Pamphobeteus and A. Geniculata

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
Which of these, an A. Geniculata or a Pamphobeteus platyomma (or other Pamph), is your favorite? Why?

Which one kicks hairs the most? Is the most defensive? Most visible?

I'm just curious, and I like hearing people's opinions on their tarantulas. Thank you in advance. :)

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I don’t have or know much about either. However, P. platyomma reminds me of a platypus, so it is automatically 10x cuter.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I prefer Pamphos to Acanthoscurria. They are just much more attractive to me, and the care is not much harder than any other T (just give them more moist substrate than you would give an arid species.) I currently have an adult male P. platyomma and a P. antinous sling. The male doesn't kick hairs very much, and usually curls up into a ball when I open the lid to his enclosure. Good feeding response, though...wow.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
I've had a couple A. geniculata slings up to, if I remember correctly, to roughly 1 1/2 inches. Great feeding responses and normally visible throughout the day. Never witnessed hair kicking of the sort. Unfortunately, I've never owned any pamphos sp.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are both very cool spiders, you'll not be disappointed with either of the two...very similar in many respects, both grow fast and eat like pigs.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
P. platyomma look better, however everybody that I can think of wants a P. solaris

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
P. platyomma look better, however everybody that I can think of wants a P. solaris
I have Solaris would like more someday, don’t hair kick unless you rehouse or scare them . It was sold as pinkbloom , my other female got dks . Only one left , my male ended up another species was unable to breed it. Biggest male id ever seen bulky and 8-9” easily, smaller then stirmi but massive!! Wish Ida and more pics . Dono if I got any.

A genic does kick hairs but unless disturbed or rehouse I would not worry about them .
I’m alergic to hairs so I make sure as to not startle them and slowly maintenance, and wear rubber gloves.
I like Both types and there’re less health issue prone to there bigger cousin T stirmi.

Last edited:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Both are really fantastic spiders and you'll be happy with either. Looks wise they both are stunning in different ways(I'm quite partial to the white on black contrast), but Pamphs IME tend to be leggier. Behavior wise my Pamphs have been more skittish, but both eat like dumpsters and grow like weeds.

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
Cool! Thanks for all the responses. The pamphs are really appealing to me, even if they don't have as much of the color contrast as the genic.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Pamphobeteus sp.

The genus is pretty messed up, lots of hybrids out there.
Well whatever my male was he was never bread , the female nearly ate him despite how big he was. He was purple -very epic males. And huge !!’ Lot bulkier then lasiodora males that ive seen.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Since everyone is talking about Pamphos here I want to say I'm a big fan of A. geniculata. I like Pamphos alright, but the genic is just something special. The colors and the pattern and the temperament - A. genic forever!!

cold blood

Staff member

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For me it's a get both situation if they are affordable. If not then it's got to be Pamphobeteus species for me they are just simply better looking in my opinion even the brown/black one's have a lot of hidden colour.
I have 5 Pamphobeteus species in my collection including 2 nigricolor males, machalla male and a male and female Pamphobeteus so mascara those two are my favourite that I have, intact they are some of my favourites period

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Apart from antinous and solaris I'm not really arsed about Pamphs.

If you don't already have a Murderess* then you need a Murderess*.

the genic is just something special. The colors and the pattern and the temperament - A. genic forever!!
The Murderess* approves this message.

*0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata DTTI (Death To The Infidels)