Paralyzed Tarantula Found, How do I feed it? Please help!

Kade135

Arachnopeon
So this couple was walking down a trail and found a Baby Tarantula being stung by a Tarantula hawk and they shooed away the Hawk and took the Tarantula home with them. They then called me and asked if I could take the Tarantula and nurse him back to health. I live in Southern California, not sure if anyone else is seeing those small black Tarantulas around but that's what he is. I own over 40 Tarantulas and Scorpions but I've never dealt with this situation. I know I'll hear some people say "Let Nature take its course" with the whole "Taking away the Tarantula Hawks food" but I feel bad and I don't have a choice but to nurse the T now. I know how to give him water droplets, but his abdomen is REAL small, I have a feeling he needs food but how? Do I crush a mealworm/cricket for its juices and then put it in his mouth? He really looks like he needs food, but he obviously cannot eat. Any ideas on how I can possibly give him food? And any ideas on his recovery rate? He was stung 12 days ago according to the lady that gave me him.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Give him time to recover from the venom if he does at all then try feeding then? or make him a watery bug soup and see if you can put a bit on his mouth?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So this couple was walking down a trail and found a Baby Tarantula being stung by a Tarantula hawk and they shooed away the Hawk and took the Tarantula home with them. They then called me and asked if I could take the Tarantula and nurse him back to health. I live in Southern California, not sure if anyone else is seeing those small black Tarantulas around but that's what he is. I own over 40 Tarantulas and Scorpions but I've never dealt with this situation. I know I'll hear some people say "Let Nature take its course" with the whole "Taking away the Tarantula Hawks food" but I feel bad and I don't have a choice but to nurse the T now. I know how to give him water droplets, but his abdomen is REAL small, I have a feeling he needs food but how? Do I crush a mealworm/cricket for its juices and then put it in his mouth? He really looks like he needs food, but he obviously cannot eat. Any ideas on how I can possibly give him food? And any ideas on his recovery rate? He was stung 12 days ago according to the lady that gave me him.
I doubt anything can be done, from what I've heard the tarantula hawk's venom is powerful enough to completely paralyze the spider for months.

In this case the wasp didn't manage to bury it's prey and lay it's eggs so maybe if you wait until the venom wears off you have a chance at saving it. I wouldn't count on that though...

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Only thing that will happen now is it'll go find another tarantula...You didn't really help

Deb60

Arachnosquire
But st
Only thing that will happen now is it'll go find another tarantula...You didn't really help[/At least he tried to help this T , but yes as you say it will find another T . I try and help it as well if it was me . Good luck with this little one , let us know how he gets on ?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had an AF pokie sent to me in the mail once and when I opened the vial I saw she was literally clinging to life. She would have the shakes often, like seizures - tho I can't say for sure they really were seizures. So I made an icu and put her on her back so I could easily drip water into her mouth and feed her cricket soup. This lasted about a month until bugs began appearing on her fangs and mouth. Then I had to let her go for her own good and dignity. You can probably find the thread if you search "Mrshaas" and "p subfusca" - it has a lot of good info on how to take care of a T in a similar condition. Good luck! And send me a Convo if u can't find the thread and want more info!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I know it's easy to feel bad as a T owner. But you must keep in mind that our responsibilities regarding the health and condition of these animals stops when we enter the natural world. We strive to keep our captive Ts in good health. But the workings of nature are the result of millions of years of evolution. This mother nature knows what she's doing;)

It's great that you are caring for it. It shows lots of character. But don't beat yourself up too much if it doesn't survive.

Kade135

Arachnopeon
I had an AF pokie sent to me in the mail once and when I opened the vial I saw she was literally clinging to life. She would have the shakes often, like seizures - tho I can't say for sure they really were seizures. So I made an icu and put her on her back so I could easily drip water into her mouth and feed her cricket soup. This lasted about a month until bugs began appearing on her fangs and mouth. Then I had to let her go for her own good and dignity. You can probably find the thread if you search "Mrshaas" and "p subfusca" - it has a lot of good info on how to take care of a T in a similar condition. Good luck! And send me a Convo if u can't find the thread and want more info!
I appreciate it! Thank you! :)

Camman1983

Arachnosquire
I read something about Steve Nunn trying a similar thing back in 2001 I think the T gained some movement back over 3 months before it passed away.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Anyone here watched awakening this reminds me of that film.good luck i think you'll be needing it