Pelinobius muticus dilemma.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
So I dove into the tarantula hobby at last, ordered one Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama' among other, non tarantula things, and I got a freebie. Which is lovely and I was super excited about! Until I realised that is was a Pelinobius muticus and I am... kinda nervous about keeping an agressive tarantula. Especially since it's among my first.

I have animals that I am deathly protective of, aka hamsters, and I don't want a big aggressive tarantula on my hands at some point, even if now they're just a sling. Plus I am not experienced and it's not fair on the baboon if I fail to look after it properly. I did my research on the Theraphosinae, not the muticus. :sorry:

I do have a local exotics shop that I could ask if they want it. Does anyone in the UK want a free Pelinobius muticus if that goes bottoms up? I feel awful for trying to give away a freebie but I want it to go to a good home where the owner isn't a paranoid mess. :(

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So I dove into the tarantula hobby at last, ordered one Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama' among other, non tarantula things, and I got a freebie. Which is lovely and I was super excited about! Until I realised that is was a Pelinobius muticus and I am... kinda nervous about keeping an agressive tarantula. Especially since it's among my first.

I have animals that I am deathly protective of, aka hamsters, and I don't want a big aggressive tarantula on my hands at some point, even if now they're just a sling. Plus I am not experienced and it's not fair on the baboon if I fail to look after it properly. I did my research on the Theraphosinae, not the muticus. :sorry:

I do have a local exotics shop that I could ask if they want it. Does anyone in the UK want a free Pelinobius muticus if that goes bottoms up? I feel awful for trying to give away a freebie but I want it to go to a good home where the owner isn't a paranoid mess. :(
I say keep It, as slings they aren't particularly hard to deal with. That comes with time and size.

They aren't very defensive when small, more skittish then anything. Provide enough substrate for it to burrow and feel secure, and you shouldn't have any issues. It is much more likely to flee down to its burrow then to escape it's enclosure. Anyhow, the decision is yours. If you want to give it away you should have no issues whatsoever.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
By the time it's "aggressive", you'll be a fairly seasoned keeper. These grow pretty slow.

Also, how big is it?

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Are there any other OW species that grow slowly enough for a newbie to get as a sling? Asking for a friend :troll:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I got one of these a while back as a freebie. I had been keeping other baboons for a while so it wasn't a big deal.

I'd take a 32oz delicup and fill it a bit of half full of substrate. Make a starter burrow to the bottom and put in a water dish. Drop the sling in and wait for it to get to work hollowing out a cave. Once it's done moving dirt to the top the cup with be 3/4 full and you'll have emptied out the water dish 100000 or so times. Then you're good. Mine stays in the cave (or one of the two tunnels if hungry) and is rarely out of the burrow. You just have to drop a little food in there and let it grow. By the time you need to rehouse you'll have a lot more experience and should be fine.

If you're really worried then I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
No. Most grow very quickly.
Good to know, thanks. This thread made me curious since I was expecting the replies to be urging the OP against keeping an OW as a first T, but I guess a P. muticus sling is an exception.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Good to know, thanks. This thread made me curious since I was expecting the replies to be urging the OP against keeping an OW as a first T, but I guess a P. muticus sling is an exception.
Well, to be honest. I don't know the growth rates of some Africans, like Monocentropus.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's sad to see such a lovely avatar picture refusing as a gift a potentially Goddess* :(

They aren't that defensive like you can imagine, they are like those fellas that looks slim but then if you watch closely they are fat, they are called here in Italy the 'fake slims', basically harmless weirdos, a 'bluff' :)

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

:troll:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
and I got a freebie. Which is lovely and I was super excited about! Until I realised that is was a Pelinobius muticus and I am... kinda nervous about keeping an agressive tarantula. Especially since it's among my first.
I ended up with a Chilobrachys huahini as a surprise freebie when I ordered my B. emilia and I honestly struggled with whether or not I should keep it as I'd only been in the hobby for 4 months at the time and felt that I was nowhere near ready to deal with OW species.

I just ended up doing a ton of research on the species and opted to keep it in a burrowing setup as I'd read that they will just retreat inside at the slightest disturbance whereas they can be a bit more scatty/defensive when in a heavy webbing setup, she's about 3.5" or so now and never given me any major problems.

I'd say keep it but if you're really not comfortable having it around then fire me a PM and we can sort something out as I'm in the UK.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
I'd say keep it but if you're really not comfortable having it around then fire me a PM and we can sort something out as I'm in the UK.
Wish I'd seen this sooner but I've been busy the last few days and never updated the situation, but I found an exotics shop that took it in. They had other slings and juvies in there, all in appropriate enclosures, so I'm hoping they'll be alright.

Also, how big is it?
The Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama' was 1cm, I'm assuming that it was more or less the same. I never opened the container and only saw a glimpse of it shifting through the paper padding, so I couldn't be sure, but it was definitely small.

It's sad to see such a lovely avatar picture refusing as a gift a potentially Goddess* :(

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)
A peasant like myself isn't fit to care for Her grace. :sorry:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are there any other OW species that grow slowly enough for a newbie to get as a sling? Asking for a friend :troll:
My Psednocnemis jeremyhuffi is growing super slow, which is what I've heard from others.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, A. ezendami...which is also one of the less defensive and best beginner OWs. They don't grow glacially slow, but it sure ain't fast.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Yes, A. ezendami...which is also one of the less defensive and best beginner OWs. They don't grow glacially slow, but it sure ain't fast.

You always have great suggestions. I’ll keep this in mind for when I actually consider getting a first OW. ;)