Peat moss help!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not super urgent, but I have a large order arriving tomorrow and I just set up their cages 4 hours ago. Only have peat moss right now.
So, does anyone know how to get this hydrophobic dust to absorb water a little faster?

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Haha, I know your pain, man. Mix some vermiculite in with it. That'll help the water percolate into the substrate more. I just about only use peat now, so I get where you're coming from!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Haha, I know your pain, man. Mix some vermiculite in with it. That'll help the water percolate into the substrate more. I just about only use peat now, so I get where you're coming from!
Ahhh, I don't have any on hand right now. I'll pick some up. Spiders are coming tomorrow morning, I'll just keep mxing it all together with water and hope for the best.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Second the vermiculite. I also mix with soil. Maybe you could try wetting a batch first then mix it with the rest.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd put a small amount in a bucket and use a wide spray on the hose while mixing it up (with my hand). Let it set 10 min or so and do it again. Add more as it gets wet. It's going to get messy when using just that stuff straight.

Once it starts taking water it soaks it up decent enough.

I'd recommend getting a cheap bag of top soil to mix with it if at all possible. Later once it's in the enclosure it'll get really dusty as it dries out and that will be messy too.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know... sometimes I use Irish moss peat and I have to say that said stuff absorb water pretty easy o_O