Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo vs P. antinous

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if any of the Pamphobeteus experts could help me (yes, I know the genus is a real mess).

I've seen the "santo domingo" commonly being sold as a variant of P. antinous on European websites, and the pics I've seen of adults look like P. antinous to me, so I always assumed they were indeed a P. antinous variant. However, after looking into it more, it seems they are found in Ecuador (I never bothered to find out where Santo Domingo is until now), while the P. antinous are found in Peru and Bolivia. I also came across pictures of slings of the "santo domingo", and they had the Christmas tree pattern on the abdomen, which P. antinous do not have.

Am I being misled here, or are they two clearly separate species?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering if any of the Pamphobeteus experts could help me (yes, I know the genus is a real mess).

I've seen the "santo domingo" commonly being sold as a variant of P. antinous on European websites, and the pics I've seen of adults look like P. antinous to me, so I always assumed they were indeed a P. antinous variant. However, after looking into it more, it seems they are found in Ecuador (I never bothered to find out where Santo Domingo is until now), while the P. antinous are found in Peru and Bolivia. I also came across pictures of slings of the "santo domingo", and they had the Christmas tree pattern on the abdomen, which P. antinous do not have.

Am I being misled here, or are they two clearly separate species?
Yes both are two seperate species.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I don't think its possible to say with 100% at the moment, but I'm willing to say that they're two different species. The genus needs loads of work...

Ran

Arachnoknight
DSC_0110.JPG DSC_0110.JPG

This is a large juvenile P. Santo Domingo that is close to 6" and you can still see her Xmas tree markings. I have seen adults with visible Xmas tree markings. Definitely two different species (antinous and Santo Domingo).

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 205314 View attachment 205314

This is a large juvenile P. Santo Domingo that is close to 6" and you can still see her Xmas tree markings. I have seen adults with visible Xmas tree markings. Definitely two different species (antinous and Santo Domingo).
Most of the specimens I've seen, even at 6 inches were very dark in color, almost black, so yours is interesting.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are two photos of my old females Pamphobeteus antinous and Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath". Yes even at 7" inches the "Santo Domingo Goliath" will still have the outer line of the Christmas tree image on the abdomen as you can clearly see on mine. Both females molted two weeks prior the photo shoot.

Pamphobeteus antinous - Female

Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" - Female

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are two photos of my old females Pamphobeteus antinous and Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath". Yes even at 7" inches the "Santo Domingo Goliath" will still have the outer line of the Christmas tree image on the abdomen as you can clearly see on mine. Both females molted two weeks prior the photo shoot.

Pamphobeteus antinous - Female

Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" - Female
Your pictures are actually one of the main reasons I posed this question.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your pictures are actually one of the main reasons I posed this question.
The different characteristics that I found with both species is Pamphobeteus antinous has:

1. Thicker femur towards the joint of the patella
2. As stated before no Christmas tree pattern.
3. Longer hair/bristles on the abdomen specially towards the spinnerets.
4. The overall black coloration is like a B. vagans ta velvet black.
5. Babies are an overall dark color no Christmas pattern.

Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" does not have any of the above but does have the Christmas tree pattern. Yes it's black but not like antinous.

Both specimens on the photo were large adult females.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" is the only Pamph which retains its abdominal pattern I think ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When I had some adult w/c antinous 15 years ago, they seemed to have a distinctive kind of short, stiff, 'crinkly' fur on them. Do you find that too?