Particular little A. chalcodes

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
So this morning my first T was delivered, a female A. chalcodes (her leg span should be about 3.5") and already my paranoia is getting to me about her. I know that I need to deepen her substrate, that much is clear (she also didn't like it at first, spent about an hour on the walls before she came down) but now I just want to be sure everything will be alright after I do that. She's been standing on top of her hide for a good 40 minutes now moving all of her right legs up and down, as well as her chelicerae. I'm pretty sure she's just grooming but like I said, paranoia!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Post some photos of her and her enclosure.

How much space was/is there between the substrate and lid? I'd be worried about a fall if she was climbing the walls.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
That's exactly why I'm going to put more in. I for some reason really wasn't anticipating her climbing the walls and the second she did I was like oh boy we need more substrate, don't we. And I will get some photos soon.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How wet is your substrate? A. chalcodes is a desert species and does not like substrate that is too moist. When things are a little damp for their liking, they tend to climb the walls or perch on top of hides and cage decor. They also prefer substrate (like good, old-fashioned dirt) that will hold up to burrowing.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Mind the amateurish photos, but here's what I have right now. She's in a KK style enclosure. (not the best but it's not permanent) I know that I need more substrate I'm just hesitant to move her to add it. She didn't fall moreso she "aborted mission" and sideways propelled to the floor, maybe about an inch and a half? She's been perched on top of that pot for well over an hour now, occasionally moving her legs but otherwise staying still.

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You'll want to ditch the pot, since it has a bottom that she cannot burrow through. Any hide provided should be a burrow entrance that they can excavate from.

That sub height doesn't look terrible... the general rule is no more than 1.5-2x the DLS of the T.

For this species, *not* moving is quite normal. Lots of wandering/climbing is a sign she isn't pleased.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I also have a female A. chacoldes (a bit smaller than your girl) and she was acting just like yours (maybe there related?). Not only that, but she also wouldn't eat. Everything changed recently when I rehoused her to a smaller enclosure. She now seems more happy, made a nice little burrow underneath her hide and last night I finally witness her feeding on a cricket.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You need to ditch the hide for something that she can burrow underneath (people generally use cork slabs or plant pots that have been cut in half and had the base removed).

Substrate depth isn't bad, you probably only need to add a couple of inches (the gap between the top of the sub and the top of the enclosure shouldn't exceed 5.25" in your case), make sure you pack it down nice and tight too as they don't like loose sub that much.

The wandering/climbing/staying on top of the hide will be due to two factors. Firstly, you only housed it this morning, it can take them a while to settle into a new enclosure and, secondly, the sub needs to dry out, arid species can be a bit funny about walking on wet/loose sub.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Thank you guys! I'm currently drying out some substrate for her, and I went and purchased a new open-ended hide that I'll be putting in.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
She's been perched on top of that pot for well over an hour now...
Get used to this. Once they settle, they won't really move a ton. My AF A. chalcodes will sit in the same spot for days. Even with a proper setup, she'll spend some time atop her hide, too, so that in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's if she *only* is still and motionless atop the hide that something is likely wrong.

I love this beautiful species! You're in for a treat.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I dried her substrate out and she's at least not trying to mount the walls anymore, however she is just sitting with all of her knees bunched up over her carapace and I'm trying to figure out if she's just stressed from the big change in environment or if it's something else.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She is just stressed... let her alone for a few days to settle in again :)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I dried her substrate out and she's at least not trying to mount the walls anymore, however she is just sitting with all of her knees bunched up over her carapace and I'm trying to figure out if she's just stressed from the big change in environment or if it's something else.
yeah that's classic T stressed behavior, just a day or two she'll be back to doing T things, like: nothing, drinking water, eating, and dancing on the occasion.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
yeah that's classic T stressed behavior, just a day or two she'll be back to doing T things, like: nothing, drinking water, eating, and dancing on the occasion.
She's taken to her hide now, legs all spread out, no hiked up knees for a few hours!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Alright she's being particular again! She's usually out in the open or at the front entrance of her hide but for about a week now she's been in the very back of her hide (she's dug a bit into it but hasn't burrowed) in a stress pose. She's only come out once or twice this week and since this is such a stark change to how she's been acting it's worrying me. The only thing that has changed is she's being fed less as per everyone's advice on here. I wouldn't be so concerned about it if she weren't stress posing so much.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She might just be hunkered down for winter. More pics might be helpful

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
She might just be hunkered down for winter. More pics might be helpful
I always forget to add photos, sorry! These aren't the best but I'm working with an iPhone 5. Don't mind the stuff in the background, it's just what her enclosure backs up to. She's mostly been like this all week, poking out of the back of the hide, legs scrunched up.

Attachments

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
I always forget to add photos, sorry! These aren't the best but I'm working with an iPhone 5. Don't mind the stuff in the background, it's just what her enclosure backs up to. She's mostly been like this all week, poking out of the back of the hide, legs scrunched up.
Pictures of the full enclosure would help diagnose any husbandry errors, but it looks like you might not have enough substrate. You want to make sure that the distance from the ceiling to the top of the substrate is no greater than 1.5x DLS. This helps prevent fall injuries from when she inevitably (even if invisibly) climbs.

It also looks like that half log is open on both ends. That's not desirable, either, as she really needs something with only one opening to feel secure. You can fix that without changing out the log by simply angling it, but a better solution might be to replace it with something else. The log will mold pretty easily. The mold shouldn't be an issue for your spider, but it will be very unsightly.

I'm on my phone so I can't really get a good view of the type of substrate you're using. What is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Are you using heat mats or lights? Are you measuring temperature or humidity? If so, don't. Lights and mats can cook your tarantula, and measuring temperature and humidity will only stress you out unnecessarily. If you're comfortable in a T-shirt, then the ambient temperatures are fine.

I apologize if any of this was already known to you. Just trying to help you and your spider out. :)

Edit: just saw that most of the substrate issues have already been addressed, so you can disregard my first paragraph. My bad! This is what happens when I split my attention between this and an attention-loving cat.

I did also want to add that you want to make sure to tamp down the substrate, as tarantulas in general really dislike a loose floor.

Last edited: