Pandinus Question

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can anyone tell me how to distinguish between P. cavimanus and P. viatoris?
I have just bought the latter, but it looks more or less the same as the cavimanus I used to keep. Any pointers would be most appreciated!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Rich,

does your viatoris have a caved in claw like the cavimanus??

you got it from faunology right?? (his IDs are not necessarily right)

Boris Striffler

Arachnopeon
Hi Rich,

just look at these pics:

_____________ Pandinus cavimanus

_________
Pandinus cavimanus male _________ male chela with distinct dent

_____________ Pandinus viatoris

_________
Pandinus viatoris male __________ male chela distinctly elongated

If it's a female it's a bit more tricky.

To be sure, if your scorpion is male or female, you have to look for the pectines and genital region on the underside (this works with all Pandinus and Heterometrus)

_____________ Pandinus imperator

_________
_______ male _______________________female
longer teeth of pectines_________ shorter teeth of pectines
roundish genital operculum ____ heart shaped genital operculum

Hope that helps,
Boris

P.S.: All pics are clickable and a larger pic will expand.

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Sweet!!! pictures....that site it's just great, cuz it has good information and nice pictures too.
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Boris Striffler

Arachnopeon
Hi Juliancito,

many thanks though I have to recognize that I still have some bugs in the page, as I did not find the time to update it for about 2 years.

Cheers
Boris

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Boris Striffler said:
Hi Juliancito,

many thanks though I have to recognize that I still have some bugs in the page, as I did not find the time to update it for about 2 years.

Cheers
Boris
I noticed yesterday....i tried to go for the english and spanish version, right at the begining and i couldn't...:D ...but that's ok...i was able to see those awesome pictures you got there...very nice distribution too.
Good luck.

Boris Striffler

Arachnopeon
Hola Juancito,

you can go at least for the English version, if you click on the British flag on the frontpage or go this way:

pandinus.net - English version

The spanish version is in preparation, as some friends asked for that, but don't know when to take the time for that.

Hasta luego,
Boris

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Boris Striffler said:
Hola Juancito,

you can go at least for the English version, if you click on the British flag on the frontpage or go this way:

pandinus.net - English version

The spanish version is in preparation, as some friends asked for that, but don't know when to take the time for that.

Hasta luego,
Boris
Na no problem amigo....i'll do it fine with the english version....that way i can practice my english...:D ....btw, if you ever have problems translating something to spanish, just let me know i would be glad to help you any time:)

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seems my innitial assumption was correct. I do have P. cavimanus. Not to worry though, at least it has some nice red colouring! :D

Thanks for the excellent pics Boris. Now I will know what I am looking for!

George,
I didn't get these from Faunology (is that what used to be easy insects?)
I bought them from Rob Pearson.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
yea easyexotics---> faunology

its because he has some P.cavimanus (pic of a female) and some "p.viatoris" with the pic of a male cavimanus, so i just thought u might have bought them off him, seeing his viatoris are probably cavimanus, judging by the pics :)

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I did notice that his pics were the same for both species. Quite honestly though, his prices are a little too high for me.

By the way George, i'm now settled into my fab new job and have a new HEATED bug room! So any supplier leads you might have send them my way!!!

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I saw that on Faunology. Although the prices are high, I've always had great scorps from Les whenever I've purchased. Although, they do need fed up quite some on arrival!

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha the difference of the two looks like how u an diff imperator and loatics and spinifers, by the way Pandius emporer and Heterometrus imperator are of diff sp? or do they have any links in any ways?? :?