are willing to pay for MY food, count me in. Until then, I will happily relish the flesh of deer, wild boars, fish, alligator, etc. that either I or people I know have killed. A bullet is cheaper than the cheapest pound of hamburger. I'm guessing you were raised in an urban environment, and most of the folks commenting here probably were. You don't raise your own food, you never HAD to hunt for your own food, you never depended on a freezer full of venison to actually sustain you and your family, and you think that meat just automatically comes prepackaged in those neat little styrofoam and plastic wrap containers because after all, that's how it looks in the grocery stores, right? I'm sure that if Wayne Pacelle or Ingrid Newkirk were reading some of the posts here, they'd be gleefully cheering you on while plotting to take away YOUR animals. After all, they'd rather see an animal dead than living in a world full of us horrible humans.

pitbulllady