parasites with isopods?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
i checked my millipedes tonight and found some kind lf parasite. checked my isopods because they received the same leaf litter and found the same parasites. could this be harmful for my colonies? what should i do? i planned on adding a bunch of these isopods in with my scorpions and Ts, could this parasite be harmful to them as well?? thank you ahead of time

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Those look like nematodes. Not sure about anything else, but they're darn near a death sentence to tarantulas.

You may need to do away with that isopod colony entirely. They're very difficult to get rid of without a substrate change, which isn't much of an option for tiny inverts.

EDIT: If your tarantulas have already been exposed, don't freak out. A quick salt water bath takes care of them. PM me if you want more info on this.

Last edited:

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Those look like nematodes. Not sure about anything else, but they're darn near a death sentence to tarantulas.

You may need to do away with that isopod colony entirely. They're very difficult to get rid of without a substrate change, which isn't much of an option for tiny inverts.

EDIT: If your tarantulas have already been exposed, don't freak out. A quick salt water bath takes care of them. PM me if you want more info on this.
thats what i was afraid of my other verts havnt been exposed luckily. i had all my isopods in a seperate container to establish a large colony first. thats really disapointing i love these little isopods

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
i did some reasearch and looked at some pictures and these do not appear to be nematoads but some kind of worm that usually ends up in fish tanks. from what i read nematoads arent visible with out magnification. unless someone has more information, im extremly releived.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It depends on the species of nematode you have, the majority of nematodes are microscopic, and a lot of them are beneficial. Actually most T enclosures probably already have nematodes of some sort. Not all nematodes are parasitic but a lot are. Soil nematodes are not usually dangerous.