Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath"

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I just spoke with Chris Young he stated that he imported the species San Domingo which San Domingo, Santo Domingo Goliath and Goliath are just a different terminology of what sellers have listed the same species as.
That clears everything up then! Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, who exactly is Chris Young?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That clears everything up then! Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, who exactly is Chris Young?
Chris Young used to run a business Krazy 8's he imported a lot of different species as well back in the day. We still communicate since he lives a few miles away from me. His business was originally located in California.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Chris Young used to run a business Krazy 8's he imported a lot of different species as well back in the day. We still communicate since he lives a few miles away from me. His business was originally located in California.
Interesting, so the one's in the trade are actually from San Domingo, Dominican Republic, not Ecuador. Man this is confusing. So we should label them Pamphobeteus sp. "San Domingo Goliath"? Interesting. Also interesting that Pamphobeteus sp. "San Domingo" grows slower and is less heavily bodied than stirmi. @Ran could you do some comparison pics if you have a stirmi about the same size as your SDG? Thanks for the info everyone!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I highly doubt there are any Pamphobetues in the Dominican Republic. Perhaps some Phormictopus for sure.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Here are a couple of shots of the Santo Domingo and a stirmi. Both are female the SDG is 6" the strimi is 7". P7141702.JPG P7141710.JPG P5021692.JPG

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have both a Santo Domingo goliath female that is currently 6" and I have quite a few female stirmi from 5" to 10"...the SDG is growing much slower and is definitely not as heavy bodied. I have some juvenile stirmi that were 1.5" when the SDG was 4"...now the stirmi are 5.5"-7". The SDG at this size still has the visible Xmas tree pattern on her abdomen (I hope it never leaves).
Wait, what? I have a female sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" that is currently approximately 4.5" and she lost the christmas tree butt a couple molts ago.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wait, what? I have a female sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" that is currently approximately 4.5" and she lost the christmas tree butt a couple molts ago.
That's pretty weird. From what I've read and seen on specimens that are 7"+ they don't lose their Christmas tree markings. Do you have any photos? It could just be faint.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
As far as I know those names were referred to the same species.

Pamphobeteus nigricolor someone is claiming that the real nigricolor never really made it to the hobby. That the nigricolor that is being sold for a number of years is actually from Ecuador and that it should be listed as Pamphobeteus sp. "Nigricolor" here is a link photos of the suppose to be the real nigricolor from Colombia and on this link they have a species listed only as Pamphobeteus sp. "Goliath" http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Board&boardID=91 http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2230
The real nigricolor IS in the hobby, at least over here in Europe and DOES NOT have the Christmas tree pattern. Those with the christmas tree pattern are sp. "nigricolor" and are indeed from Ecuador, while the real nigricolor is from Colombia and maybe Bolivia :)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The real nigricolor IS in the hobby, at least over here in Europe and DOES NOT have the Christmas tree pattern. Those with the christmas tree pattern are sp. "nigricolor" and are indeed from Ecuador, while the real nigricolor is from Colombia and maybe Bolivia :)
If you know of someone that has one available can you have them post a photo or if you can get a photo so we can see a clear view of the species?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's pretty weird. From what I've read and seen on specimens that are 7"+ they don't lose their Christmas tree markings. Do you have any photos? It could just be faint.
If you notice from my photo you see the Christmas tree pattern still visible not like when they are babies but it's still noticeable. My female was at least 7" inches when the photo was taken.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If someone really has the true Pamphobeteus nigricolor post your photo I like to see it. Evidence is what it's important to have on this thread.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I do see that on Steve123 website he has the Pamphobeteus cf. Nigricolor Ecuador 2.5" inches and Pamphobeteus nigricolor from Colombia 2" inches since he does respond to me can someone ask him to post photos of the two species?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So I do see that on Steve123 website he has the Pamphobeteus cf. Nigricolor Ecuador 2.5" inches and Pamphobeteus nigricolor from Colombia 2" inches since he does respond to me can someone ask him to post photos of the two species?
I sent him an email yesterday, just waiting to hear back.