Peace and a Poecilotheria: Something i'd like to share.

Bailz

Arachnopeon
I gave up my spiders when i was 21, a link to a part of my childhood my father always encouraged (a respect for nature, an understanding of exotic creatures). He owned a market stall, that imported various delights, that, in the early 1980s were not subject to stringent customs control.

Thus several creatures would stowaway amongst the tropical fruit that was delivered: Wandering Spiders, which were swiftly caught and sent to a local centre, after great initial panic. All kinds of Lizards, including a Flying Gecko that took some hunting down.
I was allowed to keep the 'safe' animals, mainly interesting Insects of all sorts, Katydids and large, rainforest Cockroaches usually found themselves brought home in a jam-jar where i transferred them to a Pet Pal (Kricket Keeper) enclosure, and sought to learn about these mysterious creatures from overseas.

I wasn't ten years old, when one day, one of the stowaway spiders was, as the resident expert on the market told us ''was a good guy'', unlike the 'Banana Spider' that needed a call to management.
Thus, one day i came home from school greeted by a large plastic sweet jar containing an Aviculara of some sort, and i thought it was beautiful.

Thus began years of keeping various spiders, scorpions, stick insects, mantids and millipedes...I was 'the creature guy' at school, and all through infant and high school, no matter what changes were going on with and around me; my classmates always looked forward to 'bring your pet to school day' to see what curious little beast from across the globe came with me (species and enclosure allowing).

-----

Through college and university, dance music became my other, ''cool'' interest. So my collection diminished with time, while my record box grew.

Girlfriends, thankfully could be talked round...and the Salmon Pink i owned at university became a talking point when a housemate or guest would inevitably draw the words ''that's a spiiiider?''.

...and no matter what my tastes in fashion or music at the time, rooms i stayed in always had a designated ''invert area''.

I gave all my pets away at 21, i had to as i was diagnosed with Leukemia, and the potential of a spider bite. Especially from a Pokie like the one i had just bought months prior...with a compromised immune system such as i had, the venom would have serious effects on my body.

And so, a hobby that was part of my childhood, was gathered up and given to the nearest exotic pet shop (run by a wonderful group of people to be fair)...while i underwent treatment...

Thankfully after many years i went into remission, my only pet once my immune system allowed, was a rescue Leopard Gecko who is still alive and well today (after being looked after by my parents for many lengthy periods). Easing myself back into work while i recovered, eventually i was able to get a job in the events industry. Lengthy periods of travel meant i could not in good faith keep any pets, as it was not fair to place another responsibilty on my aging parents....

....Last year i went into semi-retirement, my partner herself had just recovered from a illness, and i was fortunately able to take a step back and take a more relaxed role with work, no longer being away for weeks at a time.
---

As a late Christmas present, my partner bought me a P. Regalis sling, obviously looking over my shoulder when i'm online,or perhaps noticing my looking at the display spiders at the same exotic pet shop (now also Garden Centre) that took on my exiled spiders some 20 years ago.

I'm sat quiet tonight, enjoying a glass of Jura in my 'retreat', when i glanced into my P. Regalis enclosure and see him or her moulting in a web hammock, and it brought me back in an instant, to what i gave up when i was ill, and what i left behind.

There are many good things thankfully in my life in the years since my illness subsided, and at 43 i have had quite some experiences, and somehow managed to earn a comfortable quality of life...But seeing the spider there, pulsing as it sheds it's old skin, it brought a sudden sense of peace to me which i never knew i was looking for.

Something i lost a long time ago, taken away by illness. I've found again, and i am at peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I gave up my spiders when i was 21, a link to a part of my childhood my father always encouraged (a respect for nature, an understanding of exotic creatures). He owned a market stall, that imported various delights, that, in the early 1980s were not subject to stringent customs control.

Thus several creatures would stowaway amongst the tropical fruit that was delivered: Wandering Spiders, which were swiftly caught and sent to a local centre, after great initial panic. All kinds of Lizards, including a Flying Gecko that took some hunting down.
I was allowed to keep the 'safe' animals, mainly interesting Insects of all sorts, Katydids and large, rainforest Cockroaches usually found themselves brought home in a jam-jar where i transferred them to a Pet Pal (Kricket Keeper) enclosure, and sought to learn about these mysterious creatures from overseas.

I wasn't ten years old, when one day, one of the stowaway spiders was, as the resident expert on the market told us ''was a good guy'', unlike the 'Banana Spider' that needed a call to management.
Thus, one day i came home from school greeted by a large plastic sweet jar containing an Aviculara of some sort, and i thought it was beautiful.

Thus began years of keeping various spiders, scorpions, stick insects, mantids and millipedes...I was 'the creature guy' at school, and all through infant and high school, no matter what changes were going on with and around me; my classmates always looked forward to 'bring your pet to school day' to see what curious little beast from across the globe came with me (species and enclosure allowing).

-----
Awesome story. Just noticed your still typing. :)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I have several chronic illnesses, one of my primary ones being very close to mainstream Lupus, so this resonates with me deeply. I even had to get chaemotherapy for it for a year in my late teens.

Bailz

Arachnopeon
I have several chronic illnesses, one of my primary ones being very close to mainstream Lupus, so this resonates with me deeply. I even had to get chaemotherapy for it for a year in my late teens.
I wish you all the best, and hope you are as well as can be!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What a beautiful story :happy: I'm so happy for you that things are positive in your life right now... I hope the peace continues!

(I also have chronic illnesses and have had to give up pets in the past when my health was too unstable... You never forget those animals.)

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
This was a lovely read, thank you for sharing your story. So glad you were able to get back into the hobby. :embarrassed:

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
Is someone kicking hairs in here? Because my eyes are watering...

What a beautiful and touching story. I'm so glad you were able to get back into the hobby, and the anecdote about the familiar movements of the tarantula in molt is wonderful.

Hope to read more of your writing. It's great!