1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parabuthus transvillosus

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Brian S, May 25, 2006.

1. Advertisement
    Got some of these in yesterday. For those of you that dont know, this is a hybrid "created" in Europe by crossing a male Parabuthus villosus with a female P transvaalicus. While I dont really condone making hybrids like this I admit that curiosity got the better of me. I just hope that everyone that gets these will label their containers and not get this hybrid gene into our pure P transvaalicus pool.
    Like most young scorps they arent afraid to tackle a large cricket
    [​IMG]

Its meal also makes a nice back pack LOL
    [​IMG]

2. darrelldlc

darrelldlc Arachnobaron Old Timer

Yeah they are pretty neat, They seem a bit feisty just like transvaalicus, but they very well might be sterile as hybrids go, kind of like wipers make a false spawning run every spring, they just never truly spawn.
    I am interested to see if they are a faster growing spp too. I am sure they are well on their way on the "Brian S." feeding program {D
    I am keeping mine on straight paver base with a small hide made of peat cup. How are you keeping yours?
    Darrell.

3. CopperInMyVeins

CopperInMyVeins Arachnolord

I'll be interested in seeing what those end up looking like as adults, they should be sterile though.

4. I am keeping them on gravel/sand from the river below my house in a small condiment cup for now. I havent put them in the hot box as there isnt room right now lol

5. ScorpDude

ScorpDude Arachnoangel Old Timer

You shouldn't build houses ontop of rivers you know, doesn't the carpet get wet? {D

6. LOL well a little wet carpet never hurt anyone ;)

7. Curry

Curry Arachnoknight Old Timer

Great pics brian! Wow didn't know they had hybrid scorpions running around.

8. Marshal

Marshal Arachnosquire Old Timer

Ohio
    Hey Brian I think it would also be interesting to see if these hybrids get that venom squirting ability from the P. transvallicus... I hadn't read anything about the P. villosus having a venom squirting capability anywhere...

9. P villosus might be able to spray as are some if not many Parabuthus. However none of my Paras have ever sprayed, not even P transvaalicus.

10. Prymal

Prymal Arachnoking Old Timer

Brian,

I'm currently exploring the possibility of a Androctonus "crassicolor" hybrid. I have successfully mated a wc male crassi with a large wc fem bicolor. The fem is gravid. Now, to see if she'll actually deliver offspring.
    And, not to worry as these will not be made available to the hobby.

Take care...Luc

11. Michael

Michael Arachnobaron Old Timer

Luc,
    maybe you need to try breed whit A.crassicauda and A.australis...:rolleyes:

12. Scorpfanatic

Scorpfanatic Arachnoprince Old Timer

wahahhaah luc, better explain that its not wise to do that if not we gonna have som many crossbreed and end up like wat happen to dog,, only that dogs are bigger and easier to ID...

13. Prymal

Prymal Arachnoking Old Timer

Walton,

I'm quite aware of the negative possibilities of such hybrids **IF** allowed into the mainstream. However, this is just to see if offspring are possible and in the future, if they're reproductive.

Mike,

I've contemplated this type of mating experiment and may attempt such breedings this Late-Summer/Autumn. A. crassistralis - what a fine beast that would make!

Take care...Luc

14. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

According to Newlands, the following species have spraying abilities: P. kraepelini, P. mossambicensis, P. raudus, P. schleichteri, P. transvaalicus, P. villosus.

Cheers,
    Dave

15. Scorpfanatic

Scorpfanatic Arachnoprince Old Timer

hahaha greish brownish scorps ahahha

16. Marshal

Marshal Arachnosquire Old Timer

Ohio

Ah, thanks! That also clears up the question of whether P. liosoma had that kind of ability...

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Arachnosquire Active Member

Any updates?

18. This thread is 11 years old :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoangel Active Member

Odd that people didnt light this post up.... someone else had a similar posr in wanting to cross breed and EVERYBODY tore him up on here wanting nothing to do with it or that person in the hobby

20. drapion

drapion Arachnobaron Old Timer

They turned out to just be P.transvaalicus. female was already gravid when the male villosus was paired with her. I know cause i talked to the breeder and raised 6 of these to adult. But its nice to go back and read a post from the scorp OG's. R.I.P Lucian Ross you are very missed