Particular little A. chalcodes

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She looks fine. She’s just not in hunting mode. My G. pulchripes scrunches up in her log like that too. Definitely could be that it’s winter now and she’s conserving energy.

Beautiful spider by the way :snaphappy:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Pictures of the full enclosure would help diagnose any husbandry errors, but it looks like you might not have enough substrate. You want to make sure that the distance from the ceiling to the top of the substrate is no greater than 1.5x DLS. This helps prevent fall injuries from when she inevitably (even if invisibly) climbs.

It also looks like that half log is open on both ends. That's not desirable, either, as she really needs something with only one opening to feel secure. You can fix that without changing out the log by simply angling it, but a better solution might be to replace it with something else. The log will mold pretty easily. The mold shouldn't be an issue for your spider, but it will be very unsightly.

I'm on my phone so I can't really get a good view of the type of substrate you're using. What is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Are you using heat mats or lights? Are you measuring temperature or humidity? If so, don't. Lights and mats can cook your tarantula, and measuring temperature and humidity will only stress you out unnecessarily. If you're comfortable in a T-shirt, then the ambient temperatures are fine.

I apologize if any of this was already known to you. Just trying to help you and your spider out. :)

Edit: just saw that most of the substrate issues have already been addressed, so you can disregard my first paragraph. My bad! This is what happens when I split my attention between this and an attention-loving cat.

I did also want to add that you want to make sure to tamp down the substrate, as tarantulas in general really dislike a loose floor.
Well I know that having the log open on both ends isn't too great but she actually bulldozed it out that way herself so I thought I ought to keep it that way. It's a ceramic log actually so I don't think mould will be an issue with it?

The substrate is a 50/50 mix of coconut fibre and regular no-frills potting soil. It's pretty packed down now although I am working on getting the chunkier pieces out.

Coincidentally she's acting more "normal" now, it's like she knew I made a whole fuss over her behaviour and decided to shape up!

She looks fine. She’s just not in hunting mode. My G. pulchripes scrunches up in her log like that too. Definitely could be that it’s winter now and she’s conserving energy.

Beautiful spider by the way :snaphappy:
Yeah I was thinking she's possibly just starting to go into "hibernation" (I know technically that's not what they do but is there a better word for it?) The stress posing just always freaks me out! And thank you very much, I'm quite fond of her. :)

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Well I know that having the log open on both ends isn't too great but she actually bulldozed it out that way herself so I thought I ought to keep it that way. It's a ceramic log actually so I don't think mould will be an issue with it?

The substrate is a 50/50 mix of coconut fibre and regular no-frills potting soil. It's pretty packed down now although I am working on getting the chunkier pieces out.

Coincidentally she's acting more "normal" now, it's like she knew I made a whole fuss over her behaviour and decided to shape up!

Yeah I was thinking she's possibly just starting to go into "hibernation" (I know technically that's not what they do but is there a better word for it?) The stress posing just always freaks me out! And thank you very much, I'm quite fond of her. :)
If she's blocked off an end of the log, then you should be fine keeping it. They seem to not always realize when they can landscape to that extent, which is why I mentioned it. And you're right, a ceramic log is *much* less likely to have major mold issues. That thing really doesn't look ceramic. Impressive. Your hide seems fine, then.

The substrate appears a little woody on my phone, hence the question, but that mix of materials is perfectly fine. I use a similar mixture for my AF A. chalcodes, and have had no issues.