Pampho people...let's talk about females for a minute.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So, obviously Pamphobeteus is a sexually dimorphic genus. The males are more colorful and showy. However, I never hear people talk much about the females. Are all species of female Pampho equally dull, or are some more colorful and attractive than others?

cold blood

Staff member
While not brightly colored like MMs, I would not ever call a female dull, or unattractive. People love G. pulchra, no one disses it because its just black....female pamphs, many anyway, are black, but more spectacularly black than any pulchra on the planet.

They do also change from stark black above, to a more moderate black...

to a chocolaty brown.

IMO all look good.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
So, obviously Pamphobeteus is a sexually dimorphic genus. The males are more colorful and showy. However, I never hear people talk much about the females. Are all species of female Pampho equally dull, or are some more colorful and attractive than others?
Females have some highlights of colour on their prosomas, like P. sp. solaris has some orangey pink, P. sp. platyomma has some pale pink as does P. sp. machala. The girls aren't really drab looking either, they're a really pretty russet to chocolate brown. I really want one actually. Just waiting for warmer temps for shipping.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Pamphobeteus sp Costa has lost alot of her purple but still.

As a young juvenile.

Now after a few moults.

Of course she's not as striking but she's still a stunner.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I can't really comment on this thread with any quality information as my P. platyomma is still a small sling. Pamphobeteus sling coloration is amazing. P. ultramarinus females and insignis females are eye popping.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P. sp. Machala. Not brightly colored, but still really cool
8B076E95-83F6-45C6-9914-CC59F70FCB4B.jpeg

Xenesthis is very similar to Pamphobeteus, and females still have bright pink carapace when adult:
3DE6101C-BC9B-4CEE-A3B8-DBF1CB953D13.jpeg
(X. intermedia)

sasker

Arachnoprince
P. sp mascara is also nice looking, IMO. Depending on how long ago she molted, my girl can really be a nice black-and-tan, plus they are said to be among the largest of the Pamphos. Perhaps not the most colourful one, but I prefer this over the uniform brown of Theraphosa spp.

P sp mascara.jpg

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Females are not as colorful, but still have a bit of color on their carapace (however, sometimes it may almost completely go away as they grow). Although, I have found that it also varies by each individual T as well. I have a two nigricolor females, and one has retained more color than the other. Same with my two platyomma girls, one has a brighter burst on her carapace than the other. Regardless of coloration, this is one if my all-time favorite genus'. Quick, hungry, aggresive, and very far from boring!

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Pamphobeteus females, unlike other genera, don't have as wide a variation in colours and markings. Their differences are more subtle, in many cases, and they have a propensity to dull down considerably between moults. A freshly moulted female looks a lot more vibrant than she did in the days before moulting. My guess is, that is why they have the reputation that they do of being 'dull'.
I quite like the more subtle colouring, so that doesn't bother me at all. However, I can appreciate if someone doesn't really want a dozen females, from different species, who look practically identical - especially when they can be very costly. Why not have a dozen Brachypelma, who look vastly different from each other, instead?
But, this comes from someone who has spent a lot of time coveting a bunch of black Grammostola.

sasker

Arachnoprince
As @Goopyguy56 said, AF Phormictopus spp. are often much more colourful. These tarantulas are also cheaper and go through many interesting colour phases growing up.

If only Pamphos would keep their Christmas tree pattern throughout their lives. That would be something...;)

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
I actually like both Male and female pamphobeteus. I have a Male and female p. Platyomma and as juvies I think my female has the cooler colorations. Both of my I will say are complete psychos. But, even when she matures out I think huge, brown or black spiders are still really cool looking.

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
How dare you call female Pamphos dull

But to answer your question, yes there are some that keep some of their colors. Here are some off the top of my head:
sp. 'flammifera' (females keep the 'horns' on their carapace')
ultramarinus
sp. costa
insignis
nigricolor

and I think petersi does as well. But the juvenile females have similar coloration to juvenile males as well:
08BFDCBF-C1C9-45D2-AB4F-461ADE2E0290.jpeg C91396CF-6333-4C25-A826-9ACD8C658AB9.jpeg 1B780D28-7C94-47F2-825C-621BE5A75585.jpeg

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
How dare you call female Pamphos dull

But to answer your question, yes there are some that keep some of their colors. Here are some off the top of my head:
sp. 'flammifera' (females keep the 'horns' on their carapace')
ultramarinus
sp. costa
insignis
nigricolor

and I think petersi does as well. But the juvenile females have similar coloration to juvenile males as well:
View attachment 300917 View attachment 300918 View attachment 300919
Beautiful Ts and great photos too! I won't mind a bit if my P. sp. Machalla ends up female - I love how stocky and thick they look, and the subtle colours are gorgeous to me.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
If you're into black/brown with pink/purple highlights, this is the T. I wouldn't call a female pampho dull for most species. They just aren't beaming pink/purple like a glow stick as mature males are. They eat like monsters, they never hide, and frankly, they're just the bomb.

sasker

Arachnoprince
They just aren't beaming pink/purple like a glow stick as mature males are.
Indeed! Females of this species would be so much more appreciated if only the males ended up brown and half the size. Keep them for what they are. If you want colourful, go for a GBB. Pamphos and Phormics are fantastic animals and my favourite genera.