People get really trigger happy over meaningless things

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
In both aquariums and terrariums, people freak out like startled monkeys when they see any tiny animal in the substrate of the tank, assuming it's a deadly parasite. This is bad, as people resort to dumping tons of chemicals in the tank. In reality, the majority of hitchhikers/unintentional tank mates in aquariums and terrariums are completely harmless and even good for the soil as they break down organic matter.

Why do people react like this?

truecreature

Arachnoknight
People don't always realize that something is harmless, so when they see an unknown pest show up they worry that it will have a negative effect on their animals or the hard work and money they put into their setup. I mean, I agree that taking action before doing any research or asking somebody is too hasty but some people just panic and want to fix it immediately.

When I was new to millipedes and first got grain mites in my tank I freaked out too because all I could think of was "mites = bad". Now of course I think past me was silly but it's not like it's not understandable.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
In my opinion it's because they don't want pests like mites/other small creatures to infect their collection.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Likely because the tarantula keepers guide, unfortunately labeled as the fool proof tarsntula keepers bible, clearly states that mites kill tarantulas sooner or later.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
Likely because the tarantula keepers guide, unfortunately labeled as the fool proof tarsntula keepers bible, clearly states that mites kill tarantulas sooner or later.
But mites are a very large group. To say all mites are tarantula parasites is like saying that all birds are flightless fish eaters. Most mites are harmless or beneficial. This is why people need to do research.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
True, but they are something I personally don't want in an enclosure. The only mites I can tolerate are ones in my millipedes or beetle breeding containers.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I once read a list of micro animals commonly found on clean healthy humans. It was enough to send the most jaded stoic to the shower with a wire brush and scouring powder.

Fact: The cleaner, more organism and parasite free the animal, the more susceptible it is to disease. Conversely, animals that live in the most filthy environments have a much more powerful immune system. This goes hand in hand with infection control at hospitals. Once you start undertaking sterilizing procedures and protocols, they must be rigidly maintained as the natural check and balance system has been impaired or defeated.

Or more to the point of this topic, the most effective defense nature provides against harmful mites are other species of mites.

All hail the denizens of the detritus layers. The sine quo non of life on this planet.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But mites are a very large group. To say all mites are tarantula parasites is like saying that all birds are flightless fish eaters. Most mites are harmless or beneficial. This is why people need to do research.
Yes. But 9 out of 10 people doesn't want to do that kind of research.

Mostly they want to get rid of those, and fast. If not 9, let's say a good 7/8 out of 10.

But in all honesty I don't blame those... seriously isn't too easy (like I.D a Theraphosidae) to proper I.D mites.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I once read a list of micro animals commonly found on clean healthy humans. It was enough to send the most jaded stoic to the shower with a wire brush and scouring powder.

Fact: The cleaner, more organism and parasite free the animal, the more susceptible it is to disease. Conversely, animals that live in the most filthy environments have a much more powerful immune system.
Many wild reptiles and amphibians die due to parasites, yet their "cousins" who are captive born, typically live longer in captivity.

The Snark

Old Timer
Many wild animals die prematurely for a myriad of reasons while they almost universally live longer in captivity. And this means what?

keks

Arachnobaron
In both aquariums and terrariums, people freak out like startled monkeys when they see any tiny animal in the substrate of the tank, assuming it's a deadly parasite. This is bad, as people resort to dumping tons of chemicals in the tank. In reality, the majority of hitchhikers/unintentional tank mates in aquariums and terrariums are completely harmless and even good for the soil as they break down organic matter.

Why do people react like this?
The manhood is infinitely far away from nature, everything has to be "clean", there is no place for other living things except that they want to have. Chemicals are the humans best friends .... ;).
I had a seawater aquarium. And had contact to other people with this hobby. Mine was a natural one, only with a pump for the water flow, nothing else. I wanted that it has a natural balance. It worked good, and it still worked when my water pump broke and I had to buy a new one. That needs time .. I think about a day. The balance was a natural one.
Other people had a "clean" one, with tons of technics and chemicals to let the aquarium work. When their technics broke, the aquarium was destroid between hours. There where no natural balance in it and it collapsed very fast. But they didn't learn. They started new with the same mistakes. Because it is "necessary to have tons of technics in it". Ok. And why does my one work good? That is only luck :bucktooth:. No sense for nature.

People are eating tons of medications to avoid pain. Instead of thinking about their nutrition. I had awful pain in the last years, couldn't move at all and ate tons of medicals with no improvement. Asking the docs about changing food they said: No need, it has no effect to your illness.
HA! What a stupid meaning. I finally changed my nutrition because I hate to eat medicals (for nothing). Now I don't need any medicals. I still have pain, but it is tolerable, they are the results of inflammations of the last 8 years :banghead:. Maybe they become better with the next eight years ^^.

The Snark

Old Timer
Asking the docs about changing food they said: No need, it has no effect to your illness.
While off the subject, I have encountered this so many times I've lost count. Of the seven years of med school, less than 2 weeks is centered on nutrition. As a physician friend who was real, an organics gardener in his spare time, told me, 'Proper nutrition is what's right with you. Doctors fix what's wrong with you. Polar opposites.'

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
It's just something you don't want. If you go from a nice, clean collection to having mites it's frustrating.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
It's just something you don't want. If you go from a nice, clean collection to having mites it's frustrating.
Just something you don't want? Why? Why is it frustrating? If the mites are harmless, I see no problem. In fact, they maintain the health of the soil by breaking down poop and leftovers.

keks

Arachnobaron
I had such mites in my enclosures in my "1st t-life". I never had any problems.
As I found this mites the first time, I was scared too. But as I knew they are harmless, I left them be. They kept the enclosures clean like springtails.

CladeArthropoda

Arachnoknight
I had such mites in my enclosures in my "1st t-life". I never had any problems.
As I found this mites the first time, I was scared too. But as I knew they are harmless, I left them be. They kept the enclosures clean like springtails.
Yeah, that what I'm talking about.