Peat cup for hide ??

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
Hi..
First i want to say sorry because my english is not very good because it is not my native language..
Today i go to D.I.Y shop and found this peat cup..
I know this cup is use for planting but because of its look more natural can i use it as hide for my tarantula ??
When i check at the website it say that they put some planting medium for growing plant.
20180302_210755.jpg

Attachments

Ant

Arachnopeon
I would say no. If they are the things I'm thinking of, they soak up water/moisture and I believe they are designed to eventually break down into the soil/earth. Not ideal for a hide.

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
I would say no. If they are the things I'm thinking of, they soak up water/moisture and I believe they are designed to eventually break down into the soil/earth. Not ideal for a hide.
Thanks..because in my country it is very hard to find cork bark and if you can find it..the price was very expensive..

JohnR

Arachnopeon
You may want to consider terra cotta pots to use as hide... I see pics from other hobbyists here uses them (some painted/coated them with dirt to make it look more natural) and that is readily available in your country and it's cheap...

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I would say...maybe?

Depends on the species and its care. For dry species it may not be an issue. For those with higher moisture requirements it may break down.

For example (using my collection) - I think it would be fine for my GBB. Dry substrate and heavy webbing will likely help the cup keep its integrity. T. stirmi - no way. She webs very little and the sub is moist. If it collapsed it probably wouldn't hurt her, but I don't think it would last.

Just my two cents.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
You may want to consider terra cotta pots to use as hide... I see pics from other hobbyists here uses them (some painted/coated them with dirt to make it look more natural) and that is readily available in your country and it's cheap...
Tarantula Canada warns on their website: "Terra-cotta pots should be used with caution as well, as the same thing can happen as with the rocks. There is also a hole at the bottom of the pot that the spider might try to crawl through it, get stuck and die (personal experience… again)." Valid concern, especially risk of a fall and the hardness of the pot.

I vote the OP tries the coco-fiber pot as long as it doesn't have any additional "grow-quick" type additives. Worst case it breaks down in a few months and you put in another one. They're probably cheap anyways. As long as its not directly soaked it may last for a while.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Tarantula Canada warns on their website: "Terra-cotta pots should be used with caution as well, as the same thing can happen as with the rocks. There is also a hole at the bottom of the pot that the spider might try to crawl through it, get stuck and die (personal experience… again)." Valid concern, especially risk of a fall and the hardness of the pot.
You break the pot or cut it in half and smooth down any sharp/rough edges with a wire brush/sandpaper/file, you then bury the hide (I do this with cork hides, see below) so that none of it is exposed for the tarantula to injure itself on in the event of a fall, if the enclosure is set up correctly (no more than 1.5x DLS between the substrate surface and the top of the enclosure) then there should be no fall risk anyway.

View media item 47488View media item 46683View media item 45257View media item 43485

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
Thanks...i will try

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
I would say...maybe?

Depends on the species and its care. For dry species it may not be an issue. For those with higher moisture requirements it may break down.

For example (using my collection) - I think it would be fine for my GBB. Dry substrate and heavy webbing will likely help the cup keep its integrity. T. stirmi - no way. She webs very little and the sub is moist. If it collapsed it probably wouldn't hurt her, but I don't think it would last.

Just my two cents.
Right now i only got 4 Ts...gbb..b.albo..g pulchripes and n.tripepii.. i think only tripepii need more moisture in its enclosure..

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon

I vote the OP tries the coco-fiber pot as long as it doesn't have any additional "grow-quick" type additives. Worst case it breaks down in a few months and you put in another one. They're probably cheap anyways. As long as its not directly soaked it may last for a while.
It cost 2usd for 6 cup..i think fairly cheap

BC1579

Arachnobaron
B. albo should like a little moisture. Maybe not as much as other Brachys, but some.

I’ll let someone else weigh in on that. My albo is about the size of my thumbnail so it gets moist substrate anyway.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. albo should like a little moisture. Maybe not as much as other Brachys, but some.
B. albopilosum and B. vagans like things a little more moist than other Brachypelma species which should be kept mostly dry.

I think that's what you were getting at but got a little mixed up.

@Tarmizi Zakaria the N. tripepii and B. albopilosum should be kept slightly moist, the others will be fine with dry substrate and a water dish.

Last edited:

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon

I’ll let someone else weigh in on that. My albo is about the size of my thumbnail so it gets moist substrate anyway.
Thank you :happy:

Tarmizi Zakaria

Arachnopeon
B. albopilosum and B. vagans like things a little more moist than other Brachypelma species which should be kept mostly dry.

I think that's what you were getting at but got a little mixed up.

@Tarmizi Zakaria the N. tripepii and B. albopilosum should be kept slightly moist, the others will be fine with dry substrate and a water dish.
Thank you :happy: