1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pandinus imperator max size

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by KevinsWither, Apr 15, 2018.

1. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    Does anyone have any larger pandinus imperator specimens? I swear when I was younger the larger specimens were there. Now the rest seem small. Did time just pass or did something actually happen to the size of pandinus imperator?

2. Nir Avraham

Nir Avraham Arachnoknight

Asia
    Most of the giant ones came from the wild. Now, because of CITES you can no longer import\export WC emperors...
    I've seen some emperor that where about 22 cm...

3. LeFanDesBugs

LeFanDesBugs Arachnobaron

Paris
    There are 2 locales for imperator: a savannah form and a jungle form. The latter having very rarely or maybe even never been imported at any given time. There's a pic somewhere

4. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    I'd bet there is a full range of size due to genetics throughout their range, the largest reported in the tropical forest/jungle and the smallest in general from drier savanna areas as was mentioned. Every once in a while I'd see shipments of huge individuals in a pet store around here, not often though, lol maybe only twice but the big ones were between 7 and 8 inches(mouth parts to stinger). They would get grabbed up fast but I managed to get some scraps, a male and female that were both 6 inches. That I'd see several big ones show up all at once supports the claim that bigger ones do come from specific areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KevinsWither

KevinsWither Arachnobaron

Huh, I wish I can get some large ones.

6. wodesorel

wodesorel Arachnosquire

I have a set of siblings from an old wc mom that was huge, and they all ended up huge as well. They also took 3 years to mature, carried for over a year, ate their mates, only produced one set of offspring each with bad survival rates, and half have already died of what I think is old age. I am hoping the offspring that have survived do well, as they are just as slow growing.

Compare that to my two 'normal' sized ones that were captive bred and purchased before the big ones were born. They started pumping out babies at 18 months, reproduced yearly, had offspring grow as fast as they did, were always together, and I just lost the male a few months ago.

I have to wonder if that is why the nornal ones are more common!