Parahybana growing at much different rates

mgsmid

Arachnopeon
I have 4 lp from the same sac. They are all kept in the same room and have the same feeding schedule. But one of them is only about half the size of the other threeJust curious they all appear healthy. 20181113_111125.jpg 20181113_111122.jpg 20181113_111119.jpg 20181113_111203.jpg

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Gender is an influence on how fast tarantulas grow as well as the individual itself.

cold blood

Staff member
Gender is an influence on how fast tarantulas grow as well as the individual itself.
I disagree, although its a common belief....its more an individual thing than a gender thing.....i used to believe this, but my experiences are that fast growers are just as likely to be male as female....same for slow growers.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
In captivity more tarantulas make it then in the wild bc of the absence of any predation on the spiderlings. Now bc in captivity some of the weaker ones will survive in human care, you will see a certain variation amongst spiderlings, particularly those in the same sack.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i had 4 B. hamorii that were the same for a while. One of the 4 would take twice as long to molt and it was way smaller than the other. Then (not sure exactly when or how) but it caught up with the others and they are all about the same now.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You could raise ten different slings from the same sac in the same conditions and they could all end up being different sizes after however long, there are a myriad of factors that can affect growth rates from temps and feeding frequency to sex and individual genetics. As long as it's doing alright I wouldn't worry about it.

mgsmid

Arachnopeon
Sounds like the juey is still out on this one. The little one is half the size. Maybe I'll try to make an update to this in a year. Well see

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Sounds like the juey is still out on this one. The little one is half the size.
I'd argue in this case that it's one of the "runts of the litter", this species pumps out 1k+ babies per sac, they're not all going to be "prime specimens".

In any case, it's nothing to worry about, spiders raised in captivity have an infinitely better chance of making it to adulthood than those in the wild.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I've got four GGBs from the same sac, and it's the same story. One of them is significantly smaller, and takes much longer to molt (time between molts, not the process itself) than it's siblings. It is female, as well as two of the other three.

I'm with @The Grym Reaper on the runt theory.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've got four GGBs from the same sac, and it's the same story. One of them is significantly smaller, and takes much longer to molt (time between molts, not the process itself) than it's siblings. It is female, as well as two of the other three.

I'm with @The Grym Reaper on the runt theory.
I think the real problem is that you have four GBBs, you should share some with me :troll: