Peat Moss

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I had my 3 year old male scorpion die a few months ago. I have many other species of scorpions , but still like the emps best. I bought a pair of emps. this weekend to replace the one that died. Im not a newbie in any means , but also like to hear better advice. I hear alot of you talking about using peat moss. In the past I used plain soil and hate baking it to free the pests. Where do you get your peat moss and what do you do to it 1st? This will be my 1st attempt at housing 2 emps together so I wanna get it as close to perfect as I can ! Thanks !!!

mr crab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I rinse it out real well in a plastic folgers can with holes in the lid then microwave it for like 7 minutes to kill eggs and whatnot. It might not be the best way to do it but thats what i do.

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just be sure to buy 100% organic peat and use it right out of the bag. I've never had an issue of anything growing or hatching out of peat moss like you will have with soil.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just be sure to buy 100% organic peat and use it right out of the bag. I've never had an issue of anything growing or hatching out of peat moss like you will have with soil.

Same here.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
If you are in the US you can find huge bags of the stuff (1 cubic yard) for $5-6 USD in the garden section of any Home Depot or other home improvement store.

Peat is excellent to use as it has naturally hight acidity and resists mold growth very well. Plus a bag will last you a long time...even if you keep 50+ scorpions...they rarely put anything manmade in it too.

John
];')

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With any organic substrate I'd always recomend microwaving it before use, to be absolutely sure, plus it means you do not have to wait for the vivarium to heat up.