People calling tarantulas their children/babies. Why?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I completely agree with you. Those people are a bit bizarre and weird, if you ask me. For instance, I will never place my spiders before/in front of my lovely family because:

1) I'm a wise father-husband :pompous:

2) My wife and two childrens (a boy and a girl, obviously) are made of wood, cork bark, exactly, so I need to avoid conflicting interests.

:)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yep. A perfect 'happy family' just like those U.S commercial of the 50s :pompous:

Have you ever heard about 'rage issues' or, dunno, mother-in-laws rants, or whatever 'family' problems when it comes to a wood made wife?

You simply return home, after a God damn it day of work, and you can enjoy your earned cool beer in peace, while the happy-wood made wife keep smiling :bored:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Many people tend to anthropomorphize animals, especially pets. They do this to feel a deeper connection, to get over their fear of them, etc. Others just like calling them their ‘kids’ out of jest

I’m personally not one for it.

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
We all love tarantula's here but come on
This goes hand in hand with people calling their dog or cat their “children”. My cousin likes to treat her dog like the child she never had, and goes as far as to compare her dog to my child. If it heals her psychological regrets for never having kids, more power to her. Not my circus, man.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Yep. A perfect 'happy family' just like those U.S commercial of the 50s :pompous:

Have you ever heard about 'rage issues' or, dunno, mother-in-laws rants, or whatever 'family' problems when it comes to a wood made wife?

You simply return home, after a God damn it day of work, and you can enjoy your earned cool beer in peace, while the happy-wood made wife keep smiling :bored:
I know a lot of American sayings but "wooden familly" is a new one. Thanks haha

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Yeah, it’s not the greatest thing in the world. Still, I’ll take people referring to my tarantulas as “my babies” over people insisting I name my t’s...

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Because you're basically a parent to any pet you own. You are 100% responsible for their care and well-being.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Because you're basically a parent to any pet you own. You are 100% responsible for their care and well-being.
While I understand the reasons for comparison I mildly disagree with your definition of parenting. A parent is responsible for his/her child completely until it is 18/21. You raise a child so that it will be self sufficient by that age if everything goes well.

I will remain a keeper for my animals until the rest of either their lives or my life, and they will remain 100% dependent on me during that time.

Unless you expect me to chuck out my Pokie when she reaches maturity? :p

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know a lot of American sayings but "wooden familly" is a new one. Thanks haha
I don't know if 'wooden family' is an 'American saying'. That's my best translate for Italian 'famiglia di legno' (which in my crappy English is 'wooden family').

I was talking, basically, into having/creating a wood made wife, and childrens (instead of having a real, troublesome and noisy, one): sorta 'Pinocchio', in sum.

Ah, the talking cricket... you say?

Among the feeders, obviously :pompous:

Luka98

Arachnosquire
While I understand the reasons for comparison I mildly disagree with your definition of parenting. A parent is responsible for his/her child completely until it is 18/21. You raise a child so that it will be self sufficient by that age if everything goes well.

I will remain a keeper for my animals until the rest of either their lives or my life, and they will remain 100% dependent on me during that time.

Unless you expect me to chuck out my Pokie when she reaches maturity? :p
This. It has also been mentioned that people do it to fill the void of not having a child but that's just even more counterprpductive to having a kid!
"Oh you're a father?"
"Well i consider myself a dad to my 50 tarantulas"
"Sir please leave me alone"

SDCustom78

Arachnopeon
Many people tend to anthropomorphize animals, especially pets. They do this to feel a deeper connection, to get over their fear of them, etc. Others just like calling them their ‘kids’ out of jest

I’m personally not one for it.
Agree 100%. "Look at my T doing the "happy dance".

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Agree 100%. "Look at my T doing the "happy dance".
Okay but that's just easier to say to me - the average person than "Look at my theraphosida doing the motoric operation of laying down silk upon their prey to preserve it and ward off vulture species"

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
This goes hand in hand with people calling their dog or cat their “children”. My cousin likes to treat her dog like the child she never had, and goes as far as to compare her dog to my child. If it heals her psychological regrets for never having kids, more power to her. Not my circus, man.
I do agree with this but people need to still realize that animals are just not human. I say this bc my aunt lost her son, he drowned when he was 14. She seriously had a lady say I know how u feel......I lost my dog. It really really hurt her.
I do understand loving your animals but they simply are not human.