Pecan or oak wood safe?

GreyDog

Arachnopeon
i have mostly pecan and oak trees in my yard. There’s a very dead oak tree as well.

I was hoping to harvest some branches, leaves, and bark that falls off these species, is this safe for most bugs? I’m thinking about getting some broad keys roaches, death feigning beetles, and millipedes. I find the idea of insects that eat decaying wood very interesting.

I know I’ll need to freeze them or bake them, and there’s no risk of pesticide.

I just want to make sure I’m not missing something in my research, and get some ideas for things to grab when I go out (pecan nuts useful at all? Etc)

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No issues with either of those trees, I know that many keepers rely on oak leaves for substrate.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
You could also just rinse them with hot water in your shower and try to make sure that there are no pests. This would leave some micro organisms in the wood alive and that could be good for your enclosure (just a theory of mine. It hasn´t been disapproved by now, so I happily believe that there might be something to it.).
I did this with the wood I have for my millipedes and they seem to thrive and happily munch on it.

GreyDog

Arachnopeon
Thank you both!

I’m new to keeping bugs but have had fish and herps, so I’m kind of paranoid.