papilio's mantids

Forcep

Arachnosquire
Those are some really neat photos! I have a Nikon 150mm and Nikon D7100, but my photos are far less sharp :(

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very cool!!!
Thank you Chris! :D

Those are some really neat photos! I have a Nikon 150mm and Nikon D7100, but my photos are far less sharp :(
Thanks a lot Forcep!

Your D7100 is, as I'm sure you know, every bit as sharp as the D800E which I use. Unfortunately these ultra-resolution camera bodies are very demanding, requiring very good glass in front of them in order to shine to their fullest. :)

Another factor is that, even when the full-resolution images of the two cameras appear the same, the full-format camera's image will appear sharper when the two are viewed at the same linear size.

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I especially like this backlit image.

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii, L4

I adopted this one from a friend last week ...

Stagmomantis carolina, Carolina Mantis adult

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With all these mantids on pretty and colorful flowers, I have a sneaky feeling the photographer is going to add in a crab spider.. ;)

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Very eye-pleasing photos!! I'm gonna subscribe to this thread, very nice specimens and your collection looks to be coming along.

-JohnD.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With all these mantids on pretty and colorful flowers, I have a sneaky feeling the photographer is going to add in a crab spider.. ;)
LOL Chris! I suppose that might make for some interesting combats. :eek:

I did find this tiny crab spider on a recent Macro Safari with Chad and several other friends ... it was on Beth's camera lens. :)

Very eye-pleasing photos!! I'm gonna subscribe to this thread, very nice specimens and your collection looks to be coming along.

-JohnD.
Thanks a lot John, I'm really enjoying this extension to my inverts hobby! :D

DARN!!! ... I just missed out on getting some Orchid Mantids from Rebecca. :(
I definitely need to find a new species or two for more variety, apologies for all of the redundancy. Well, shouldn't be too long now before the Idolos reach maturity and get their wild colors! :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh Great and Powerful Idolo!

Idolomantis diabolica, L5

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man, you fed a mantid to another one!

LOL No I did NOT!!

It's a focus stack, only one mantis on each image. {D

I wish my Idolos would give me threat poses like the little wahllie!

Last edited:

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
Haha Yeah I know, mantids are always cuddly like that. :D Seriously it is always amazing to me how sociable they can be with people ... no fear!
Yeah my D. dessicata is like that. He just walks around on my hand anytime I put it in the container. If I take him out he behaves like normal, no difference at all, he doesn't even care if I move or flip over my hand.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah my D. dessicata is like that. He just walks around on my hand anytime I put it in the container. If I take him out he behaves like normal, no difference at all, he doesn't even care if I move or flip over my hand.
That's just so cool!

I hate to anthropomorphize, but with mantids it's hard not to. I recently came across this, writing about his Idolo ...

From my experience they are smarter than people give them credit for. Mine freak people out, there will be a conversation going on and it will sit still and turn its head to whoever is talking like he's following the conversation - even people that are 10+ feet away. And it will head-bob at people sometimes and if you do it back even once he will try his hardest to get you to again even in a room full of people!

BTW, I don't know why I didn't notice it until I shot some macros of one of my Idolos but as of the last molt (L5) it suddenly has these wonderful antennae! So it turns out I'll have a pair to attempt to breed. :)

Idolomantis diabolica, L5 male

Twentytwenty

Arachnosquire
That's just so cool!

I hate to anthropomorphize, but with mantids it's hard not to. I recently came across this, writing about his Idolo ...

From my experience they are smarter than people give them credit for. Mine freak people out, there will be a conversation going on and it will sit still and turn its head to whoever is talking like he's following the conversation - even people that are 10+ feet away. And it will head-bob at people sometimes and if you do it back even once he will try his hardest to get you to again even in a room full of people!

BTW, I don't know why I didn't notice it until I shot some macros of one of my Idolos but as of the last molt (L5) it suddenly has these wonderful antennae! So it turns out I'll have a pair to attempt to breed. :)

Idolomantis diabolica, L5 male
Well, to be fair they're probably smarter than some people :)
Awesome picture, I love those crazy Idolo antennae.