Papilio's photo thread

matt82

Arachnoknight
Epic sling-shots mate, I love that green sheen on the abdomens of Psalmo-slings. Love that pic with the fangs too! Again, the originals are pretty amazing. such good detail...!

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lovin eye cluster detail these days!...its hard to capture!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Epic sling-shots mate, I love that green sheen on the abdomens of Psalmo-slings. Love that pic with the fangs too! Again, the originals are pretty amazing. such good detail...!
Thanks so much for all the compliments Matt! :) I pretty often have a chance to get grooming and fang shots like that (though I have to use burst mode to catch them!), the slings almost always head down to the moat for a drink and then clean themselves. ;)

lovin eye cluster detail these days!...its hard to capture!
Thanks crawltech! Actually not so hard when I take 500 shots just to get about ten good ones. HA! Doesn't take much camera shake to end up way off focus. :D

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ya i here ya there!...some days the camera hand is so steady, and sometimes it shoots em staright!

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Nice P. cambridgei shots Michael! The fangs shots are crazy! Now that you have a little more time with the A. purpurea, get some shots! :D

p.s. The P. cams are 3i. ;)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. purpurea sling

Nice P. cambridgei shots Michael! The fangs shots are crazy! Now that you have a little more time with the A. purpurea, get some shots! :D

p.s. The P. cams are 3i. ;)
Oops, how embarrassing! :o_O:

Thanks Chad, really glad you liked the P. cam photos! :)

Here's another sling which Chad was nice enough to lend me for a photo shoot. Don't know what's wrong with me, first time I tried they refused to show any color!

Avicularia purpurea 1.25-inch sling by _papilio, on Flickr

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

5 stacked images

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Came through once again with great shots! The eye cluster(4th pic) is my favorite! Good job! :D

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your pics are so freaking AWESOME, man! LOVE them...so much detail...great macro shots!!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. rufilata

Came through once again with great shots! The eye cluster(4th pic) is my favorite! Good job! :D
Thanks a lot Chad! :D Those slings were all great fun! (I like that photo a lot too :))

Your pics are so freaking AWESOME, man! LOVE them...so much detail...great macro shots!!
Thank you Storm, very nice to hear! :D

My largest rufilata, 5-inch, was out of his hide (for once), so I decided to get a head shot.

Poecilotheria rufilata by _papilio, on Flickr

8 stacked images

Get the 1920x1200 Wallpaper here

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Nice shot! I love the "tuffs" of setae they have at their eye clusters. :D

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. irminia

Nice shot! I love the "tuffs" of setae they have at their eye clusters. :D
Thanks again Chad! :D Yeah, those are really cool ... just about every T seems to have them, wonder why?

I hope everyone's not too tired of seeing irminia pics! :) I've had 2 juvies for several weeks, one was really active last night ... I hadn't taken any photos for a while so I grabbed the camera and got a few nice shots before bed.

Psalmopoeus irminia juvie, 3-inch by _papilio, on Flickr

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

Open the 1920px Original

4 stacked images (with an annoying gap :rolleyes:)

Open the 1920px Original

Last edited:

matt82

Arachnoknight
Super P. irminia photos man, wow! All amazing images but that second one stands out as my pick of the lot. I like how you've captured the iridescent green colour, stunning spiders :clap:

Downloaded my Pokie wallpaper earlier Michael, looks great.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh my gosh! *gasps* I love P. irminia and those shots are...*epic error, user out of words to describe*

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. purpurea sling

Super P. irminia photos man, wow! All amazing images but that second one stands out as my pick of the lot. I like how you've captured the iridescent green colour, stunning spiders :clap:

Downloaded my Pokie wallpaper earlier Michael, looks great.
Thanks a lot Matt! :D I was really surprised by all that color. (That's my favorite one too. :))
Glad you like the wallpaper!

Oh my gosh! *gasps* I love P. irminia and those shots are...*epic error, user out of words to describe*
LOL Thanks so much Storm! Really nice to hear ... err, not hear. :D

Wanted to just get a couple more close-ups of Shaggy before I have to hand him back over to Chad. ;)

Be sure to check out the Originals on these! :)

12 stacked images

Open the 1920px Original

5 stacked images

Open the 1920px Original

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Missing photos I

Woops! Sorry, I keep nuking my pics, whenever I make a change to a photo and replace it on flickr the URL changes.

