Pamphobeteus in captivity

viridis

Arachnopeon
Hello. First post asking for a seemingly searchable answer, not a good impression I suppose. :eek:oh:

I am interested in obtaining information re: Pamphobeteus's behavior in captivity. In particular P. nigricolor that I'm thinking of obtaining. From the search engine, key terms such as "hide", "shy", and "reclusive" seem some what synonymous with this genus, but there are also conflicting reports that I've read that makes me wonder. I am looking for a female display specimen and having a T that is too reserved seem counter intuitive.

I was wondering if someone with an adult P nigricolor would describe their behaviour, specific to whether or not it would make a good display from being out and about. I recognize the variation within individuals, so I guess I'm trying to rather more quantifiable answers.

Thanks for your time.

awiec

Arachnoprince
If you just search Pamphobeteus nigricolor there will be care threads that will talk about their personalities. Sorry to burst your proverbial bubble but pretty much all pamph species act similar, except for the controversial "Chicken Spider"; but that is an entirely different bag of worms. As for your question I can say yes, pamphs are a big mix of "conflicting" habits. My P sp Platyomma does not care for light and prefers to stay out of it, in the evening she will come out and walk around. They can be very bold when they want to be as I've had mine attack the water when I was refilling the dish and she slapped and thumped the entire time during a re-house. I would say you will mostly see the legs and first half of the T, perhaps not the best display but they are a very interesting genus that will give you a show when you feed it. Ultimately these are generally more "shy" but can be easily excitable and they will throw their weight around. So if you stay up late like me then you will have a nice display T as they like the night-time and can be very active, not so much in the day.

viridis

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the good info. No need to worry about any bubbles being bursted, I actually read those posts youre speaking of and still was left wondering for a more specific answer pertinent to 'displayability' - like the answer you've given me here, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again

cold blood

Staff member
Well....I don't have an adult, but I do have one just about 1.25". Most slings are reclusive to some degree, my P. nigricolor however, has never taken a hide, and is always in the open, and is only slightly skittish (nothing like my Nhandu). Incredible feeding response, too, it even attacks the water when I fill its dish. So far it isn't a bit shy, or reclusive. I'm expecting an excellent display specimen.

viridis

Arachnopeon
Thanks for sharing your experience cold blood. You seem like you got lucky with a bolder example. Hence the reason I posted this thread, there is validity in numbers when it comes to variance.

Cheers

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Pamphos are always hungry (except in premolt) and tend to be out often waiting for prey. Their care is like the other big, NW tropical terrestrials: moist substrate, a cork slab retreat, a waterbowl, and moderate ventilation. Your job is to keep putting food in there.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My P. sp. 'Macala' is my most reclusive T out of 34 others. She eats whatever I put in there but I've never her making a kill. She was always at the back of her hide so I recently moved her into another enclosure where her hide *is* pretty much the entire thing. (She has scuplted it out underneath to suit her.) She is also one of my most beautiful spiders, but I'd have to dig her out to see her. With my mighty flashlight I get a good look at purple legs and eyes.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
can't speak to nigricolor, but my platyomma has never once spent a moment in its hide since i got it. just recently molted, was 2.75" before. it mostly sits on the substrate, moving back and forth between "wet" and "dry" sides. when startled it will run on top of it's cork bark hide, but i've never once seen it go in it. sticks its nose in there once or a while but comes back out. must not like the smell in there.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well....I don't have an adult, but I do have one just about 1.25". Most slings are reclusive to some degree, my P. nigricolor however, has never taken a hide, and is always in the open, and is only slightly skittish (nothing like my Nhandu). Incredible feeding response, too, it even attacks the water when I fill its dish. So far it isn't a bit shy, or reclusive. I'm expecting an excellent display specimen.
My nigricolor slings are the same size (possibly same sac?) and behave in exactly the same way... I don't think I have ever seen them hiding and they attack even prekilled prey with real intensity. Certainly possible this might change somewhat as they age, but in my experience increased age/size generally correlates with less skittishness, not more... mine already sit in the open and eat everything that gets near so I can't imagine them become much less skittish. Who knows, though... also depends a bit on the individual spider so you're not guaranteed a good display specimen even if they species is generally "showy."

awiec

Arachnoprince
Pamphos are always hungry (except in premolt) and tend to be out often waiting for prey. Their care is like the other big, NW tropical terrestrials: moist substrate, a cork slab retreat, a waterbowl, and moderate ventilation. Your job is to keep putting food in there.
Nice thing about pre-molt with this species is that it is a stark contrast to their normal personality. Mine when it is in pre-molt acts somewhat "drunk", its very sluggish and it will make a very half hearted attempt at prey like its saying "meh". They will also be more reclusive than normal and mine will web up the entrance to her log. They also seem not to stay in pre-molt fast for a long time, mine has had a very high turnover rate thus far.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Nice thing about pre-molt with this species is that it is a stark contrast to their normal personality. Mine when it is in pre-molt acts somewhat "drunk", its very sluggish and it will make a very half hearted attempt at prey like its saying "meh". They will also be more reclusive than normal and mine will web up the entrance to her log. They also seem not to stay in pre-molt fast for a long time, mine has had a very high turnover rate thus far.
I noticed that with one of my slings yesterday, it made a very passive and absurd attempt at an ambush, and then just gave up. Then actually molted with the cricket still alive in there (this is just a few hours later), so while it was still on its back, I removed the cricket. Normally they attack like they just burst through the gates of Hades.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
can't speak to nigricolor, but my platyomma has never once spent a moment in its hide since i got it. just recently molted, was 2.75" before. it mostly sits on the substrate, moving back and forth between "wet" and "dry" sides. when startled it will run on top of it's cork bark hide, but i've never once seen it go in it. sticks its nose in there once or a while but comes back out. must not like the smell in there.
I concur with this. My Pamphobeteus sp 'platyomma' is just a juvie but is always out and about. It dug a nice burrow but only goes in there to molt and just like everyone else's experience a vicious feeder.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
my pampho and GBB, when in premolt, if i throw in a roach they'll run over to it and start feeling it with their palps but they won't take it down. i've started to refer to my T's in premolt as "petting the roach"