Pamphobeteus sp platyomma wet molt

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
She'll be just fine. Tarantulas always look like jelly and are extremely exhausted after molting. It will take several days to a week for her new exoskeleton and fangs to harden up. During that time, it'll be tough to resist not peeking at her frequently or touching anything in her enclosure, including the lid. Leave her old exoskeleton (exuviate) in her enclosure, as removing it could stress her, and some Ts just like to cuddle with them or eat them for nutrition. Don't hover around her!
Startling her might cause her to bolt and injure her squishy self. She'll nap frequently, and stretch in between in some goofy positions, so don't mistake her yoga for a death curl. She'll also want to wiggle around like she's uncomfortable, or just simply toss and turn. This is normal. After about 5 days to a week, you'll start to see her taking on a less-pallid color. At about a week, her fangs should be hard and she'll be hungry. You can feel free to feed her then. Offering prey too soon might cause her to break a fang that hasn't hardened, or even worse, have that prey critter feed on your girl's still-soft body and kill/injure her.
I've attached a picture of IMG-1149.jpg my homie, Chocolate Rain III, a Curly Hair, after a molt. Her/his yoga posture was pretty shady, especially since he/she dug out all the substrate in their dubia-dish to molt there. There's an idea of what to expect. They lay in that position, writhing and kicking, looking like jelly for almost 24 hours before flipping right side up. Today, they are absolutely fine!
The only time you should need to panic as an aracho-parent is if your little buddy is bleeding hemolymph (milky white fluid), or is stuck in their molt. Every other crazy thing they do, and how bizarre they look, is just part of the process!

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Doesn't look normal to me. A tarantula should come out bigger with more vibrant colors after a molt. Even though tarantulas are pretty light colored right after a molt, that spider is eerily white. The pattern on the carapace that many pamphos are known for are gone, as well has the setae that cover the top part of the chelicerae under the eyes. There just seems to be less setae overall, including urticating hairs (might be a good thing?). If it has been 14 days it should be around the time to feed it, you can try and see if it takes food.

Rick Ocon

Arachnopeon
Doesn't look normal to me. A tarantula should come out bigger with more vibrant colors after a molt. Even though tarantulas are pretty light colored right after a molt, that spider is eerily white. The pattern on the carapace that many pamphos are known for are gone, as well has the setae that cover the top part of the chelicerae under the eyes. There just seems to be less setae overall, including urticating hairs (might be a good thing?). If it has been 14 days it should be around the time to feed it, you can try and see if it takes food.
Yeah not normal. So worried cuz she's too weak.

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
Hey RickOcon,
My 1.0 P. sp mascara molted last Sunday after more than 4 months. He had an "aborted molt" like 2 months ago (got on his back for presumably molting, then got slightly disturbed and went back on his feet). This last molt he put on some EXTREME size. As if he completed 2 molts in 1. oÔ His 0.1 counterpart used to be of a somewhat similar size, now after they both molted she's really bein' dwarfed (even her legs seem thin). Btw, his abdomen was huge right before his molt, and shrunk by a lot afterwards.
After his, molt, I was at first quite worried as it looked he didn't have any chelicerae/fangs bc always keepin' his 'head' down. It seemed he could barely stand on his feet (legs not straight/somewhat crooked, body kind of slouchy).
After almost a week, he seems much better already. I guess the huge size gain has caused him some trouble to harden and master these new big legs

Did your P experience any such thing? From your last pic it seems it's holdin' itself in a slightly slouchy manner; I cannot judge regarding the size gain. Anyway, I already fed my P one big mealworm, which he ate without any issue.

I second HooahArmy's opinion, you should not worry too much. Your P will eventually get better, if not in this molt cycle, then in the next one. As long as it can feed, it should be fine.

Hope it'll come along well !
Cheers

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah not normal. So worried cuz she's too weak.
Something definitely went wrong during the molt. All you can do is make sure it has easy access to water and be patient. Hopefully it'll be able to eat and correct this next time it molts, but I would wait an extra week or so to feed it than you normally would, just in case the fangs are taking longer to harden.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Yeah, something is definitely wrong. Try to wait it out and just make sure she has access to water

Marlana

Arachnoknight
This happened to one of my Ybyrapora diversipes females. She looked really odd and her abdomen especially was way off. But she ate fine and had a shorter molt cycle, probably to correct the issue. She just molted again and is back to normal. Hopefully yours fixes next molt 🤞🏼

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Was there anything out of the ordinary you noticed leading up to the moult?
I was literally just about to ask something @Marlana just touched on, was this a shorter moult cycle?

I know I'm providing more questions than answers as I've never experienced this before but I've been thinking about this post on and off so figured I'd ask in case someone else spots something out the ordinary :)

Marlana

Arachnoknight
@AlbaArachnids92 I meant the molt cycle following the weird molt was shorter. I didn’t notice anything before the bad molt. Everything seemed fine until it molted and looked off. Then it molted a month later, when it usually only molts every 6 months. Likely to fix whatever happened during its last molt.

GBBFreak

Arachnopeon
Just to document the case of my male P. sp mascara some more and in pics:
20220812_223417.jpg
20220812_223506.jpg
Every now and then he's just spreading as much as he can. There has to be a reason. See explanation of his case above.
Perhaps your P. sp Platyoma is in a similar case.
Cheers!

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
View attachment 426116
View attachment 426117
Every now and then he's just spreading as much as he can. There has to be a reason. See explanation of his case above.
Cheers!
Your case is normal. You just described a tarantula recovering from a molt, yours just took longer. Abdomens shrinking after a molt is totally normal. All tarantulas spread like that after a molt, it's to regulate the flow in their bodies since their insides also need to recover.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 426116
View attachment 426117
Cheers!
Not similar to the OP's situation in the least. Stretching is normal for all T's after molting. What is not normal is a species that is usually completely covered in an abundance of setae coming out almost entirely bald afterwards, and being a different color and noticeably weaker.