Problem Pages loading very slow

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
It's become quite a bit better for me (Opera 47.0.2631.71 stable), but initially loading the page is very slow. Afterwards, loading posts only takes maybe 0.5 secs.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm still running into nights (most prime time, around 7-10 p.m. Eastern) where it is not worth trying to use the forum due to lag.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ok...I take back what i said, it's not fixed. It's painfully slow to use sometimes, even almost unusable, like right now. What gives? Every other web page I normally visit loads just fine. Ever since the servers went down it's been noticeably slower. For a little bit it was just "ok" but it's been getting worse again. 20MB connection, shouldn't be my end and I doubt it is since I'm not noticing it anywhere else, something is definitely jacked up.

Anyone else still having issues besides me?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Holy cow, I've been having these issues for a while now but always thought maybe it's my tech crapping out on me. Good to know its been happening to others.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
You are not alone lol.

Hard to be more active here than the FB group when I have to twiddle my thumbs after clicking a forum link like I've gone back in time to dial-up in a rural area. Doesn't help attract new members either if they experience the same problem :( I've started to open every link in a new tab so I can have other pages loading while I'm reading a different one.

The forums never used to be like this. I'm only on sporadically again these days though but the lag isn't making me want to be more active.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm still having so much lag that I barely visit or post here anymore. Not worth waiting and waiting for anything to load. Frustrating. It's only here on AB. All other sites are super fast for me. Running Opera on Fedora OS (Linux).

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
There was a short span of time when AB was loading slowly for me. It only lasted a few days though. Otherwise it works fine. I use google chrome on PC, but I'm also on my mobile a lot.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I use google chrome on my MacBook and it runs fine for me.

I was using my phone to come on here and found it was pretty slow. I'm trying to not use my phone for things like this, so it worked out for me anyway.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I had a few days, here and there, where forum loaded fine for me too. Not sure what issue is, but lag is crazymaking annoying when it happens so frequently. I never access via mobile phone, just my laptop.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Sorry this is happening. Not sure what it could be. Every time we test it, it works fine for us. We both have tried on our mobile devices and desktop computers. Have you all tried via different methods or different browsers? Clearing cache? Any and all information would be helpful.

Debby

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Loaded fine for me just now -- just like in the old days. No rhyme or reason to why there is lag so often.
But it makes me reluctant to get involved in a thread only to come back and then not be able to follow it.
Basically, during lag, it's like a little box in bottom left corner of browser says "waiting for arachnoboards" and you're just sort of frozen. Refreshing does nothing.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
NOTICE
For anyone who experiences lag (latency). Go to a traceroute web site like http://ping.eu/traceroute/
In the destination box type in arachnoboards.com
Note the three time lists on the results on the right. The greater the time difference between 'hops' is where the lag is. The last two on the list will be the arachnoboards trunk connect and it's server.
Thus you can easily see where the slow down is occurring. More often than not, lag is caused by major trunk connections somewhere midway between you and your destination address.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I forgot about tracing routes lol. I'll definitely do it next time. Seems to still be working ok. Good time for a baseline reading. You can also open a command prompt and type "tracert arachnoboards.com" (I forgot the command but I remembered it could be done locally lol)

I've cleared caches, different browser (IE, usually use FF which was updated shortly before the most recent lag problem), cursing...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
And I forgot Windows finally packed TR, though their version is a right ugly little barstard that leaves you doing IP look ups manually. Congrats MS, you included a program Linux offered 30 years ago.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I spoke too soon. I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but the forum has been slow for me the last couple days, i would have to reload the page one or two times before the full page would finally load correctly..