(Whenever this happens I'll try to replace them in later posts such as this ;))

E. cyanognathus (post 34)

Ephebopus cyanognathus juvie male, Blue Fang by _papilio, on Flickr

Open the 1920px Original

A. purpurea (post 66)

Open the 1920px Original

P. rufilata (post 69)

Poecilotheria rufilata by _papilio, on Flickr

1920x1200px wallpaper here

Last edited:

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've wanted one for a long, long time, a truly white adult female H. mac. I'd never actually seen one in person, and I know as well as anyone how difficult it is for photos to tell the truth, so I was ecstatic to see her when she arrived yesterday looking exactly as I'd imagined!

What a an elegant stunner ... and so far I'd have to say that she's as docile as any T that I have.

The new love of my life! by _papilio, on Flickr

Heteroscodra maculata, 5-inch adult female by _papilio, on Flickr

Heteroscodra maculata, 5-inch adult female by _papilio, on Flickr
For all the pictures, one word "Awesome"
Especially i liked these shots!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tbh - I'd like to know what equipment you use and how you do those awesome shots anyways?

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watching my first sac pull! :D

For all the pictures, one word "Awesome"
Especially i liked these shots!
Thank you very much fatich!! :D

Tbh - I'd like to know what equipment you use and how you do those awesome shots anyways?
I use a Nikon D7000, which seems like pure magic to me. It doesn't show up so much in these reduced, or even the 1920px images, but the sharpness, depth and realism at larger resolutions are quite striking ... I'm far from being able to use this camera to anywhere near its potential, but I'm learning! :) I've also been experimenting with lighting quite a bit lately, with some real breakthroughs. A good diffuser is essential ... was a real revelation to me the first time I tried diffuse lighting. And lately I've found what a dramatic effect can be created by backlighting. I use a Yongnuo 560 speedlight, very affordable and I really am happy with it. For diffusion I use various sizes from LumiQuest.

I've mounted this strobe at the end of a Manfrotto Magic Arm, for its extremely stable and versatile lighting placement.

I'm also quite impressed with the Tokina 100mm macro lens -- Tokina was started by ex Nikon optical designers, the build is as good or better than almost any Nikkor lens, as is its sharpness, though it has a very, very slight color problem under high-contrast situations.

For my Close close-ups I add a Raynox dcr250 screwed onto the filter threads of the Tokina, which gives about 2.5 times the macro's 1:1 .

If you'd like, take a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/41721083@N03/6694571555 for photos and comments on various aspects of my equipment.

I do everything, including focusing, manually (actually just moving the camera itself on the closest macros), and since that leaves me just guessing most of the time, believe me most of the stuff coming out of the camera is pretty bad! LOL I just take TONS of pictures during a shoot, enough that I can count on the occasional happy accident giving me images which even surprise me when I first see them flashing at full res across my monitor. :) All of my favorite images have been the results of inadvertent chance happenings, and even mistakes.

If I have any special skill it's in the processing vastly more than it is the actual photography. And quite honestly, ultimately it's the Ts which deserve the credit for giving me good images when they happen.

In any case, Thank you VERY much for your compliments! I began photography shooting Ts, it's still all I do with the camera, and I'm genuinely thrilled when others enjoy the images!

Chad and Beth gave me a special treat yesterday, they pulled the sac from Chad's P. cambridgei. I'd never seen it except in pictures ... thanks a ton Chad, now I'm psyched!! :D

Here are a few of the shots I took while I was getting in their way ...

EWL, Psalmopoeus cambridgei, 3mm by _papilio, on Flickr

7 stacked images

Open the 1920px Original

And these are Chad's lovely new pulchers :)

Psalmopoeus pulcher, 1st instar sling, 0.25-inch by _papilio, on Flickr

Open the 1920px Original

Psalmopoeus pulcher, 1st instar sling, 0.25-inch by _papilio, on Flickr

8 stacked images

Open the 1920px Original

Last edited:

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pics of the babies! I hope to get into breeding soon so I too can see such things in person, but for now I'll happily settle for your incredible photography. :)