People calling tarantulas their children/babies. Why?

I have a friend who does this with their cat. I think it is just human nature to personify animals that are in ones care, and looking after animals is much like looking after a child/baby only less socially complex

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I call mine "my babies" as a shorthand to differentiate them from my cats. Like I'll say, "I need to feed the babies tonight" or "I checked on the babies to make sure they have water since it's been so dry" and my bf knows what I'm talking about. My cats I generally refer to as "cats" or "kitties" or something similar. I try not to anthropomorphize, but it's difficult sometimes. I just feel a little maternal since I take care of them and they depend on me. I don't consider them a replacement for children... I think that is bordering on a psychological issue. But I still love them!

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Mine are absolutely my babies because I already call my cat my baby. This is kind of dorky but I always say goodbye to them when I go out and greet them when I return, and it's a lot easier to say "Hi babies!" than to list off all the names.

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I call mine my babies on occasion, yes. Actually I have various pet names for my spiders, my snake and my cat. Usually the first thing i do when I come home after a long day is to walk up to the tarantula shelf and say stuff like "how are my babies doing?? Did ya miss me?" I never thought this was exceptionally weird, at least it isnt much weirder than what I ramble on about for the rest of the day.
I don't think it has anything to do with anthropomorphizing your animals, it's just human nature to establish a connection with something that's in one's care. Maybe it's just a way to express my appreciation for those creatures that I'm still treating correctly and respectfully, no matter what i call them.

Oh and my mother (who hates my spiders with a burning passion) recently asked "how my gross disgusting babies are doing". so. I'm afraid the baby thing is contageous and arachnophobes are not immune.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I may occasionally call them by babies but at least I dont let my tarantulas French kiss me like some dog owners. :rofl::vomit:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I don't call animals babies, I always found it a little weird, but I do have to name them to refer to them individually. Also naming them seems to make them more 'alive' I guess, rather than a rock.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your guess is as good as mine? I love my tarantulas and i see them as dear pets!

basin79

ArachnoGod
I couldn't care less what owners care their pets so long as they're treated properly and accordingly.

Good
"I have 6 tarantula children and I love them very much".

Bad
"I have 6 tarantula children and bath them every night before brushing their fangs and tucking them into bed".

Phia

Arachnopeon
I think different people feel joy about these animals in different ways. I’ve been surprised to find with how little emotion lots of people treat their T. Some people treat action figures with more love lol

As a maternal creature I’m tempted to call any ‘Dependent’ thing that I’m sinking my time into my ‘baby’, even if only in jest. Lol! Some people call their cars their babies, their Pokemon, and their homesteads! At least tarantulas are living!

Minty

@londontarantulas
The answer is that people have a tendency to anthropomorphise things.

Johjie

Arachnopeon
Yeah, it’s not the greatest thing in the world. Still, I’ll take people referring to my tarantulas as “my babies” over people insisting I name my t’s...
This exactly, why do people do this? My supervisor is obsessed with me naming them all and wants to help me name them. :banghead:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
My kitties are my babies. I never felt any desire for human offspring.

Now I do sometimes also call the slings that I’ve bred “my babies, although in a different sense than I do my cats, just that I feel I had a hand in bringing them into the world.

And why not? I’m all for people caring more about the many wonderful creatures we share the planet with! :)

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
And why not? I’m all for people caring more about the many wonderful creatures we share the planet with! :)
This is what I came to say, and I agree 100%.

As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, I'm ok with people doing whatever they like. Each to their own and all that. :)

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
I don't see any harm in it. To me, it's just like calling them a family member because that's what pets are, even if it is an arachnid. I don't like someone actually portraying human emotions on animals that don't have those emotions but just loving them like a family member rather than some collectable like some people do is really sweet. Personally, I don't call my pets my children but I do see them as a part of the family and I love them as so.

SavageCritter

Arachnopeon
Meh, we're touchy-feely social mammals who will anthropomorphize two dots and a line drawn on a piece of paper that crudely resemble a human face. Obviously, if people project their own emotions and social needs onto arachnids in a way that interferes with the species' husbandry requirements, that's a problem. But otherwise I'm content to call my critters "darling!" and blow them air kisses like the soppy mammal I am :p

They may not care, but I get something on my end from caring in my silly human way.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is kind of dorky but I always say goodbye to them when I go out and greet them when I return,
Is it dorky? I thought it was just being polite! I always say goodbye to my animals before I leave, tell them how wonderful they are and how much I love rhem, and usually also include a statement about where I'm going. You know, so in case I don't come back they can tell the authorities where to look for me :troll:

I don't call animals babies, I always found it a little weird, but I do have to name them to refer to them individually. Also naming them seems to make them more 'alive' I guess, rather than a rock.
I name everything, including inanimate objects. Most recently, a vehicle named Cloud, rabbits named Sierra and Gustave, and a chicken named Ellis :rofl:

like the soppy mammal I am :p
"I do love my Orange Bobs!" said the soppy mammal.

I call it "AB Dialect" :rofl:

Arterion86

Arachnopeon
I couldn't care less what owners care their pets so long as they're treated properly and accordingly.

Good
"I have 6 tarantula children and I love them very much".

Bad
"I have 6 tarantula children and bath them every night before brushing their fangs and tucking them into bed".
Haha I got a good chuckle from this!

OP - if you don’t like it, don’t do it. It’s probably not something to care about in other people.