Pamphobeteus machala care???

rapsenaaa

Arachnopeon
Hi I’m from philippines
Just want to know how can I care for my p. Machala sling because here in the Ph is way too hot any tips? Thanks

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I would probably have plenty of ventilation and substrate. I would keep part of the substrate moist most of the time. Just what I have read

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hi I’m from philippines
Just want to know how can I care for my p. Machala sling because here in the Ph is way too hot any tips? Thanks
What kind of temperatures are we talking about? Ts are tolerant of quite high temperatures so unless it is absurdly hot there might not be any issues.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Honestly I don't know. It would probably be fine untill you got into the upper 90's. I think they come from a tropical area like where you live. But they live in the ground on the forest floor. Keeping the substrate somewhat moist in the bottom layers and keeping the enclosure out of direct sunlight would be very important. I would keep it in the coolest room in your house.

rapsenaaa

Arachnopeon
What kind of temperatures are we talking about? Ts are tolerant of quite high temperatures so unless it is absurdly hot there might not be any issues.
Temperature here in ph goes up to 90 or higher so Im a bit scared

Here is one of the more useful pages I've found on the species. I just ordered my P. Machala sling yesterday and am waiting on shipping to find out if this is a good guideline of info:
https://www.theraphosidae.be/en/pamphobeteus-sp-machala/
Thanks but I need some tips how the way they’re kept in captivity with the temps like here in ph btw thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Temperature here in ph goes up to 90 or higher so Im a bit scared
Those temperatures should not pose a risk to your spider. Just keep the enclosure out of direct sunlight (you should do that regardless of temperature).

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks but I need some tips how the way they’re kept in captivity with the temps like here in ph btw thanks!
Temps dont need to be specific...for this species or any species on this planet.

Keep slings over 70f....adults can handle night temps much cooler...max temps for most ts lies in the mid 90 range.
Give them a hide, water dish and enough sub to burrow...although as they grow, they are less likely to burrow or hide....keep part of the sub damp, but an occassional dry out isnt an issue.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I lived in LA I didn’t have air conditioning. Got into the 100s a few times during heat waves, and my P. sp. Machala was fine

rapsenaaa

Arachnopeon
Temps dont need to be specific...for this species or any species on this planet.

Keep slings over 70f....adults can handle night temps much cooler...max temps for most ts lies in the mid 90 range.
Give them a hide, water dish and enough sub to burrow...although as they grow, they are less likely to burrow or hide....keep part of the sub damp, but an occassional dry out isnt an issue.
Nice thanks!

When I lived in LA I didn’t have air conditioning. Got into the 100s a few times during heat waves, and my P. sp. Machala was fine
Woah do you moist all the subs? Or half dry half moist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was usually half dry half moist. But when it was really hot I had to add water every day

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
They are quite hardy, i have mine since last august and they had to endure colder room temperatures in winter down to about 16°C at night or when i was opening the window to ventilate the room. I suspect thats because they arent actually from the northern rainforest regions of equador but from the more arid region around the city machala, hence the name. Sadly i cannot confirm this personally since the breeder i have them from didnt know the area they had been originally collected in as she bought them as well. I would love to know if ifmeone here here has an exact collecting location for their P. sp. machala

Anyway, pls feel free to correct me in this but i would think species living on the forest floor dont have to be quite as hardy as ones that spend their lifes in grasslands, brushes, banana plantages etc. as ahey are much more exposed to the elements.

Warm air can hold much more humidity so if its very humid i dont think you need to dampen the substrate too much especially since the region they supposedly originate from is quite arid.

sry about all that, i think they will do just fine

rapsenaaa

Arachnopeon
They are quite hardy, i have mine since last august and they had to endure colder room temperatures in winter down to about 16°C at night or when i was opening the window to ventilate the room. I suspect thats because they arent actually from the northern rainforest regions of equador but from the more arid region around the city machala, hence the name. Sadly i cannot confirm this personally since the breeder i have them from didnt know the area they had been originally collected in as she bought them as well. I would love to know if ifmeone here here has an exact collecting location for their P. sp. machala

Anyway, pls feel free to correct me in this but i would think species living on the forest floor dont have to be quite as hardy as ones that spend their lifes in grasslands, brushes, banana plantages etc. as ahey are much more exposed to the elements.

Warm air can hold much more humidity so if its very humid i dont think you need to dampen the substrate too much especially since the region they supposedly originate from is quite arid.

sry about all that, i think they will do just fine
Yeah thanks hopefully my machala will survive haha!